Shatter House vs TerpX

TooShort

Hey all FCers,

Just grabbed some quality shatter from two different dispensaries and was wondering if any other members have had experience with these two wax makers. Currently vaping a little of the shatter house though I must have filled it badly in my Omicron as I don't fill it with shatter often. The taste is delicious, definitely smoother than a lot of the other waxes I've been getting from dispensary. I wish I could answer how well purged it is, but being a noobie oil head I don't really have the experience to say whether this is really good, or just better than the shit I'd been getting. Couple small differences noted between the two, the Shatter House was really solid in my hand, while when I picked up the TerpX it actually got stuck to my finger, just wondering is this a good or bad thing or something that doesn't matter at all. Pics below
dbk5ev.jpg

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
I'm familiar with TerpX but not Shatter House. May I ask which TerpX you got, and where you picked up these two waxes? Which was the more expensive of the two?

Your question, I believe, is why does one stick and one doesn't.

I'm thinking the TerpX you got (depending on where you live) was about $50? It doesn't seem like the Nectar grade they have. The short answer in your case is that the SH is more of a stable oil than the TerpX. Mostly this has to do with finesse in purging.

This does not necessarily mean that the TerpX is under purged, or that there will be a great difference in potency. It can be a number of different things in the extraction process, from moisture in starting material, being winterized, etc. However, I'm guessing the Shatter House is a, well, Shatter, even though it looks a little buddery. Shatters can be easily made to be "safe to touch" if, during a heated purge, you toss it in the freezer.

I have always been pleased with TerpX, especially their Nectars. Their Heavy Duty Fruity is reallly nice. I've never ran in to Shatter House, but it looks good and sounds like you're enjoying it. I'd say the TerpX, while less stable, looks like the better run of the two. The glass like clarity speaks to this. The SH seems to have some particulates in the middle?

TooShort

I'm familiar with TerpX but not Shatter House. May I ask which TerpX you got, and where you picked up these two waxes? Which was the more expensive of the two?
Hey I have Blue Dream Terpx picked up from Ocean View Organics San Jose, unfortunately it was the only shatter they had left at the moment. They also told me they carry Trimlific and PureXtract shatters as well. The Shatter House was actually the more expensive of the two, and I picked that up from Canna Culture San Jose. The TerpX was 50 and the Shatterhouse was being sold at 35 for half a gram, and 60 a full gram.
Upon closer look at the Shatterhouse you are correct there are some impurities in the center, it looks like the tiniest speck of plant matter. A bit dissapointing, but at the same time this makes me excited about trying the TerpX.

Also where is TerpX located? I asked the budtender inside whether they have to get it shipped over from far but she didn't seem to really know much. I assume they're from SoCal?

btw I saw that bho 101 video on the butane thread, gonna have to make a trip to try some of that LaoGrow shatter :)

TooShort,
Reactions: Atomsk

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
They also told me they carry Trimlific and PureXtract shatters as well. The Shatter House was actually the more expensive of the two, and I picked that up from Canna Culture San Jose. The TerpX was 50 and the Shatterhouse was being sold at 35 for half a gram, and 60 a full gram.

Also where is TerpX located? I asked the budtender inside whether they have to get it shipped over from far but she didn't seem to really know much. I assume they're from SoCal?

btw I saw that bho 101 video on the butane thread, gonna have to make a trip to try some of that LaoGrow shatter :)

I've heard of PureXtract but haven't tried them. Saw some Raw Skunk from them that looked pretty nice, but also kinda pricey at $60/g. If you have the chance, get a TerpX Nectar. The difference is $70/G, but compared to the Blue Dream you have, which is probably a trim + nug run (trim being the dominant material), their Nectars are all bud made.

TerpX is central to LA, I believe.

And yeah, Laogrow all the way! It's pricey, but you absolutely get what you pay for, especially when some clubs charge $50 for wax that should really be $35.

Also, I see you're using Omicron carts? What ohm and what voltage? It's kinda hard to get shatters working well enough in a 2.4 cart, even in 1.5's IME. You'll probably have a better experience with Budders, Flakes, Crumbles, or Honeycomb. You'll DEFINITELY love the Nectars in these carts. It's like they're made for each other.

Atomsk,
Reactions: TooShort

TooShort

Also, I see you're using Omicron carts? What ohm and what voltage? It's kinda hard to get shatters working well enough in a 2.4 cart, even in 1.5's IME. You'll probably have a better experience with Budders, Flakes, Crumbles, or Honeycomb. You'll DEFINITELY love the Nectars in these carts. It's like they're made for each other.

Using a stock 3.7 omicron with the 1.5 ohm cart. Would HVD be a worthwhile upgrade? I have been mainly using honeycomb waxes but i'm pretty sure they aren't purged well, been getting a light itchy uncomfortable feeling on my throat. You guys in socal got it good, the only high quality waxes we get are shatters. I shouldn't complain though, at least I'm not forced make my own oil in the middle of nowhere.

