Rogan Josh Goat Curry with Canna-ghee

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
First off, ghee is butter that has had all of the water (and supposedly most of the water soluble components) removed, leaving only milk fats. Cool fact; it won't go bad sitting at room temperature for many months.

Making the ghee was tricky since I first had to make cannabutter (1/3 oz abv plus 1 g fresh mids into ~1/3 lb butter. When you have the cannabutter, place it in a small pot on the stove and place on the lowest possible heat. When the butter is melted, slowly increase the heat. The butter will start boiling, which is evaporation of water. Remove any froth from the top (some proteins you don't need plus it just looks scummy). When the boiling stops, remove from heat. Carefully decant the ghee into a clean, dry container. This is ghee/clarified butter.

1. Melt 1 1/2 cups ghee into a saucepan.
2. Add about 1 lb cubed goat and raise the heat until the goat is browned.
3. Add 2 large cubed onions.
4. Add 2 large cubed tomatoes.
5. Fry for 5 minutes.
6. Add 2 1/2 cups plain yogurt.
7. Cook until ghee/yogurt slightly separates or until it tastes good.
8. Add 1 package 'Shan' brand Rogan Josh Curry mix. Eh, I added 2/3 package and I think it's a bit too zippy.
9. Cook for 5 more minutes.
10. Place into a large slow cooker, add 2 cups water and cook on high for five hours.
11. About 20 minutes before cooking is finished, add raw spinach and 1/2 cup heavy cream.

I figure there are 6-8 servings, each containing from ~1.2-1.6 g. Considering I'm not a particularly good cook (esp with regard to technical skills), I'll lower that to 1-1.2g/portion.

I've still got an hour or so to go, but I've been tasting the gravy (I know it sounds gross) for 3 hours and I'm fairly buzzed. A portion of this might be all I'd want for an evening.

Yeah it's pretty heavy on the butter/cream.

Really been influenced by a Pakistani grocery that I've been going to for a short while.

Tom

(the goat literally dissolves when you eat it)

tdavie,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
you should make "ganja-butter chicken" (not sure if a recipe exists for this, but you get the idea...just replace the ghee with ganja-ghee)...get some garlic naans for it or put it on a bed of basmati rice.

butter chicken is also called "chicken makhani" or "murg makhani" but try to find a recipe thats by "punjabi" people...they are the best cooks of this!

this dish can be very addicting, so watch out!

akwardsauce,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Good lord, it's been about 1/2 year since I've hadIndian/Pakistani food. Supposedly hitting up a Southern Indian curry house tomorrow.

Is there any way to work canna into Gulab Jamun?

Tom

tdavie,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
tdavie said:
Good lord, it's been about 1/2 year since I've hadIndian/Pakistani food. Supposedly hitting up a Southern Indian curry house tomorrow.

Is there any way to work canna into Gulab Jamun?

Tom

damn...i dont know how you do it...so long without indian food is impossible for me...but thats for a different reason...

im sure you can do it in gulab jamun...but it would be reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally good in some kheer (kheer is north indian word & paisam is the south indian word).

its like a sweet milk with a bunch of stuff in it...tastes really nice warm or cool...yummy

akwardsauce,
Top Bottom