Recipe Thread

Farid

I was looking around, and it occurred to me that there isn't a thread here for sharing recipes for non cannabis food. I'm always struggling to think of what to cook, so maybe this thread can help.

I'll start off.

Chili with Beans:

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey or beef
~3 tablespoons of soy sauce (if using turkey)
~1.5 tablespoons of worchestershire sauce
6 cloves garlic
1 medium size yellow onion
4 squares of dark chocolate
1 can diced tomatos
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can red or white kidney beans
1 can corn (optional)
BBQ sauce
Ketchup

Spices:
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
Salt to taste (optional, other ingredients are very salty)

Whole Chilis:
10 dried arbol chili's (use less or substitute with a milder pepper if sensitive to spice)
1 dried ancho chili
1 can Goya "Chipotles in Adobo Sauce"

Process:

1) In a large vessel, break up your dried arbol and ancho peppers, removing the seeds and stems. Boil water in a kettle, and pour over the peppers, with enough water to cover them and then some. Allow to sit and steep for 1/2 hour.

2) In a large pot, add cooking oil, and your onion (finely chopped). Sautee your onion until fully cooked. Then use a garlic press to add 6 cloves of garlic. Allow the garlic to cook with the onion until done but don't overcook.

3) Add your turkey, soy sauce and worchestershire sauce. Cook until browned NOTE: The soy sauce is a good way to make turkey taste more like beef. If using beef, cut back the soy sauce significantly.

4) Add the rest of your spices, and the 4 squares of dark chocolate.

5) Allow to cook for a little bit, then add your can of tomatos.

6) Once half an hour has passed, use a food processor to turn your dried pepper/ water mixture into a paste. Include the can of chipotles in arbol sauce (along with a little water to clean out the can), and pulverize.

NOTE: The canned chipotles add a very nice smokey flavor. The arbols add strong spice. The anchos add a very strong and rich earthiness. If arbol is too hot you can substitute with a more mild chili pepper, or just use fewer. The seeds add lots of heat, also...

7) Add the pulverized chilis to your pot, along with some water to clear out your vessel. Then add a squirt of Ketchup and a larger squirt of BBQ sauce to taste.

NOTE: The flavor will always seem weaker while cooking. Beware of adding too much salty or sweet ingredients - especially the BBQ and Ketchup.

8) Allow to cook down for a while until thick. Once finished, add your washed beans and corn if desired. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, diced green onion, and corn chips.

I'll try and get some Egyptian / Syrian recipes from my wife....

Last edited:

Greenteam

Less ego. More soul.
A Foody Thread! Great idea! I will contribute with this easy and delicious recipe I found years ago. Made it today for dinner. Sorry there is no picture of the result, family was too fast.

Risoni-Risotto
1 medium onion
1 pepper
1 carrot
1 stick of celery
2 cloves garlic
Vegetable Oil
300 g risoni or kritharaki (rice-shaped pasta)
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth, cooked
2 pinches ground saffron
100 g Parmesan, freshly grated
salt and pepper

Dice the vegetables and sauté in a little oil. Add the risoni and a ladle of the broth and stir well. Let it simmer a little and stir in two more ladles of the broth. Mix in the ground saffron.

When the liquid has almost completely been absorbed, add the broth again. Stir often. Continue like this until the risoni is cooked but very firm to the bite. Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan and let it stand covered for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle some Parmesan on top and serve warm.

Last edited:
Greenteam,
Reactions: Farid

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Thanks @Farid, this sounds great. I do sometimes need some inspiration from recipes. I usually improvise when cooking but I've been trying to remember writing down when I make something really good.
I'll be sure to come back!

Tellus,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I usually cook dinner and it's basic at best...
Since my wife's car accident and brain injury, I have had to take over a lot of the cooking and baking.
Considering this was never a strong suit of mine, it has progressed quite nicely!

I do prefer baking or making bread though...

Since I am also born and raised in South African, I will share one of my favourite desserts!
An apple tart that I grew up eating and still do to this day, almost 50 years late!

Mix till creamy:
¾ cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1tsp vanilla

Add:

¼ cup water and mix well

Melt:

60g Marge and add 1cup flour, 1tsp baking powder
Add to creamy mix and mix well

Lightly coat a large pan with lard or butter
Pour into a deep pie dish.

Layer apples on dough, enough to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
Use at least 6 apples

Bake at 190C for + - 30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check that it is baked through

Using a fork, prick the entire surface of the cake and using a knife, loosen from the edges of the pan

Sauce

¾ cup sugar
¾ cup cream or Evaporated Milk

Cook until sugar has melted.
Add 1 tsp Caramel Essence or Vanilla Essence

Pour over hot tart and allow to cool

Some notes:
This is my Mom's recipe and I found it needed to be tweaked slightly due to climate, elevation, humidity etc differences!
I bake on the lowest rack in the oven, just on BAKE and not convection bake.
I also had to lower the temperature to 165C and only cooked it for around 20 minutes.
Just keep an eye on it, the surface should be a nice golden color to indicate it has cooked.

It's delicious cold, warmed up as well as with a nice vanilla ice cream!

Top Bottom