Smokable herbs that are good for the lungs and possibly Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayvay

There is an uptick in covid around the world. I thought I’ll share some information I have gathered regarding somokable herbs that are good for the lungs. As far as I know, Wormwood is the only herb that has research behind it for the use in Covid-19. They use sweet wormwood (Artemisia Annua) in Africa to treat covid-19 as well. Anyway, I’m sure I missed a bunch of herbs that should be on this list. If you would like to add to the list, please do so. If you have personal experiences with smoking/vaping some of these herbs, please share.

Mullein - is mildly relaxing, helps to promote calm feelings, and fights against anxiety. Typically mullein is added to smoking blends to reduce harshness. Mullein is a respiratory tonic. It helps open the lungs, eases spasms, tightness, and cough, and soothes irritation and dryness.

Marshmallow Root - The dried root of marshmallow has been used traditionally to treat cough and sore throat. It produces a sweet, soothing smoke that can be added to blends. Marshmallow root is also useful for bronchitis and other inflammation

Hyssop - has been regarded as a holy herb for centuries, mentioned in the Bible as an herb used to cleanse and purge. Hyssop is often combined with white horehound. It's also used to potentially treat emphysema and purify the lungs because it is an expectorant. Hyssop also potentially soothes irritated mucous membranes in the respiratory.

Korean Ginseng - used in a tonic for restoring balance in the body, Korean ginseng releases many potential medicinal properties when smoked. It dilates constricted vessels in the lungs allowing for deeper and more effective breathing. Korean ginseng also potentially cleanses the adrenal glands and reduces the physical side-effects of stress in your body such as high cortisol levels in the bloodstream.

Tulsi - A tea made with leaves of holy basil is a common remedy for cold, cough and mild indigestion. Holy basil has diverse actions on the respiratory system. It effectively liquefies the phlegm and is effective for cough due to allergic bronchitis, asthma and eosinophilic lung disease

Wormwood - The primary use for wormwood is to fight off intestinal parasites, which is where the herb gets its name.When smoked, wormwood is also a mild pain reliever and causes a pleasant sense of relaxation.Wormwood stimulates the brain to create a calming and relaxing effect. It was also reported to relieve discomforts caused by common cold, pinworms, tapeworm, headaches, dysentery and rheumatism. Early Research Finds Extracts from Sweet Wormwood Plant Can Inhibit the COVID-19 Virus. In ethnobotanical practice, the whole plant is commonly used for treating malaria, cough, and cold

Yarrow flower - dried yarrow flower has a history of being used to help wounds clot. It also helps to clear throat, lung, and sinus congestion. Yarrow flower is a mild stimulant and has anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a popular addition to herbal tea blends that are used to treat colds and the flu.

White sage -The dried leaves of white sage are typically used in smoking blends to improve mood. White sage promotes feelings of relaxation and also boosts memory. When smoked alone the flavor can be intense, so it is often mixed with mullein. White sage also helps to clear the throat, lungs, and sinuses of congestion.

Coltsfoot - This pleasant tasting herb is used to help with sore throats, persistent cough, and breathing problems. Coltsfoot helps to open up the airways and reduce inflammation. It’s also sometimes included in smoking blends to ‘smooth’ the smoke and reduce harshness.The overuse of coltsfoot has reported to cause hepatic veno-occlusive diseases. Therefore it is recommended that liver patients should avoid it. It should also be completely avoided by pregnant ladies and nursing mothers.

White Horehound - If you're like 300 million people around the globe who suffer from asthma, white horehound is about to be your new best friend. white horehound is a very potent anti-inflammatory, specifically regarding respiratory inflammation. In natural medicine practices, it is used to treat bronchitis, whooping cough, and asthma.

Wild lettuce - also called ‘opium lettuce,’ is a painkiller and sedative similar to poppy, but with no risk of addiction. Teas made with wild lettuce relieves pain, cures cough, helps with asthma, alleviates headache, and helps with insomnia. as Smoking Blend: Wild lettuce can be smoked alone or as part of an herbal blend. The effects of smoking the herb are milder than that of the tea, but take effect sooner.

