Some battery questions

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
I'm just getting into vapes that require batteries- so questions- I did a search, but did not find- if needed point me to reading material!

Can you have too many batteries?
How often should you be using each battery/What does do not leave unused for extended period of time mean (Example" energizer recommends charging every 6-9 months?)
And alternatively, can you use a battery too often?

I am trying to learn about battery conditioning/life extending-and have found caps and cases to store safely.
Further: Do I need differing batteries for my regulated and unregulated vapes?

Is there anything else to know?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Vapeur Rogue,
Reactions: P.A.M.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I'm just getting into vapes that require batteries- so questions- I did a search, but did not find- if needed point me to reading material!

How often should you be using each battery/What does do not leave unused for extended period of time mean (Example" energizer recommends charging every 6-9 months?)
And alternatively, can you use a battery too often?

I am trying to learn about battery conditioning/life extending-and have found caps and cases to store safely.
Further: Do I need differing batteries for my regulated and unregulated vapes?

Is there anything else to know?
Thank you!

These are not 'normal' batteries like you would buy at the pharmacy or supermarket.
These are lithium-ion cells like they use to power EV cars, they pack an awful lot of power.

They are a bit delicate, and if the envelope is damaged, they can become highly combustible.
So use with care.

As for conditioning, I use mine daily and I'm charging something at least every 36 hours :)
Lithium Ion batteries do require conditioning (don't let them fully discharge!)... what the variables are
on the length of time before they die, I dunno.
Good thing you're thinking of these things, same with the battery caps!

That said, I have a number of palm-vapes that use these, and I have around 6 cells and a standalone charger (charges faster than over USB, easier keeping things ready to go).

Last I looked the best cells were from Sony & LG, and I think Samsung was a rising 3rd.
@divinetribe normally has these cells for sale on his webpage www.ineedhemp.com, and he and others can give you their feedback on the various models in each line. The top Sony & LG's are what I've got, and what a bunch of other folks I know here use.

looney2nz,
Reactions: P.A.M.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Definitely not. I tend to have many 18650's around for my vapes that use them. Get a decent charger, like the Nightcore i4 (can charge 4 batteries at a time, and can charge a variety of common-size batteries) that can charge at least 4 of various size batteries to have plenty of extra charged.

Honestly, everytime you use them, you add were to the battery...However, regularly used batteries will be the healthiest and last the most recharges before they wear out.

Any battery slowly discharges when it is not being used. Secondly, batteries do not like to even be run to absolute zero (large damage can be done every time this happens. Also, be aware that when your vape says that your battery is empty, it is nowhere near completely empty. This is how all batteries work), and sitting on the shelf for long periods of time will cause this to happen. Second, you can kill a battery by letting it sit empty for an extended period of time (weeks to months or more).

To keep batteries that you don't use often enough (I'd say often enough would be a full charge cycle every 3-5 weeks) healthy, you should try to use them for a power cycle (power cycle means start with a fully charged battery, use it all the way down to being ready for full recharge, and then recharge it) at least every four five weeks.

For the vapes that don't have user-changeable batteries, there is no way to have extra batteries, but the rest of the above advice applies.

Ramahs,

Vapeur Rogue

Thanks!
Yes- I forgot to mention I was aware these were not grocery store batteries- just ran across that info in search on how to care for batteries so used it as an example. I don't, and likely won't have any models in my collection that have non user-changable batteries (again- the Firewood 2 was non user changable, but mine is/was defunct and I used it as a trade in.) Not all of my vapes that use batteries use 18650s.

The question regarding type of battery per type of vape was because the brand I am considering- and that was recommended to me locally, (https://hohmtech.com)- the company mentions they partnered with LG-

Has 2 types of 18650, one for regulated, and one for mechs/mods (whatever that is) and the only vaping terms I know are Regulated and Unregulated.

I would be using battery powered vapes several times a week to daily (depending on which butane ones were in rotation, which won't be again until I can find a silent torch due to some other health conditions in the household.)

Last edited:
Vapeur Rogue,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Has 2 types of 18650, one for regulated, and one for mechs/mods (whatever that is) and the only vaping terms I know are Regulated and Unregulated.
A "mech" mod is a mechanical mod. It's the same as saying unregulated.
In the dry-herb varorizing world they call them unregulated. In the nicotine ejuice vaporizer world they call them mechanical.

Vapeur Rogue

Thank you for spelling this out! Different cultural terms can drive me nuts at times!

Vapeur Rogue,
Reactions: Ramahs
Top Bottom