PHASE3 PURITAN

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Greetings FC friends and family!

This thread is being started to generate interest, discussion, and funding for the PHASES3 PURITAN.
The PURITAN is my take on a thermodynamically optimized dry herb vaporizer in the ever popular 8MM format.

puritan-profile.png

puritan-angle-view.png

puritan-side-view.png

purtian-side-angle.png

Note: Rendering shows BLUE for visual illustration purposes only, the actual color of the PURITAN is BLACK (like the ZX)
It's just difficult to see the details in black on the computer.

puritan-black.png

WHY the PURITAN?
This design all started with my desire over the last few years to build an advanced ceramic cooling stem for Dyna's.
Just like the PHASE3 ZX, the goal is essentially the same, achieve the durability of metal, with the clean, crisp flavor of glass.
But every time I would finish working on a design, I couldn't help but feel there was a bit of a disconnect between designing a ceramic stem to maximize flavor, that would ultimately still be paired with a metal oven. I knew it would improve the experience, but I could do better.

To truly increase the purity of the extraction, I would have to make the entire device from ceramic.
Note:
the original design used a machined ceramic screen, but to incorporate that would make this part much more complex and expensive to manufacture, thus for now, the ceramic screen has been changed to use a common mesh screen. This is the only metal part in the actual vape. The benefit of using the mesh screen is it still allows for adjustability between two different screen depths to match your vaping style. The low dose ledge is at 7MM, and the full dose at 14MM. The internal diameter of the oven is 8MM.

Zirconia ceramic has earned the nickname "ceramic steel" by proving itself as the most durable and least brittle of any advanced ceramic. This premium material is medical grade and biocompatible for a safe and clean extraction that you can feel comfortable about using for years to come.

The PURITAN is a single piece of zirconia ceramic, precision CNC machined into my unique unibody design.
The real goal of this concept is to hit a sweet spot between affordability, durability, ease of use, familiarity, and of course, purity. I wanted to design a great vaporizer that you don't need to be a serious enthusiast to enjoy. But something good enough that you might become a serious enthusiast afterwards!

So what do I mean when I say the Purtian has been thermodynamically optimized?
There's a few main components which help achieve this goal.
Let's discuss HEATING first.

First, by building the vaporizer out of zirconia ceramic, an insulative material with only 20% the thermal conductivity of titanium or stainless steel, you transfer FAR less heat into the stem when using the device. This improves heatup times by putting the heat into the oven and not into the body. Better performance, and no burnt fingers.

You'll notice the oven does NOT feature a plurality of spirals, grooves, mazes, or pathways. Just a couple grooves for aesthetics.
While other devices claim to heat incoming air through those methods, we've opted to entirely bypass pushing any ambient air through the oven which causes the system to prematurely cool. Instead, we've saught to truly optimize conduction heat transfer by increasing the contact area between the oven and the temperature indicating cap. By leaving more material on the oven, we also increase the mass to further assist in temperature stability. And yes, the PURITAN works with your favorite Dynavap Cap for temperature indication. We feel Dynavap has pioneered this temperature indicating click in this industry, and rather than take that away from them we want to show our appreciation for innovation and join in on that established ecosystem.

Now onto COOLING!
The PURITAN takes a radically different approach from others in this sector by opting for convection cooling, similar to what has bene employed in conduction concentrate devices such as the M22 and Evolv Cricket.
I've been experimenting with convection cooling since I posted my original QU4D CORE Dyna cooling stem concept, right here on FC.

Convection cooling uses forced air to significantly increase the heat transfer coefficient by generating a NATURAL VORTEX; WITHOUT storing/retaining a bunch of heat inside the vaporizer as traditional cooling units do.
This keeps the vape more cool to the touch, with no additional parts to clean, less active ingredients lost to cooling units, no instruction manuals, and no airflow adjustments. Like a joint, you just inhale. To clean, you just drop it in alcohol.

Refine, refine, refine.
Minimize, minimize, minimize.
Simplify, simplify, simplify.
That's always the goal here at PHASE3.

