Source XL "nail" - the truth (some questions)

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
i got this recently cause i was trying to find a nice erig for shatter/bho. Dr Dabber Boost was out of stock (the one im most familiar with) so i decided id grab a source nail xl. Ive actually been dab-vaping with it pretty happily, my only true complaint is that the quartz xl bucket died in like 2 days tops, BUT i was using 30watts for it since i was just getting the hang of this device and this setting gave me GREAT dabs. I also have a Yocan Torch which i still love, but this Source Nail is probably a bit better (i also like being able to switch Sony regular lithium batteries on the fly, though i wouldnt run out of Yocan batteries either). I hear of people using 15watts, that seems pretty low for real dabbing, but i havent tried temp control mode, maybe its stronger. I know its supposedly ideal for erig mode (i use both pen and erig, def love the glass mode)

Okay so mostly i have 2 questions. One has to do with confusion regarding titanium grade. In their poster it says titanium grade 2 (i know they switch up their products all the time so maybe its dated?)

2zs8kz5.jpg

So this clearly says grade 2. However i contacted Source Vapes and asked about this, and they said all their xl/xxl and source orb (or "series 4") nails/buckets are grade 1 no exceptions. I know from many reddit threads that sometimes they have said things that stretched the truth a bit, or so i hear. So i wanted to know from you guys. I dont see much source nail xl debate on here, but def a good amount of source orb, which must be about the same with the nails.

Question 2 is simply about cleaning these nails and im sure its universal with all their bucket nails. So either i burned out the quartz or it just stopped working mid-use ("no atomizer detected"). I realized this was the only nail with some actual coils on the bottom so i wouldnt be surprised if i destroyed that nail. But what i didnt understand is when to clean it. It seemed like with every use there was a bit more of a gelatinous oil that built up (and you could vape it), and once i spilled it out cause there was seemingly too much. When should the nail be cleaned? Cause even with one use or two (even the ceramic im using now around 21wat, within suggested parameters) uses a little bit of oil builds up. Should this be cleaned out pretty much daily with alcohol? (With my yocan torch i tried as much as possible to keep alc out of the coil interior)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my questions!

Last edited:
FractaLSD,
Reactions: JCat

Vaporware

What are you concerned about with Grade 1 vs Grade 2 Ti? Some other grades may be problematic for our purposes, but Grade 2 is very common in the industry and I’ve never heard it called inferior or concerning in any way by anyone who knew what they were talking about. It just seems to be easier to work with.

If you have info about it that I haven’t seen I’d like to check it out since I use Grade 2 Ti vaporizers like the NewVape FlowerPot and the Omni XL VapCap every day, but I’m pretty confident that it’s safe at this point. Unless you think they’re using some other grade with a lot of impurities I don’t see a reason to worry. :)

Vaporware,

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
Well im mostly just trying to figure out whats true and whats not about the vape so far. The people at sourcevape said its all grade 1, just yesterday. Anyway though, i think more importantly:

How often should these nails be cleaned? Especially the coil-less ones? (Ceramic and Titanium). Cause they do get coated with some burnt material even after one use. The Quartz that i burnt out just trying, it would fill up with liquid reclaim real quick

FractaLSD,

Vaporware

Sorry, no idea on that. Every time I look at devices like these I see people talking about atomizers/etc. burning out quickly and being treated as disposable...

I think they'll last longer if you put the right amount in them and clean them regularly, but I don’t know what the amounts or cleaning requirements are for any specific device. I don’t really want to deal with such fragile stuff so I stick to indestructible desktop options like the FlowerPot and dry herb focused portables. :)

PoopMachine

I have one of these. Its great for traveling. Its not near as good as a real enail but when you dont want to pack up your whole rig for the weekend, its a good substitution.

Just make sure whatever mod box you use has got some heft to it. Its kind of a heavy piece with the glass on it.

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
Yeah ive been messing with it, i kinda really like it so far. Mostly using it in pen mode. I realize you can prolly attach that type of glass to other wax pens. Its not worth $140 (regular price is even higher, like 170)
But those bucket nails are sick. As for cleaning, i basically turn it upside down and clean it with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol. Then i run it for 30 seconds to burn off the alc.

Whats a good recommendation for an erig, doesnt have to be portable, for a decent price? Greatly appreciate any advice.

But yeah its a cool pen and an interesting attachment. The only issue i have is that it seems slightly finnicky. It has two "bases" for atomizers, the smaller pen base, and the bigger rig base. One of my included atomizer nails (quartz, 15mm, thing is a BEAST) works fine with the pen base, but the rig base says "no atomizer found". i guess its the connection somehow (i wiped everything down with alcohol, and other atomizers are fine)

I always think about whether or not i prefer the actual Source Nail XL vs yocan torch. Yocan is alot more bang for the buck. I cant help but feel like the SNXL is a bit more potent though, with its awesome nails. The coil nails of the Torch work absolutely fine but i find these are much more like typical dab rig nails. Thats also how i clean/treat them.

Last edited:
FractaLSD,

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
All you people with source orbs, i assume the nails are the same, how long do the quartz last? I still havent gotten to the titanium, and im thinking of getting a 3pk of the xxl quartz nails. Unless titanium is better and lasts longer.

Woth the ceramic it got coated with black ashy matter fast, it still works, but even alc doesnt seem to fully get it off with a cue tip. Plus i didnt like the way the ceramic nail was vaping (at recommended wattage, i dont even use the rig heat up mode thus far, to better control temp)

With alc and a cue tip, i pretty much got the quartz nail to 90% new, but it still wont thread into the rig. So for that im using the smaller titanium, next time i wanna use the glass

If i have to keep replacing nails and its too pricey, ill prolly get a zeus thunder 2 and find some sort of glass attachment. Also the battery that comes with the Source seems stronger than the Zeus

FractaLSD,
Top Bottom