Newbie Question About Flavor

TheEncore

Thank to all here for your knowledge. I've enjoyed learning here at FC.... so much info here it's mindblowing to a newbie.

I'm new to vaporizers having purchased my first and second vapes (Arizer XQ2 for home and Xmax V3pro for a portable) in the last few months. I've decided that flavor is the most important factor for me, partially because I've always been interested in flavors when it comes to food, beer, cocktails, etc. and partially because I think I'm getting more terps/entourage effect if I'm getting more/better flavor.

My first question is whether there are mouthpieces such as J hooks that narrow more at the lip in order to concentrate the vapor, like a tobacco pipe stem does for smoke? Most people seem to focus on open airflow as a positive to make big hits easier with less draw resistance, but doesn't that mean thinner vapor?

My second question is since I rarely go over 392 degrees and am getting fairly smooth hits from my XQ2 with just the glass whip mouthpiece, is there any reason to even try a water piece? I understand that water is generally thought to reduce flavor, but smaller pieces may not? Should I try just a bubbler or ashcatcher? I do still cough a bit, but it's very minor and some hits produce no coughing at all especially under 8 seconds or so. Zero coughing would be better of course, but not at the expense of flavor.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes, check out the J hook thread in the glass section, there is a wide variety of hooks and many have narrow mouthpieces, the best is a right angle hook, spikes can help cooling too, there are ones with narrow mouthpieces, check Ed's TNT for maybe the best option if not going custom from Oregon glass blower but there's a lot of cheap options to from the Rogue wax works and more...

Also yes flavor can be retained well with a small water piece that has minimal diffusion, just a few holes in the perc, or also a recycler feature that entails using more water but less diffusion, lot of movement so it can cool the vapor down and condition it without losing flavor, predominantly used for dabbing concentrates though they do work well for many herbal vapes too...

The vapes you are using are far from my top tier for flavor by the way, I'd highly suggest looking into the tinymight for portable and Heat Island log vape for plugin units that have more pure materials used, glass stem-based vapor path and chamber for easy cleaning and connections on top of the purity, they are also more powerful and efficient in my experience...

Oh and welcome to FC!

TheEncore

Yes, check out the J hook thread in the glass section, there is a wide variety of hooks and many have narrow mouthpieces, the best is a right angle hook, spikes can help cooling too, there are ones with narrow mouthpieces, check Ed's TNT for maybe the best option if not going custom from Oregon glass blower but there's a lot of cheap options to from the Rogue wax works and more...

Also yes flavor can be retained well with a small water piece that has minimal diffusion, just a few holes in the perc, or also a recycler feature that entails using more water but less diffusion, lot of movement so it can cool the vapor down and condition it without losing flavor, predominantly used for dabbing concentrates though they do work well for many herbal vapes too...

The vapes you are using are far from my top tier for flavor by the way, I'd highly suggest looking into the tinymight for portable and Heat Island log vape for plugin units that have more pure materials used, glass stem-based vapor path and chamber for easy cleaning and connections on top of the purity, they are also more powerful and efficient in my experience...

Oh and welcome to FC!
SS, thanks for your replies on both of my threads.,, you are FC Royalty! A third vape for 2022 has to wait until Christmas... I'm going to go to Ed's or Rogue as per your recommendations. Looking at these now I understand what's going on... the vapor pathway curves through the mouthpiece for a much longer pathway and I think that also means a narrower pathway through the longer distance. I'm surprised Arizer doesn't offer something like this as an accessory.

Last edited:

badbee

There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to airpath restriction. What is perfect for one person is too restrictive for another. Some very open airflow vapes also give very dense hits, that has more to do with the heater than the stem. Stem length is one of the main factors that contributes to cooling, extra turbulence from beads, bumps or bends helps.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Some devices allow to set them up with different mouthpieces; I recently coupled my Tinymight with a Ditanium mouthpiece and it works excellent.

TheEncore

The more I read here the more I want to buy a new vape instead of buying a new mouthpiece for the XQ2. Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if you guys are "saving" me money or not, but I think a Heat Island or Tinymight makes more sense for me given my narrow focus on flavor.

Top Bottom