Power consumption of SSV?

snokeberry

Hi. Not sure if this has been asked before. I have searched but couldn't find anything.. I've just got myself a silver surfer however it's the US model and I live in the UK. Can I use a step down converter with this and if so what kind of wattage does the ssv run at? Cheers.

snokeberry,

aero18

vaporist
snokeberry said:
Hi. Not sure if this has been asked before. I have searched but couldn't find anything.. I've just got myself a silver surfer however it's the US model and I live in the UK. Can I use a step down converter with this and if so what kind of wattage does the ssv run at? Cheers.

aero18,

snokeberry

It's going to set me back about 35 quid for a 300w step down but I've been wondering how difficult it would be to convert the actual SSV unit? Sorry for the double post.

snokeberry,

aero18

vaporist
Have you tried contacting 7th Floor (if you ordered from them) for a trade to a european model (220)?

aero18,

snokeberry

I didn't get it directly from 7th floor so that's not going to be possible. It was a crimbo present of the missus and she has no concept of plug variation on other continents. She got it off of, wait for it....
ebay! I've been smoking for too long then I finally get the vape I've been after for months and I can't use it. What bollocks..

snokeberry,

aero18

vaporist
You don't need to 'convert' the actual unit. You can buy a power converter/transformer and simply plug it into the device. Pretty easy. :)

aero18,

snokeberry

I think that looks to be the only way forward. I was loath to pick one of these up due to physical size increase of the transformer/converter once you need to load above 100w. I'll go get one later today. Thanks for all the help aero at the very least you've helped determine which step down converter I'll need. Cheers.

snokeberry,

tuttle

It is 120v, not watts. I believe the standard heater is 30w, but if you can check with 7th floor that would be best.

tuttle,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
72 watts can get to vape temp in 40 seconds, 120 watts would be there in about 25 seconds.

Hippie Dickie,

snokeberry

Thats perfect, I thought it would draw wattage similar to hair straighteners or tongs but that's much better. Have not got the step down so I've not quite fucked combustion yet but I'm not too far off now. I'll pick up a 200w voltage convertor tomorrow. Thanks for the info tuttle and hippie and thanks for the great site. I've been lurking for a bit while I've been doing vape research. If it hadn't been for this site I'd be drawing on VP100 now.. Thanks again all.

snokeberry,

smoking Joe

silver surfer used 120 volts with a 40 watt cermic heater. You need a step down transformer. from 220 volts to 120

smoking Joe,

albe

hey this is slightly related... with the SSV (or vapes generally i guess) what are peoples experiences with the energy efficiency/consumption of their vapes?
Particularly for extended use over a couple of hours, do they consume all that much power? Or do people tend to turn their's off between hits. I only fire up my volcano for bag refills, never leave it on. Though with the SSV the manual says its ok to leave running all day so i'll most likely do that with my new one.
(i have a 220v ssv on order, not sure if this would differ in efficiency to a 120.)

albe,

SmogTown

It consumes less energy than 100W incandescent. So energy consumption shouldn't be bad, far less than my pc by a loooong shot :lol:.

SmogTown,

smoking Joe

The silver surfer has a 40 watt heater and to compute the kilowatt hours divide 40 by 1000 equals .04 kilowatt hour. This means that with the silver surfer on for a hour it uses .04 kilowatt hours. Depending on the cost of a kilowatt hour it will cost .04 times price of kilowatt an average of .15 cent for kilowatt hour. so running a silver surfer for one hour cost .006 or a penny a hour to run. Leaving the unit on all day may shorten the life of the heater.

.The Energy or Power taken by an appliance, measured in Watts, is given by the Power formula where Power is "P":

P = V x I

In words, the Power formula is:

Power (in Watts) is equal to Voltage "V" multiplied by Current "I" (measured in Amps).

smoking Joe,

smoking Joe

smoking Joe,

Xero

I am happy this thread moved to what I thought it should. How much it costs to run an SSV. I got my SSV about 2 months ago. I run it almost constantly that I am home. I would rather have it nice and hot to go when ever I want. A friend asked me how much it costs to run. I said I don't give a fuck. It is what it is. I love this little thing and I am happy to learn that it is costing me more like quarters a day instead of dollars.

Xero,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
smoking Joe said:
Pseudonymous said:
Its just a simple way to calculate the cost to run an appliance. There's no need to get into electrical engineering.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2172446_calculate-electric-costs-energy.html
But there's no reason not to, either! Haha.

Pseudonymous,

max

Out to lunch
snokeberry said:
Ahhhh. Thank you. So a step down for over 120 watts should work.
You mean 120 Volts, not watts. The European version is 220V, and since they make both versions at 7th Floor, it should just be a matter of ordering the right version for your location.

As for wattage, regardless of how they're labeled, SSVs draw 25W. A direct quote from the builder- "They only use 25.25 watts full blast."

max,

albe

SmogTown said:
It consumes less energy than 100W incandescent. So energy consumption shouldn't be bad, far less than my pc by a loooong shot :lol:.
:D cheers i did think about what a dumb question it might have been as i was tapping it out on my laptop ... then turning to my ps3 :lol:
still good to know though, makes me feel more green lol

albe,

SmogTown

I figured the power consumption would be very low but my other devices are power vampires. I was trying to poke fun at myself, didn't quite work :lol:.

SmogTown,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
According to the bottom, the SSV is 120VAC (not DC, so Joule's Law isn't quite applicable), 60Hz, and 30W.

Pseudonymous,
Top Bottom