Reference list
https://www.smokableherbs.com/, https://weedmaps.com/ And some others sources

Last edited:

shredder

There is an uptick in covid around the world. I thought I’ll share some information I have gathered regarding somokable herbs that are good for the lungs. As far as I know, Wormwood is the only herb that has research behind it for the use in Covid-19. They use sweet wormwood (Artemisia Annua) in Africa to treat covid-19 as well. Anyway, I’m sure I missed a bunch of herbs that should be on this list. If you would like to add to the list, please do so. If you have personal experiences with smoking/vaping some of these herbs, please share.

Mullein - is mildly relaxing, helps to promote calm feelings, and fights against anxiety. Typically mullein is added to smoking blends to reduce harshness. Mullein is a respiratory tonic. It helps open the lungs, eases spasms, tightness, and cough, and soothes irritation and dryness.

Marshmallow Root - The dried root of marshmallow has been used traditionally to treat cough and sore throat. It produces a sweet, soothing smoke that can be added to blends. Marshmallow root is also useful for bronchitis and other inflammation

Hyssop - has been regarded as a holy herb for centuries, mentioned in the Bible as an herb used to cleanse and purge. Hyssop is often combined with white horehound. It's also used to potentially treat emphysema and purify the lungs because it is an expectorant. Hyssop also potentially soothes irritated mucous membranes in the respiratory.

Korean Ginseng - used in a tonic for restoring balance in the body, Korean ginseng releases many potential medicinal properties when smoked. It dilates constricted vessels in the lungs allowing for deeper and more effective breathing. Korean ginseng also potentially cleanses the adrenal glands and reduces the physical side-effects of stress in your body such as high cortisol levels in the bloodstream.

Tulsi - A tea made with leaves of holy basil is a common remedy for cold, cough and mild indigestion. Holy basil has diverse actions on the respiratory system. It effectively liquefies the phlegm and is effective for cough due to allergic bronchitis, asthma and eosinophilic lung disease

Wormwood - The primary use for wormwood is to fight off intestinal parasites, which is where the herb gets its name.When smoked, wormwood is also a mild pain reliever and causes a pleasant sense of relaxation.Wormwood stimulates the brain to create a calming and relaxing effect. It was also reported to relieve discomforts caused by common cold, pinworms, tapeworm, headaches, dysentery and rheumatism. Early Research Finds Extracts from Sweet Wormwood Plant Can Inhibit the COVID-19 Virus. In ethnobotanical practice, the whole plant is commonly used for treating malaria, cough, and cold

Yarrow flower - dried yarrow flower has a history of being used to help wounds clot. It also helps to clear throat, lung, and sinus congestion. Yarrow flower is a mild stimulant and has anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a popular addition to herbal tea blends that are used to treat colds and the flu.

White sage -The dried leaves of white sage are typically used in smoking blends to improve mood. White sage promotes feelings of relaxation and also boosts memory. When smoked alone the flavor can be intense, so it is often mixed with mullein. White sage also helps to clear the throat, lungs, and sinuses of congestion.

Coltsfoot - This pleasant tasting herb is used to help with sore throats, persistent cough, and breathing problems. Coltsfoot helps to open up the airways and reduce inflammation. It’s also sometimes included in smoking blends to ‘smooth’ the smoke and reduce harshness.The overuse of coltsfoot has reported to cause hepatic veno-occlusive diseases. Therefore it is recommended that liver patients should avoid it. It should also be completely avoided by pregnant ladies and nursing mothers.

White Horehound - you're like 300 million people around the globe who suffer from asthma, white horehound is about to be your new best friend. white horehound is a very potent anti-inflammatory, specifically regarding respiratory inflammation. In natural medicine practices, it is used to treat bronchitis, whooping cough, and asthma.

