New Version of XenForo (Forum Software) – 1.2

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
After seeing the banner announcement today about FC having completed a forum software update, I was curious what the update had changed. I found that XenForo 1.2 was released today and contains a significant number of new features. I had to read through several posts on the XenForo forum to find out what the new features were, so I figured I'd make a thread to share the changes that I thought were most significant or interesting, so that you don't have to search like I did!

Watch Forums
You can now set forums as "Watched" in the same way that you have been able to do with threads. So, you can now go to one of the Thread Candidate sections, click "Watch Forum" in the top right corner, and receive notifications whenever a new vape thread is created! The Classifieds section is another that I think particularly benefits from this addition. Great feature for FC junkies…​

New Editor
You'll notice that the reply box looks different. It is in fact completely rebuilt from the ground up. The new editor is more lightweight and loads much more quickly. My favorite new feature is its ability to automatically save periodic drafts of a message while it is written, so that if the page is reloaded your message-in-progress is not lost. The editor also now watches and notifies you of new replies while you are typing.
User Tagging
Interestingly, you can now tag members Twitter style (e.g. @nopartofme) and they will receive a notification that you have done so.​

Responsive Design
It's now easier to allow a forum display Style to automatically present itself in a different way for small screens like phones and tablets. The new XenForo default Style comes with some of this capability, but I'm not sure how much of this carries over to FC's Style.
Quote Height Limitation
Excessively tall quote boxes are now compressed by default and a button is displayed allowing you to expand them to full size. This will be nice when dealing with posts that unwittingly quote large numbers of images.
Post Edit Logging
When a post is edited it will now display the time at which it was edited. Also, past versions of the post are saved and can be viewed by mods.​

User Thread Title Editing
Users can now edit the titles of their own threads for a limited amount of time after creating them, similar to the post editing limit.​

That's about it as far as big user-facing improvements, though there are lots more goodies for the mods to play with. They even get purdy new banners to wear. If you want to look at it all you can find it over here.

Last edited:

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
What has happened to the font for "Messages" and "Location" underneath the member's avatar?

<--------

The characters are barely readable and I've seen many where the formatting is messed up as well.

hazy,

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I just noticed that thanks to the draft saving feature of the reply box, you can go back to a previous page in a thread while you're composing your reply and your message-in-progress is waiting for you at the bottom of the page. Nice!

What has happened to the font for "Messages" and "Location" underneath the member's avatar?
I think it's fixed now.

nopartofme,

clouded vision

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the changes that this update has caused when viewing on my phone? My messages and likes are completely gone from the main page, it is text wrapping when it isn't necessary so when I rotate my phone instead of each thread taking up a lone or 2 on my screen each thread ends up taking up the entire screen. is there anything arty all that I can do to bring back the way it used to display on my phone? I have barely been around since the update because I just can't stand trying to use the site in my phone which is how I usually do, also anytime I try to post something the screen scrolls all the way to the top when I click in the text box

clouded vision,

darkadious

i'm fairly new to the forum, the phone layout is ineffective. there's so much wasted space taken up by nothing.

i'd like it if we could have options for the number of posts per page. people that find this forum likely want to do research on vapes. it's annoying having to flick through hundreds of pages because the only option is 25 posts per page. most of the threads worth reading here are rather large, and mainly consist of text alone.

i can't see how it would be an issue to have 25/50/75/100 posts per page options.

Top Bottom