TooShort,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Using a stock 3.7 omicron with the 1.5 ohm cart. Would HVD be a worthwhile upgrade? I have been mainly using honeycomb waxes but i'm pretty sure they aren't purged well, been getting a light itchy uncomfortable feeling on my throat. You guys in socal got it good, the only high quality waxes we get are shatters. I shouldn't complain though, at least I'm not forced make my own oil in the middle of nowhere.

Really? I thought the scene was great in San Jose! What about San Francisco, you're like an hour away? I'm sure Oaksterdam should have some really great priced, quality runs. I always hear about it from buddies who've moved down. Grass is always greener, I suppose. I would love to be up the Bay area for the same reason you might like it down here.

The HVD would be dependent on your needs. The two biggest upsides I can see to getting one are using 5ohm carts and being able to make a Mini-Omicron, which would only support 1.5's and 2.4's. If you're dropping the extra cash, maybe you should look in to upgrading your Omicron to a Persei via PlanetVape or D9V, although I'm not sure D9V has an upgrade option for their own vapes.
Get the Persei if:
- You want to use the full range of carts.
- You want to use a good herb vape. The Bender has been serving people well.
- You want to use the Hercules 7.4v, which does everything you throw at it.
- You want more power between charges.

The best benefit to either an HVD or Persei would be that you can use the 5ohms for those high grade shatters you have. I had a great experience my first week with the Persei using a Green Crack shatter that would not work with my 2.4. You should definitely try a 1.5 to see if it works for you. I just get nervous priming it with shatters because I really hate to dry burn them.
that TerpX looks fucking clean:party:
it looks winterized.

edit: i personally prefer shatters over waxes.

Yeah, in terms of overall quality, I'd go with shatters too. I feel like most budder you get at a dispensary came from an old shatter. When I pick up some new 5 ohms from D9 I'll probably be in the market for a good one.

Atomsk,

TooShort

Really? I thought the scene was great in San Jose! What about San Francisco, you're like an hour away? I'm sure Oaksterdam should have some really great priced, quality runs. I always hear about it from buddies who've moved down. Grass is always greener, I suppose. I would love to be up the Bay area for the same reason you might like it down here.

The HVD would be dependent on your needs. The two biggest upsides I can see to getting one are using 5ohm carts and being able to make a Mini-Omicron, which would only support 1.5's and 2.4's. If you're dropping the extra cash, maybe you should look in to upgrading your Omicron to a Persei via PlanetVape or D9V, although I'm not sure D9V has an upgrade option for their own vapes.
Get the Persei if:
- You want to use the full range of carts.
- You want to use a good herb vape. The Bender has been serving people well.
- You want to use the Hercules 7.4v, which does everything you throw at it.
- You want more power between charges.

The best benefit to either an HVD or Persei would be that you can use the 5ohms for those high grade shatters you have. I had a great experience my first week with the Persei using a Green Crack shatter that would not work with my 2.4. You should definitely try a 1.5 to see if it works for you. I just get nervous priming it with shatters because I really hate to dry burn them.

Yeah, in terms of overall quality, I'd go with shatters too. I feel like most budder you get at a dispensary came from an old shatter. When I pick up some new 5 ohms from D9 I'll probably be in the market for a good one.

Maybe there's good stuff in San Jose, I just haven't found it yet, so far the collective I got the TerpX looks promising, they just happened to be sold out of everything except one shatter. SF has a couple places I'm interested in visiting, and I'm not too sure where to go to in Oakland. So far I don't mind the shatter in the 1.5 cart but I'll probably try to whip the shatter into some budder sometime. HVD is starting to look more appealing as well.

TooShort,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
I think you definitely have greater resources than SoCal, what with San Diego JUST starting to have a wax scene and the anti-dispensary measure that passed in LA.

I'm hoping it means that TerpX might move on down to SD because that would be fucking phenomenal.

Hope you find some great stuff, and remember, if you find a TerpX Heavy Duty Fruit, you have to pick it up. The guy in the video hit the nail on the head with it's flavor profile.

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
I swear to God if I had the choices you guys have I'd be in a beautiful,perfect state of stone 24/7. Some folks are truly Living The Dream!
324ef9c97e594ca7a4805be8af03448a_zps93cf9c3d.jpg

Haha, y'know I sometimes take it for granted. And even at our level of spoiling, there's still Colorado to drool about. We need more recreational use states. At least one in the East Coast.

But there is a very nice quality about being able to vape this stuff in broad California daylight. Nothin' like Vitamin D and some THC.