Don't worry, we still pushed the boundary (literally) by also incorporating turbulent generating ribs inside the body to further disturb the boundary layer of the airstream and promote additional cooling; for an extra comfortable experience with no additional parts to clean. More PHASE3 technology we've recycled from previous prototypes (this one actually comes from a desktop concept)

LENGTH: 75MM
OD: 10MM
MATERIAL: ZIRCONIA CERAMIC
HEATING STYLE: CONDUCTION
COOLING: CONVECTION + CONDUCTION
TEMP INDICATION: DYNAVAP CAP

Thank you kindly for the opportunity to be here and share these concepts with the community.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance.
I sincerely appreciate your interest in my products and look forward to creating more innovative devices and accessories for your enjoyment.

Kindest regards,
Your friendly neighborhood phase change experts,

💚 TEAM PHASE3 (it's really just me) 😄

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'd love to try one!

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

You say that you don't draw ambient air through the oven, how does the vapour get into the air stream? Pressure differential?

Are the little holes around the tip the intake and are they responsible for creating the vortex you describe?

What sort of price point are you expecting?

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Interesting! Great to see this idea taking real life shape, congrats :clap::rockon::cheers:

Do I understand correctly the vapcap is only necessary for heat indicator and the device can be used without it as well, timing the heating yourself?

Any idea on when it'll be available? Price bracket?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'd love to try one!

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

You say that you don't draw ambient air through the oven, how does the vapour get into the air stream? Pressure differential?

Cheers my friend and thank you kindly for checking this one out!

Yeah, since the oven is operating on the conduction principal the vapors just need to be sucked out of the oven. And with the flow rate being metered/limited by the depth of the inlet channels which go up the body/oven, the amount of air entering at the thermal break is not so high as to entirely bypass that vacuum effect being produced to pull the vapors being produced into that downward airstream. Each channel is 0.5MM deep and there is 5 channels.

Also realistically the indicating caps themselves (particularly the captives) aren't concentric enough for zero flow to permeate past those walls, but the overall principal is to minimize the amount of ambient air brought into the oven as that promotes heat transfer which increases the rate at which the oven is cooled.

Are the little holes around the tip the intake and are they responsible for creating the vortex you describe?

The tangential flow from the air inlets will induce turbulence at that junction as its forced to take a very hard 90 degree turn. This will collide into the aerosol/vapor for an immediate cooling effect (furthered by the temperature differential between the vapor and the ambient air)

The spiral vortex is achieved from the turbulence generators located in the body for the conduction cooling component - similar in principal to a rifled barrel.

I want it to come in right at $100 if there is enough interest to pursue this one.

Interesting! Great to see this idea taking real life shape, congrats :clap::rockon::cheers:

Do I understand correctly the vapcap is only necessary for heat indicator and the device can be used without it as well, timing the heating yourself?

Any idea on when it'll be available? Price bracket?

Cheers friend, I hope thanks for checking this one out!

It's really meant to be paired with a temperature indicating cap. The cap helps redistribute the heat from the torch better. Like glass, zirconia doesn't necessarily like to be heated up in just one spot continuously as it is an insulator. It could potentially work without the cap though. But the idea is to leverage temperature indication and induction heater compatibility at the same time.

I will add that one of the inspirations behind this design, rather than going for some ultra heavy hitting convection portable is that I really believe the quick heat up time of these conduction devices is a massive benefit for people trying to get into and stay with vaping.

Availability largely depends on if this one garners enough interest to pursue further. I've already got the green light that this design can be built, and the price to do it, so the potential is there. I always get a little bit nervous about this conduction cooling idea though because I'm not totally sure how many people really "get it."
I've learned that it is really difficult to try and challenge preconceived ideas in this industry as people tend to want what they are familiar with.

I have a bunch of concepts cooking right now, and I'm going to try to pursue whichever one has the most potential to grow this business so I can continue to develop more innovative products. I'm not sure if this the one or not, but it could be!
Looking to come in right at $100.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Here's what it would look like with a more "traditional" airport/carb/air inlet rather than the ring of inlets at the taper. This still provides convection cooling (though not as much as the distance the air travels is less) but it offers the traditional ability to modulate the amount of air coming in. I was always an "airport open" type of guy, so that's why I like the idea of the renderings in the first post, but for those that like to feather the input, or choke the flow off as the bowl is cooling down, this would accomplish that.

puritan-carb.png

I'm sure you've thought of this, but the little diagrams that accompany the Revolve Gen2 by @Brenyo really help dolts like me to understand what's going on inside.