Wild lettuce - also called ‘opium lettuce,’ is a painkiller and sedative similar to poppy, but with no risk of addiction. Teas made with wild lettuce relieves pain, cures cough, helps with asthma, alleviates headache, and helps with insomnia. as Smoking Blend: Wild lettuce can be smoked alone or as part of an herbal blend. The effects of smoking the herb are milder than that of the tea, but take effect sooner.

Reference list
https://www.smokableherbs.com/, https://weedmaps.com/ And some others sources

You do know about covid vaccines, right?

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I highly recommend the White Sage from that list, it has very nice and detailed flavour. You will be surprised how well it relieves cold and improves respiratory function. It is very terpene rich and it is top of my list. It opens the lungs very nicely and it is a great starter before a session,i feel that it alters the effects on the experience in a good way ,because of the numerous terpenes. If you r using a waterpiece, i would suggest using a dedicated one for those herbs, cause it can stink it up and mess with the flavour.
Also to add to the list , you can enjoy various types of mints, including the intoxicating mint :D.. Also to enjoy vaping wild thyme, i swear there are at least 10 varieties(from total of 350 ) i have came across,the lemony ones are my favorites....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thymus_pulegioides
Skip on Yarrow,Letucce ,Coltsfoot, tastes like ass.Ginseng and any other roots i also do not recommend. Try Blue Lotus or the Pink one :).

Last edited:

sayvay

regardless of what you're smoking, no amount of smoke is good for your lungs.
Smoke can help, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, and a bunch of other respiratory diseases. As a general rule, smoke can help excess fluid diseases, yet is harmful to dry mouth/ cracked skin diseases. Smoking has been in medical pharmacopoeias for thousands of years. Don't always believe what modern medicine tells you. If MD’s had it their way, they’ll have all believe that margarine is the healthier than butter. It's scary that many people get sick by trying to be healthy. Balance is the key, my friend. Good and evil are just an illusion.

shredder

@shredder Why does it even matter if he believes in the vaccine or not, the herbs will help you wether you have it or not ^^

I guess because the vaccine would be the obvious first choice.

This issue isn't new to me. I have asthma, and have tried vaping mullein. Marijuana is also said to help asthma.

No vapor or smoke has helped my lungs. I quit vaping herb completely because it affects negatively. Vaping makes my asthma worse.

If smoking or vaping these herbs helps anyone with covid, or anything else, great. But get a vaccine first, like I said, it's the obvious first choice.

DillGaff

You mean the synthetic virus in a shot?

This video helps explain the mRNA vaccine:

Vaccines help prepare the body to fight foreign invaders (pathogens such as bacteria or viruses), to prevent infection. All vaccines introduce into the body a harmless piece of a particular bacteria or virus, triggering an immune response. Most vaccines contain a weakened or dead bacteria or virus. However, scientists have developed a new type of vaccine that uses a molecule called messenger RNA (or mRNA for short) rather than part of an actual bacteria or virus. Messenger RNA is a type of RNA that is necessary for protein production. In cells, mRNA uses the information in genes to create a blueprint for making proteins. Once cells finish making a protein, they quickly break down the mRNA. mRNA from vaccines does not enter the nucleus and does not alter DNA.

mRNA vaccines work by introducing a piece of mRNA that corresponds to a viral protein, usually a small piece of a protein found on the virus’s outer membrane. (Individuals who get an mRNA vaccine are not exposed to the virus, nor can they become infected by the vaccine.) Using this mRNA blueprint, cells produce the viral protein. As part of a normal immune response, the immune system recognizes that the protein is foreign and produces specialized proteins called antibodies. Antibodies help protect the body against infection by recognizing individual viruses or other pathogens, attaching to them, and marking the pathogens for destruction. Once produced, antibodies remain in the body, even after the body has rid itself of the pathogen, so that the immune system can quickly respond if exposed again. If a person is exposed to a virus after receiving mRNA vaccination for it, antibodies can quickly recognize it, attach to it, and mark it for destruction before it can cause serious illness.