Oh I know,I'm packing my shit to move to Colorado! I got the land and as soon as the house is done I'm outta this Gawd-awful state for good. A major life change purely for the sake of enjoying marijuana in all it's glory. Nope,nothing wrong with that!:tup:

mda232

Try going to Santa Cruz and checking out Norcal Oilman (Avatar OG literally BEST shatter i've ever had), or Rumpwax platinum label. Releaf in Vallejo also but you'll be paying out the ass. i used to go to OVO but I had bad experiences with a couple of their different extracts so I stopped going there..

mda232,
Reactions: TooShort

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
i avoid most wax in collectives.. just because it's easy to whip it up early on, and call it done before a full purge... aside from it being easier to handle, it may look more attractive, but looks can be deceiving.. especially w/ wax IME, because it conceals the clarity of the extract.

i haven't noticed any problems w/ shatters or waxes in the omicron. so far.. w/ 2.4 carts.

right on ShipDit.. that quality change and selections should blow your mind. we are definitely spoiled out here in CA.. never been to CO yet but i have family out there.. you always hear good things about CO.. i try to imagine it some times, then i get vaped and say FuckColorado:nope: ;)

Buildozer,
Reactions: ShipDit
i avoid most wax in collectives.. just because it's easy to whip it up early on, and call it done before a full purge... aside from it being easier to handle, it may look more attractive, but looks can be deceiving.. especially w/ wax IME, because it conceals the clarity of the extract.

i haven't noticed any problems w/ shatters or waxes in the omicron. so far.. w/ 2.4 carts.

right on ShipDit.. that quality change and selections should blow your mind. we are definitely spoiled out here in CA.. never been to CO yet but i have family out there.. you always hear good things about CO.. i try to imagine it some times, then i get vaped and say FuckColorado:nope: ;)
I think you'd like Colorado,it's like like California but without all those damn Californians. Seriously,they're everywhere in that state. And they're weird. Real weird. Gerbil-stuffing weird.
Except for all the fine Californians who frequent FC. They are smart,generous folks that are not affected by the close proximity of the Pacific Ocean. And we all know the Pacific is the biggest asshole out of all the Oceans. It's gotta be tough knowing a surplus submarine could just sneak up at any time,anywhere along the whole coast and some of the larger rivers.
Not Colorado! Nobody's sneaking up on us,we're in the center of the continent and a mile in the air...we're gonna see them coming and can act accordingly.
I do love Cali.,but have completely forgot the point of all this so I'll just kinda slide out...my apologies to the OP. Unless he's a dick.
I'm going to take a little nap now,pretty sure I'll be doing a lot o explaining when I get up...:tup:

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can

Yeah, I hear ya. When it comes to waxes here in San Diego, there are very few places I will trust. After the look / smell test it's really experience with the collectives and their extractors that helps me choose. When in LA, it's just the extractors I know that help me make the decision. Not an option to run my own extracts yet, but that's not to say I haven't been learning everything I can or buying all the pieces for BHO runs one at a time. Found a $100 vac chamber that comes with great reviews on TokeCity that I'll probably be picking up next month.

What kind of shatter are we talking? Glass, or sexy oil? I find glass shatter is the most difficult in the 2.4, mostly because it takes more heat to liquify, and, when going from liquid to solid, seems to harden up way faster and isn't the consistency of most melted-then-cooled down oil. Like, a sexy oil shatter will melt down and reform in to a wax looking consistency, while the glass shatter will look like how Airheads look when you pull a piece off, only tougher. I also notice it'll stick way more in the melted-then-cooled down form.

How do you use your 2.4 w/ your shatter? I'm guessing it takes a lot more patience and a lot more button.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
.......Found a $100 vac chamber that comes with great reviews on TokeCity that I'll probably be picking up next month.

What kind of shatter are we talking? Glass, or sexy oil? I find glass shatter is the most difficult in the 2.4, mostly because it takes more heat to liquify, and, when going from liquid to solid, seems to harden up way faster and isn't the consistency of most melted-then-cooled down oil. Like, a sexy oil shatter will melt down and reform in to a wax looking consistency, while the glass shatter will look like how Airheads look when you pull a piece off, only tougher. I also notice it'll stick way more in the melted-then-cooled down form.

How do you use your 2.4 w/ your shatter? I'm guessing it takes a lot more patience and a lot more button.
cool about the camber.. that made a huge difference.. its so nice not to have to use a hand pump vac. all fucking day. ha. still we would over kill it w/ the chamber and electric pump. it wasn't some exhausting all day thing either.. besides the hand pumps are limited.. the few iv'e used can't quite get to the sweet spot where much more rapid purging happens.

by chance, iv'e only ever used wax and shatter mixed in the omicron.. its not bad, but it does take patience, i figured the 2.4 carts are just like that... because of that i was thinking i would like the 1.5 would be better, but i never went to pick one up. iv'e used glass type shatter and more mold-able shatter in it.. they melt down easy so i figured it would be ok.. and it always worked fine. i don't use them any special way really.. if i haven't been using it, i warm it up w/ some 5sec. warm-up's, and then keep it heated while i rip it. i don't really push its capabilities.. i just accept the 2.4 carts to be a little limiting when it comes to the bigger hits i'm looking for. never wanted to spend the money on the pure gold for it, so maybe i don't know what i'm missing.

Buildozer,
Reactions: Atomsk
Top Bottom