Reclaim and lung health

RedZep

I'm currently using the new Tempest. I've been putting a lot of hash through it and upon cleaning noticed a lot of solid residue. Luckily the Tempest has a long vapour path and the residue didn't come close to the MP. But it put a couple of questions in my head.

Firstly I would like to know if there are any health implications present in vaping hash that are not present in vaping flower?

Secondly, does reclaim on a vape that goes up towards the MP end create a deleterious effect on lung health?

Something that springs to mind is my sticky Brick. I spent weeks reading as much as a I could about harms of inhaling the butane, and came to the conclusion that it was safe enough. However there are more than a few reports of sticky bricks causing lung irritation to users. It's easy to notice that reclaim travels up the entire mp, and some particulate is clearly entering the lung. I believe this can cause a negative effect in some people.

I also recall my Volcano Hybrid causing coughing day after use. With the vapour coming unimpeded from the bag into the lungs, presumably with particulate also.

TM2 can also cause me some irritation, when using third part glass stems.

it stands to reason that particulate entering the lungs could cause an immune response, and symptoms in certain people. I'm wandering what people know about this topic, and any experience with vapes that highlight this observation. Thanks.

Last edited:

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
IMHO particulate is different than reclaim.

Reclaim is just decarbed live rosin. You can re vape it. Theoretically you can eat it.

vaporized cannabis is just microscopic sized resin carried in air. It solidifies on contact with stems and surface area of the glass and stems. But if it gets into your lungs it’s absorbed.

Particulate on the other hand is bits of organic matter and I’m pretty sure lungs don’t like that.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Sticky cannabis resin is what us vapers inhale. Sticky cannabis resin coating the alveoli and cillia of our lungs. Though cannabis vapor doesn't appear to be carcinogenic and while its infinitely healthier than smoke, it can certainly effect our lungs in negative ways, particularly when deeply inhaled and held in. Our lungs are designed for air, not for resin. That said, many folks are able to process cannabis vapor with minimal negative effect; others cough and wheeze and learn to take half hits or use multiple water/filter devices or quit.

bhasma

Unless you're pulling through tiny pieces of kief there shouldn't be any solid particles in the vapour. Pure resin drips from my Anvil WPA if I don't clean it, and sometimes I scrape it from the base and reuse it. It tastes fine and works well.

Perhaps some hash made by rubbing or trichome collection has a lot of very fine plant material that is more likely to pass through and potentially cause irritation (?)

Last edited:
bhasma,
Reactions: RedZep

RedZep

Sticky cannabis resin is what us vapers inhale. Sticky cannabis resin coating the alveoli and cillia of our lungs. Though cannabis vapor doesn't appear to be carcinogenic and while its infinitely healthier than smoke, it can certainly effect our lungs in negative ways, particularly when deeply inhaled and held in. Our lungs are designed for air, not for resin. That said, many folks are able to process cannabis vapor with minimal negative effect; others cough and wheeze and learn to take half hits or use multiple water/filter devices or quit.
Good point. I haven't developed any problems yet. I guess everyone is different depending on many factors like allergies, or years spent smoking. Or even age.

RedZep,
Top Bottom