Like all vaccines in the United States, mRNA vaccines require authorization or approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before they can be used. Currently vaccines for COVID-19, the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, are the only authorized or approved mRNA vaccines. These vaccines use mRNA that directs cells to produce copies of a protein on the outside of the coronavirus known as the “spike protein”. Researchers are studying how mRNA might be used to develop vaccines for additional infectious diseases.

Last edited:

sayvay

This issue isn't new to me. I have asthma, and have tried vaping mullein. Marijuana is also said to help asthma.

No vapor or smoke has helped my lungs. I quit vaping herb completely because it affects negatively. Vaping makes my asthma worse.

If smoking or vaping these herbs helps anyone with covid, or anything else, great. But get a vaccine first, like I said, it's the obvious first choice.
I know this is a combustion less form, yet with asthma many people share your experience. They vape weed and other herbs that are supposed to help asthma; yet they find their asthma symptoms flaring up. But one can find scores of information where people testify about smoking these same herbs with a tremendous success in stopping asthmatic attacks. Dr. Buteyko, a Russian doctor from the mid-1900s, discovered that all asthmatic patients had one thing in common at the time of an asthmatic attack, which was low pulmonary CO2 level, yet their blood CO2 levels were inconsistent. A CO2 deficiency produces a PH alkaline shift, which causes many things, including a spasm of the smooth muscles of the bronchi, cerebral and circulatory vessels. When one hyperventilates, their extremities may also stop receiving oxygen, hence they may feel tingles in their hands, feet, lips, and also get lightheaded. This has to do with how strongly the oxygen binds to the hemoglobin.

With asthma, the cure is not necessarily in the phytochemicals one will inhale through the smoke. It is primarily the CO2 that one is inhaling, with the phytochemicals playing a secondary role. While vaping people may take large gulps of air, trying to get higher. This may be hyperventilating, ultimately causing an asthmatic attack on a susceptible person. The Buteyko Breathing Method has a large success rate in getting people to live out their life with no more asthmatic attacks. So I hate to be the antichrist on a combustion less forum, but have you tried smoking those herbs?

sayvay,
Reactions: shredder

florduh

I know this is a combustion less form, yet with asthma many people share your experience. They vape weed and other herbs that are supposed to help asthma; yet they find their asthma symptoms flaring up. But one can find scores of information where people testify about smoking these same herbs with a tremendous success in stopping asthmatic attacks.

Are you implying all or most of those folks who didn't find smoking those herbs irritating, would've been irritated by vaping those same herbs?

I guess it needs to be said again, smoking still involves vaporization. The burning cherry acts like a heater in a vaporizer. It's vaping the unburned weed. Smoking gives you all of the downsides of vaping, plus a whole bunch of extra downsides.

I think it's possible vaping herbs can have health benefits. I find it almost impossible to believe smoking them is better for you than vaping though.

shredder

have you tried smoking those herbs?

No I have not tried smoking them. I have vaped mullein and lavender flowers in the past though. Both alone and with marijuana.

I have read a lot of the accounts, and do not doubt it can help some people. I only can speak for myself. I'm a old welder with worn out lungs.

Plus I get most of the benefits from marijuana by eating it, without the wheezing I got from vaping.

I do use a cart vape on occasion, even that will affect me if I hit it too much, but I haven't vaped herb for quite a while.

shredder,
Reactions: sayvay

sayvay

This video helps explain the mRNA vaccine:

Vaccines help prepare the body to fight foreign invaders (pathogens such as bacteria or viruses), to prevent infection. All vaccines introduce into the body a harmless piece of a particular bacteria or virus, triggering an immune response. Most vaccines contain a weakened or dead bacteria or virus. However, scientists have developed a new type of vaccine that uses a molecule called messenger RNA (or mRNA for short) rather than part of an actual bacteria or virus. Messenger RNA is a type of RNA that is necessary for protein production. In cells, mRNA uses the information in genes to create a blueprint for making proteins. Once cells finish making a protein, they quickly break down the mRNA. mRNA from vaccines does not enter the nucleus and does not alter DNA.

