Painting a wood vape

hackslasher

So gonna be receiving a beech UD soon, and would like to paint it up. I know with woods, one would usually want to sand first to help the paint hold. This brings me to the delima of not wanting to change any of the properties of the vape and screw it up in someway. Should i just stop worrying and sand it a little? Also thinking if I don't sand, the paints not really going to hold well and start chipping and what not. So curious to know if anyone has any experience in painting their vapes and if so, could they share any tips the make it easier.

hackslasher,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Just like in any basic wood painting, you need a porous surface for the paint to adhere. Most log vapes are highly polished with beeswax or even a finish of some sort. My suggestion would be to specify on your order that you want the unit 'raw' or unpolished. Perhaps tell Dave at UD what you plan to do so that he will leave it natural for you?

Bongologist

JoJo Woodworks
Accessory Maker
I don't think the wood gets hot enough to be creating paint fumes, but it's something you may want to look at. My only concern with painting something you inhale from is off gasing, and it may take awhile for the original paint smell to go away.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I've not researched wood applications, but you may want to look into high temp paints specifically... Some are heat resistance to 1235F degrees.

Just make sure it works on wood before making any investment.

Top Bottom