Orion vs Mageater micro

Momor

I would like to buy my fisrt IH very soon and cannot really decide which one.
I live in France so buing from a european vendor is greatly preferable and my vapcap is a ti woody s with regular cap.
i don't want a wall powered IH

What a like about the Magheater is that it's artisanal and the replaceable batteries. What i don't like is the the "special" power corde to charge it.

What i like about the Orion is the USB C charging and the fact that it automatically detects the Vapcap when inserted. What i don't like is the non replaceable batteries and plastic housing.

I read that the orion could be too quick/too hot for the ti tip with regular cap. If it's really the case that would mean i'll have to also buy a new tip or even tip + cap. The Orion is already more expensive than the magheater so that would make a big price difference.

The magheater micro is cheaper and i like a lot the wood one but there's not a lot of info in the dedicated thread. Having to push a button to activate the heater seems not so troublesome ? I would like to know if it's quick anough to heat up for my likings.
I would like my IH to make my vacpac clicking in less than 10 sec from cold start. I would also like to not have to heat past the click to get good draws.

What's your opinion on those IH ?
Maybe there's another option i'm not aware of ?

Thank you for your help ;-)

Momor,

Weedaholic

I live in France so buing from a european vendor is greatly preferable and my vapcap is a ti woody s with regular cap.

What a like about the Magheater is that it's artisanal and the replaceable batteries. What i don't like is the the "special" power corde to charge it.

What i like about the Orion is the USB C charging and the fact that it automatically detects the Vapcap when inserted. What i don't like is the non replaceable batteries and plastic housing.

I read that the orion could be too quick/too hot for the ti tip with regular cap. If it's really the case that would mean i'll have to also buy a new tip or even tip + cap. The Orion is already more expensive than the magheater so that would make a big price difference.

The magheater micro is cheaper and i like a lot the wood one but there's not a lot of info in the dedicated thread. Having to push a button to activate the heater seems not so troublesome ? I would like to know if it's quick anough to heat up for my likings.
I would like my IH to make my vacpac clicking in less than 10 sec from cold start. I would also like to not have to heat past the click to get good draws.

Thank you for your help
what i do like about the magheater micro is you can remove the battery and use it as a desktop with a 12v power supply.so you are getting a portable and desktop all in one.it has a battery indicator when it is down to 30 per cent the launch button does not light up,something like the orion,the power indicator light turns to blue when it is down to 30 per cent.the magheater also only takes 30 minutes to charge up
I have a orion and it is an aggresive heater if that is what you like.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I have two Mag Heaters, one being the Professional, which is the pre predecessor of the Micro and internally and performancewise the same. The typical heat up time is ~5 seconds when the cap is cold and 2-3 seconds when the cap is hot / warm. You can prolong the heating time by a second or two to gain more toastiness, respecting the click will give you a more flavor preserving hit. It does not need to be „pulsed“ (like we have seen with the older Apollos). I have not used the Orion yet, but from what I see and read it hits quick and hard, but has a hard time providing lower temp hits (a low temp cap might help though), while the MHs are much more flexible.

Again, I have not used the Orion, but totally can recommend the Mag Heaters. If you pre order from him, you might need some patience, but Micros are actually in stock right now.

You will find some demo videos in →the dedicated MH thread and on his →YT channel.

Weedaholic

I have two Mag Heaters, one being the Professional, which is the pre predecessor of the Micro and internally and performancewise the same. The typical heat up time is ~5 seconds when the cap is cold and 2-3 seconds when the cap is hot / warm. You can prolong the heating time by a second or two to gain more toastiness, respecting the click will give you a more flavor preserving hit. It does not need to be „pulsed“ (like we have seen with the older Apollos). I have not used the Orion yet, but from what I see and read it hits quick and hard, but has a hard time providing lower temp hits (a low temp cap might help though), while the MHs are much more flexible.

Again, I have not used the Orion, but totally can recommend the Mag Heaters. If you pre order from him, you might need some patience, but Micros are actually in stock right now.

You will find some demo videos in →the dedicated MH thread and on his →YT channel.
He has a new one on his channel.mag heater tornado.

EDIT: I just seen you posted it already on the mag heater thread.

Texus

Very excited about the Tornado here too. My next device purchase most likely. Temp control for the win!

Texus,

Momor

I think a lot of people are very pleased with their portside mini.
I first ruled out PIpe's IH because i wanted to order from a european seller.
I just discovered that the PSM is sold for 170€ on an EU webstore.
Could you tel me what you really like about it and if you may have some comparison to do with the meagheater.
Price is already more interesting as the Magheater Micro is 178€ with battery and Tornado 238€ with battery

Momor,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Could you tel me what you really like about it and if you may have some comparison to do with the meagheater.

I owned and used the Portside Mini for a few months and was able to compare it to a Mag Heater – so the first and foremost thing I prefer about the Mag Heater is that the activation switch is external instead of being housed inside the coil, which to me is much more comfortable to use. My PSM was a bit slower than the Mag Heater, and it also made me have to release the cap as soon as it clicked, otherwise risking combustion, while the MH allows 1-2 seconds of extra heating, which makes it a bit more flexible in my opinion. Both give you about the same amount of clicks (same cell), but since the PSM is a bit more aggressive, it needs less clicks per session and thus will give you more sessions per charge. With the included charger the PSM takes about 45 minutes to be charged fully, the Mag Heater is ready after about 20 minutes.

Both IHs are excellent in performance, sturdy and reliable.

Momor

I owned and used the Portside Mini for a few months and was able to compare it to a Mag Heater – so the first and foremost thing I prefer about the Mag Heater is that the activation switch is external instead of being housed inside the coil, which to me is much more comfortable to use. My PSM was a bit slower than the Mag Heater, and it also made me have to release the cap as soon as it clicked, otherwise risking combustion, while the MH allows 1-2 seconds of extra heating, which makes it a bit more flexible in my opinion. Both give you about the same amount of clicks (same cell), but since the PSM is a bit more aggressive, it needs less clicks per session and thus will give you more sessions per charge. With the included charger the PSM takes about 45 minutes to be charged fully, the Mag Heater is ready after about 20 minutes.

Both IHs are excellent in performance, sturdy and reliable.
Nice comparison, thank you !
I think i also prefere that the MH lays flat compared to the PSM that is more vertical. It should be more stable on my sofa armrest.
I'm probably going to wait for your review and green light to order the Tornado ;-)

Toivarita

999 Forever

Thank you for your help ;-)
Something I’d like to add to is the mention of the Orion’s sensor for heating and the Magheater’s button. I had a friend who is not cautious or mindful about using my Induction heater (which has a button at the bottom of the heating chamber). When he uses it too rough, he damages the button. Very frustrating because after months of showing him what to do and what not to do, the problem still occurs when he uses inserts the dynavap into the heater too rough and hard.

Toivarita,
Reactions: Momor
Top Bottom