Papaya for inflammation ??

MinnBobber

Newbie to papaya. Physical therapist recommended it as a natural anti-inflammatory .

I have some dried organic papaya. It is in big strips that are more like jerky than a dried raisin.
1. Should you wash it before using it? I don't know where it's been??? :)

Plan is to cook it up with my steel cut oats to hydrate it as it needs it bigtime.

The hack to freeze papaya worked great. Cut FRESH papaya into papaya cubes that fit into ice cube tray.
Freeze and it's a keeper.

2. Most important question:
would dried papaya contain as many medical goodies as the same amount, but fresh???

MinnBobber,
Reactions: C No Ego

Tranquility

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/1547691X.2016.1149528

None of the studies referenced in the paper above distinguished between dried and fresh. But, the conclusion:
Several studies have shown significant anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory activities of different parts of the papaya plant by different mechanisms. Although extent of maturation, cultivar type, different parts of the plant and extraction method may affect the levels and types of bioactive phytochemicals (Pandey et al. 2015), there were no studies on the effects of these factors on the bioactivity of papaya. To date, in vitrostudies have only focused on the extracts of leaves and seeds and not on the edible parts of the papaya plant. Only one in vitro study has examined the potential anti-inflammatory and immuno-modulatory activities of non-polar extracts of any parts of the papaya plant. Despite the encouraging information available, including a number of in vitro cell line and in vivo (animal and few human) studies, there are no clinical studies carried out to examine the role of papaya in the treatment of CID’s (including cancer) either alone or as an adjuvant to anti-inflammatory drugs. Further, the safety and efficacy of papaya extracts as therapeutically active agents have not been subjected to additional scrutiny using high quality in vivo trials. In general, both the studied plant extracts and the phyto-chemicals in papaya that have been investigated show some promise as potential drug targets for inflammatory diseases.​

hibeam

alpha +
For many years I've come across anecdotal stories of enzyme rich foods that reduce systemic inflammation. I have to beware because many tropical fruits are big migraine triggers for me. Pineapple is also super high in enzymes but I can't eat it. A plant that is a migraine trigger for some but not me is turmeric. I make a tea out of a chopped raw finger sized root by soaking in two cups of boiling water and drink the liquid slowly all morning long. Amazing stuff, mental effects are almost like having a glass of wine, too. I know many people who take powdered turmeric or curcumin extract, but i have much better luck with the raw root in a tea.

Squiby

I drink Golden Milk. My lastest mixture is:

1 tbsp Grated fresh turmeric
1 tsp ground dried turmeric
1/2 tsp ground black pepper to increase bioavailability
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger

Add boiling water to the ingredients above. Sweeten as desired and top up with some cream.

This is absolutely delicious and highly anti inflammatory. I have a cup every morning. It's fantastic!

MinnBobber

I drink Golden Milk. My lastest mixture is:

1 tbsp Grated fresh turmeric
1 tsp ground dried turmeric
1/2 tsp ground black pepper to increase bioavailability
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger

Add boiling water to the ingredients above. Sweeten as desired and top up with some cream.

This is absolutely delicious and highly anti inflammatory. I have a cup every morning. It's fantastic!
..................................................................................................................................
Thanks. I do my turmeric in peanut butter firecrackers, at least for now as I'm not keen on turmeric taste and they hide the taste :)
-small glob of peanut butter for fat to aid absorption + 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder + a couple turns of pepper grinder to increase bioavailability + a little cinnamon . Microwave just until it starts to get melty. Stir and eat. Twice a day

?? I think one only needs like 1:10 or less pepper: turmeric ratio to increase bioavailability from one study I found where pepper can increase bioavail by 2000%. I'll try to find study again--like to zero in on pepper ratio

The fat helper came from something I found but don't understand the how:
Fat plus turmeric will enable the goodies to bypass liver entry and go more directly to bloodstream via the lymphatic system.
Can anyone explain how that works?

I had difficulty finding raw turmeric root and hope organic turmeric powder has all the goodies. Also, one article indicated turmeric root really needs to be heated/cooked (to what degree??) to effectively release its powers. Your boiling tea probably does that.... So the powder is easier, for now.

My tea anti-inflammatory is a varied mix of: black or green tea (mostly Kenyan) plus fresh ginger, fresh basil.

I am trying to slowly work up to liking the turmeric taste :)
And I'm trying to maximize natural anti-inflam for assorted ailments, currently painful plantar fasciitas is at the top of the list. Pineapple and papaya and turmeric and cinnamon and tea and ???

The science of these herbs and spices is quite incredible! I recently found a study from India which looked at a group with severe depression and compared Prozac VS turmeric as a treatment. Double blind study where participants did not know which they received.
Turmeric was as effective as Prozac with none of the bad side effects of Prozac (like suicidal ideations).

I find these super herbs and spices fascinating, and OF COURSE that includes the science of cannabis and our ECS.
Cannabis is king of the herbs and spices but the king's court is awesome too ;)

Top Bottom