mRNA vaccines work by introducing a piece of mRNA that corresponds to a viral protein, usually a small piece of a protein found on the virus’s outer membrane. (Individuals who get an mRNA vaccine are not exposed to the virus, nor can they become infected by the vaccine.) Using this mRNA blueprint, cells produce the viral protein. As part of a normal immune response, the immune system recognizes that the protein is foreign and produces specialized proteins called antibodies. Antibodies help protect the body against infection by recognizing individual viruses or other pathogens, attaching to them, and marking the pathogens for destruction. Once produced, antibodies remain in the body, even after the body has rid itself of the pathogen, so that the immune system can quickly respond if exposed again. If a person is exposed to a virus after receiving mRNA vaccination for it, antibodies can quickly recognize it, attach to it, and mark it for destruction before it can cause serious illness.

Like all vaccines in the United States, mRNA vaccines require authorization or approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before they can be used. Currently vaccines for COVID-19, the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, are the only authorized or approved mRNA vaccines. These vaccines use mRNA that directs cells to produce copies of a protein on the outside of the coronavirus known as the “spike protein”. Researchers are studying how mRNA might be used to develop vaccines for additional infectious diseases.
So you agree, MRNA vaccines are a synthetic virus? There are multiple ways to label a virus and one of the large classifications is an MRNA virus vs a DNA virus. After that, they label viruses as enveloped and non-enveloped. My point is introducing MRNA into the body to create proteins looks like a synthetic virus to me.

sayvay,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Smoke can help, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, and a bunch of other respiratory diseases.
That's nice, but Covid is not a respiratory disease; respiratory symptoms are just some of many when it comes to this virus.

So you agree, MRNA vaccines are a synthetic virus? There are multiple ways to label a virus and one of the large classifications is an MRNA virus vs a DNA virus. After that, they label viruses as enveloped and non-enveloped. My point is introducing MRNA into the body to create proteins looks like a synthetic virus to me.

Maybe have a look at it again, because it is rather a trigger to let our body produce the necessary protein. Not a synthetic virus.

sayvay

That's nice, but Covid is not a respiratory disease; respiratory symptoms are just some of many when it comes to this virus.
yea, I know it's funny how antiparasitic drugs influence covid, maybe it’s a parasite.
Maybe have a look at it again, because it is rather a trigger to let our body produce the necessary protein. Not a synthetic virus.
You're playing with semantics here. The vaccine companies are above the law, and that is dangerous. Maybe the next president will end the allopathic dictatorship or maybe it will take a world war. One can take a vaccine and die and there is not a dame thing the family can do besides sue the government as the vaccine companies hold no liability.
Again, smoke= vapor+toxic combustion byproducts. The vapor component isn't helpful, but the toxic byproducts are? In people with compromised lungs? That's my confusion here.
It’s the carbon dioxide (CO2) we are looking at with asthma. It is very counter-intuitive, but the body monitors CO2, not the oxygen level. The theory states in asthmatic cases, the body is trying to preserve the lunges CO2. So by introducing CO2 through smoke, especially smoke that also has some helpful chemicals, the body no longer has to constrict the muscles to stop the CO2 from leaving. I don't want to get too much into the chemistry, but in short one way the body stabilizes its PH is through one's breath. When one over-breathes, they can shift the PH towards the alkaline side which may cause the tissues to not get oxygen. The spasm is a protective mechanism that gets out of control. So stop thinking about it as all the carcinogenic products smoke releases, rather I am saying to get some CO2 into the lungs together with some phytochemical that are helpful.

sayvay,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Or maybe just get the vaccine. It's safe, effective and doesn't need to be combusted.

Beside that, I'm not sure your topic (smoking herbs for whatever) is even at the right place. This is „Medical discussion“ in a forum about vaporizing (mostly) cannabis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom