Review: Kamry X5 Glass Globe Atomizer

hdrsolutions

Desert Dwelling Dog
I purchased one of these things a few weeks ago, and after running it through the paces decided to post a review. I found this little gem surfing eBay.

9kZ91eg.jpg

There it is next to my K101 (with an 18350 in it). The atomizer on my K101 is a brand new EHPro Kayfun Lite Plus V2 (an extremely high quality clone). It's the best RBA I've ever used and probably the last one I'll ever buy, but this thread isn't about the Kayfun.

Before I found the X5, I was using an IGO-W rebuildable dripping atty for wax, but it was pretty wasteful. I pretty regularly would have to soak the IGO in a shot of 151 and drink the goodness. It was kind of cool that it fully decarboxylated the excess wax and provided me with the equivalent of RSO as a by-product, but it's kinda clumsy and would get all dirty and full of lint in my pocket, not to mention the air holes would constantly clog. The dripping atomizer is now strictly for nicotine, but won't get much use now that I have the Kayfun.

Anyway, the Kamry X5 was 10 bucks on eBay. In case you can't tell, I'm a big fan of Kamry products. Here is the X5 disassembled.

EZWe9mR.jpg

It's an extremely simple design, with a 510 threaded base and a trim piece for eGo threaded batteries. However, it was quite obviously designed for eGo style devices, and because of the cover it won't work on mods with flush 510 connections. The K101 is designed for use with both 510 and eGo threading, so it works perfectly with the X5. If your mod has a flush 510 connection, the Seego Vhit would be your best bet for a globe atty. I may buy a Vhit Glacier soon and review it because there is a significant lack of reviews on these globe attys, but I digress.

The X5 comes with a spare atomizer as well. The atomizer screws into the 510 threaded base, and consists of a metal tube, a ceramic cup, a rubber insulator, and a positive center pin. The design, for all intents and purposes, is identical to a Kanger style bottom coil atty, which means it's rebuildable :)

Out of the box the coil is pretty shitty, consisting of a silica wick wrapped in 34 gauge kanthal that tested at 2.7 ohms. Boo. After about 1/2 gram of shatter, the wick and coil was ruined. Rebuilding it was a breeze, since I used a Protank for a long time and got really good at rebuilding the attys for it. I rebuilt the coil with my go-to combination that works great for wax. For the wick I used steel cable wrapped in SS mesh. I wound a new coil with 8 wraps of 28 gauge Kanthal, which tested at just shy of 1.5 ohms. With a better wick and coil I'm able to get 3 good rips from a small dab. Here it is on my K101.

yCeOM6o.jpg

The bottom line is that this atty absolutely rocks once you put a good wick and coil on it. I like it so much I bought one for my girlfriend too. 10 bucks is an absolute steal for this thing. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, since it seems like a lot of people shoot for sub-ohm monster coils. The X5 is not for sub-ohm builds, but with the way I do it a fully charged 800 MaH 18350 lasts for about 2 days before needing a recharge. All in all I couldnt think of a better portable dab rig. With an 18350 in it the whole setup is a nice 4 3/4" long and carries comfortably in my pocket all day. The other day I was riding the city bus and got stoned as fuck with this thing and nobody had any idea ;)

I'm going on a 4 day camping trip in a couple weeks with a lot of devoted stoners and I have a feeling that 2 fully charged 18650s will last for a whole weekend of dabbing. Do yourself a favor and pick one of these up. For a rebuildable (if you know what you're doing) wax attachment you simply can't do any better. I was pretty much set on picking up the new Seego Vhit Glacier to do a head to head comparison but now I don't see any point. The X5 is everything I need and nothing I don't!

hdrsolutions

Desert Dwelling Dog
So, a little update. Last night I decided to put a huge, BB sized dab on the rebuilt coil. It started hitting really well, but after 4 hits it clogged. The simple solution was to hold the rig upside down and hit it. I ended up getting 10 hits out of one load. The coil I wound was thick enough that the wax that pooled in the cup dripped back onto it. Shit, for 10 bucks this thing is awesome.

On another note, has anyone here used any of the Seego Vhits? The newest one looks just like a e-juice tank. The globe shape definitely doesnt look like a standard ecig, and my GF thought it looked like a meth pipe lol.

hdrsolutions,
Reactions: farscaper

2clicker

Observer
a rebuildable glass globe atty? nice

i still am loving my igo-w for dabbing. not sure what you mean about them being wastefull. i just scrape up the residual oil and put it right on the wick. nothing gets wasted... except for me that is :rockon:

Top Bottom