Definitely a good idea, though I'm definitely not nearly as talented at the VFX or renderings as Bren :wave:

Right now, this thread is mostly to help me gauge if there's even any interest in making something like this.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

It's really meant to be paired with a temperature indicating cap. The cap helps redistribute the heat from the torch better. Like glass, zirconia doesn't necessarily like to be heated up in just one spot continuously as it is an insulator. It could potentially work without the cap though. But the idea is to leverage temperature indication and induction heater compatibility at the same time.
For me, although I'm not really your target audience from the sound of it, this would steer me away from purchasing. And for other reasons than mine it could dissuade the market of new vapers you aim to tap into as well, unless you'll be offering newcomers a ready to go product including the cap. I'm not sure if DV uses some influence over resellers though, if not this doesn't need to be an issue at all.

My personal gripe is that I'm put off by the DV cap's flimsiness, every time I used it it gave me the feel of using a subpar product. But, considering the popularity of DV, I'm probably just the rare consumer that's overly sensitive for the durable experience a high end product imo should give. To me a more rugged cap, not the squeezable DV cap style, would turn the product from off my purchasing radar to much more appealing.

Also the idea of a zirc screen is very appealing compared to the mesh. I know it's not even part of the concept, but after reading about the product I can't help myself but selfcenteredly fantasize about other possibilities catering my wishes. A built in zirc screen that's irremovable would be ideal as it truly gives that no-need-to-fiddle experience where it's literally only an iso wash to completely clean it.

And after using the TA, a temp indicating disk doesn't really appeal to me. It feels like an unnecessary addition that afaik also has a shorter shelve life than a cap without it would have. But, of course, for your target market it's an important feature.

Finally, I much prefer the ring inlets over the carb holes in the render in your second post.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I love this idea. The only time I really use my vapcaps these days is with an all-glass "dynavap" (glass tip & stem with a glass screen) from PTGlass used with a low-temp cap. I love the taste and gentle heating glass confers to the flower and I'm sure I'd love an all-zirconia tip and stem even more.

Shame the screen couldn't be ceramic as well without impacting cost.

rollerskater

well, i'm sure interested. the M is the most broadly useful vape i own and this would be a nice upgrade, better flavor with similar durability. do we know if it works as well with a bic or other soft flame on the zirc stem as it does with the metal tips? and i assume a regular dv ccd would fit as well if you wanted to use that instead of a mesh?

GoldenBud

COOLING: CONVECTION + CONDUCTION
great to see the holes below the tip, that would cool the vapor and saved the annoying (imho) condenser. nice idea. but i guess it needs to be heated mainly on the "lowest" part of the cap then? on the "200C"?
TEMP INDICATION: DYNAVAP CAP
well, imho, the dynavap cap is a lot of things but pure clean system, i mean, i think, some of vapor condenses inside the cap and even in a spot you can't reach for cleaning like between the "discs" in the clicking mechanism, maybe there's an option of having a dent on the cap like placing a small hole so the vapor can be cleared even if the user forgets/leaves the cap on? i never thought of dynavap cap as a clean system, and always had been thinking it can lead to more coughing because of this, idk if making ceramic cap/ti cap is possible and need dynavap authorization etc'

maybe playing a tiny hole in the cap's "walls" will be good. and maybe the holes below the tip will help clearing the leftover vapor, idk, need to test it..

for protecting the stem maybe you can have some plastic shield or so, people can drop it to the floor and not every user will re-buy it again... maybe you can create some case like cellphones got case... it's a small device so maybe it's useful for you to do so....

if the leftover vapor gets cleared by the holes under the tip, it's already very intersting thing... maybe because of these holes less vapor is staying inside the cap....

coolbreeze

"VMs" = Vapmans?

As a non-owner (yet?) I hadn't thought of Vapmans in this way … but I guess it makes sense.

["Vapmans"? "Vapmen? … "Vap-persons"?? Hmm.]
Yeah, Vapmans: you're basically heat soaking that copper cone so it's almost all conduction. May be part of why they're relaxing? The ritual and the well-rounded buzz makes it a really sweet way to wind down.

Top Bottom