Rebuilding/modifying vaporizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey everyone this is my first post here, I wish I would have found this before I took the plunge and made a purchase. I made the mistake of picking up a vaporite solo from a local headshop but its the only vape I've used so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on. The general concensus seems to be that box style vapes are lacking compared to... well, everything else, which brings me to my question. Can I gut this thing, rearrange the components to a different form factor and have a better product? I know the components aren't top notch, but a heating element is a heating element right? I'm thinking a form factor (verbiage?) Silimar to a vapevilla?

Sticky,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome Sticky. It's not box vapes that are lacking, it's 'cheap' box vapes. They're easier to spot these days, since they all seem to be digital. You'll pay $300 or more for a dependable, accurate digital vape. A safe vape to buy will have a manufacturer's warranty of 2 yrs. or more, and you should be able to contact them as well. If you could track down the Vaporite maker, you'd find a factory in China that's putting different names on the same box. Vaporite=Noble Vapor=Top Vapor=Digi Vapor.

Can I gut this thing, rearrange the components to a different form factor and have a better product?
You could, but you'd probably end up spending more (and getting less) than if you'd just put the money toward a quality vape. No, all heating elements aren't the same. And Vapezilla isn't a great design to emulate.

I'd use the Vaporite. It may work fine for you. Read up here on the models that are popular. Those are the ones that perform and have good value. If you go analog, you can get an excellent vape that'll last for many years and only be out a couple of hundred bucks or less.

max,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I left out some key points in that first post. I only acquired this vape because a buddy paid me for a bong he broke. I'm not at a point right now where I can justify another $100+ smoking purchase. My main reason for this would be efficiency, as smoking related health issues don't really bother me. Another related question: how much does design (not the components used) make a difference in performance? The only reason I chose the vapezilla to emulate was because I found some pictures of the guts and it looked like something I could make myself using the parts I have in the vaporite. I'm also toying with the idea of changing/adding/moving the thermocouple for a more accurate temp reading. Possibly one before the 'bowl' and one after so I could average the two and get a much more accurate temp at the bud. I'm kind of brainstorming out loud here, so any feedback is appreciated.

Sticky,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Sounds like a lucky break ... welcome to vaporland ...

i haven't seen the inside of that vape (can you post a picture?), but does the thermocouple connect to a microprocessor?

i think design can affect performance, but each design brings its own effect and usually requires learning the right technique for that design to get the maximum effectiveness.

i just recently discovered that thermocouple placement makes a big difference in vape performance. my design works much, much better with the thermocouple measuring the hottest part of the heater. So i would suggest measuring all the different locations where you can move the thermocouple and take the hottest one.

Hippie Dickie,

max

Out to lunch
The only reason I chose the vapezilla to emulate was because I found some pictures of the guts and it looked like something I could make myself using the parts I have in the vaporite.
I would try to do a better job of isolating the vapor path from the electronics than Wicked Roots did.

Listen to Hippie Dickie. He knows his stuff. ;)

max,

Hippie Dickie said:
Sounds like a lucky break ... welcome to vaporland ...

i haven't seen the inside of that vape (can you post a picture?), but does the thermocouple connect to a microprocessor?

i think design can affect performance, but each design brings its own effect and usually requires learning the right technique for that design to get the maximum effectiveness.

i just recently discovered that thermocouple placement makes a big difference in vape performance. my design works much, much better with the thermocouple measuring the hottest part of the heater. So i would suggest measuring all the different locations where you can move the thermocouple and take the hottest one.
I haven't had a chance to open it up yet because I want to wait out the last 10 or so days of my 90 day warranty. Only 90 days, must be a quality product lol. I would guess there is no microprocessor, but would it make a difference if it did? My thinking for dual thermocouples was to find some way to put one right before the bud and one right after for a super accurate temp right at the bud.

max said:
I would try to do a better job of isolating the vapor path from the electronics than Wicked Roots did.

Listen to Hippie Dickie. He knows his stuff. wink
Ya that was another reason was drawn to the vapezilla, even a fan in the back forcing outside air directly onto the heating element.

Im pretty pumped about all this, Im thinking I may end up with a pretty nice piece when all is said and done.

Sticky,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
well, i was wondering about the type of thermocouple and what reads the temperature value. i don't know if it is possible to add a second thermocouple.

i've thought about adding a second thermocouple in my vape but ongoing testing of my design shows that one thermocouple is sufficient.

Hippie Dickie,

I guess ill go ahead and open this up and take a few pics when I get a chance. Hippie, are you building your own vape also? Im gonna search for a thread on that right now!

Sticky,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
yes. i call it (for lack of a better name) the "Bud Toaster". There's a thread in the first section.

i started making a personal vape about 8 years ago after reading about the Eterra. Over the last year i have added two Tesla car batteries (roughly D size: 1" diameter by 2 5/8" long) for power and a computer temperature control.

Hippie Dickie,

I just took a look at your thread... holy cow. I don't need or want to put together something that complex, but props for that design! I actually thinking an analog temp gauge, going with the old school look :cool:
I want to use everything I have here, so Ill post an opened up picture later tonight probably. Do you think simply rearranging the parts I have and possibly moving the thermocouple will provide enough benefit to make it worth my while? BTW, I know this model does not have a clear vapor path, which is another issue i would like to address

Sticky,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i'm not an expert on that vape design you have, but beyond making sure it is not broken and is reasonably robust -- or at least identifying the potential points of breakage -- i personally wouldn't invest any time in trying to improve that vape.

Hippie Dickie,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom