Need some advice please!

Ltblue

Hey guys I am getting the magic butter 2 so I can make some oil for my dad who has type 2 diabetes. Besides getting the items to make the oil, I read that you have to decarb it first if you want me to release the THC. My dad is your old fashion "cannabis is bad! It's a drug!" The whole reefer madness type but I have been slowly telling him(conditioning him) that it heals and if used properly it can help with his diabetes.
My question is if I am going to make the oil without decarbing first, will he not feel the psycho effects as to if I were to decarb? Basically I want him to use it and not have to feel "high" and still be able to do his daily work. So anybody with more experience can help me out and tell me how to do it properly for my dad, thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply!

Ltblue,
Reactions: Magic9

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Depending on what Cannabinoids are treating his diabetes you can choose strains that will have very little THC and high percentages of the other Cannabinoids. This should reduce the psychoactive side of the drug.

Decarbing will activate the THC and change it from the precursor THCA which is a non-psychoactive.

Try giving him a small dose that is non-decarbed and see how he feels. If it's too psychoactive you may want to try a CBD strain.

MinnBobber

I do a LOT of reading on cannabis med effects but diabetes is not my main focus:
research seems to show that for diabetes, strains with high level of THCV are the best.
Do you have some choice of strains/ are you in a legal state?
African sativas are great choices or;
High THCV Cannabis Strains
This list is by no means comprehensive, but it includes strains best known for their tendency toward higher-than-average THCV contents. These strains can be consumed in flower form or they can be processed into extracts, oils, and edibles for a higher concentration of cannabinoids. A few of the strains below, like Doug's Varin and Pineapple Purps, were specially bred to contain higher levels of THCV. Again, be sure to steer your choices toward African sativas as they tend to contain the most THCV.

Doug's Varin
Pineapple Purps
Durban Poison

Power Plant
Willie Nelson
Red Congolese

Jack the Ripper
Durban Cheese
Skunk #1

Ltblue

Thanks a lot guys, I have been collecting different strains. I probably have about 8-9 strains that I am going to throw all in. Sucks that I wasn't able to write down all the strain names along with the percentage of the THC and CBD but hopefully it'll be awesome, because all of them are top tier strains! My main concern was the decarbing of the plant or not, but thanks for letting me know that THCv strains are better suited for people with diabetes. Guess I'm going to be Guinea pig and try it myself to see if it's good or not then if it is good I'll give it to my dad. Thanks again guys!

Ltblue,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Thanks a lot guys, I have been collecting different strains. I probably have about 8-9 strains that I am going to throw all in. Sucks that I wasn't able to write down all the strain names along with the percentage of the THC and CBD but hopefully it'll be awesome, because all of them are top tier strains! My main concern was the decarbing of the plant or not, but thanks for letting me know that THCv strains are better suited for people with diabetes. Guess I'm going to be Guinea pig and try it myself to see if it's good or not then if it is good I'll give it to my dad. Thanks again guys!

I believe your magic butter machine will decarb your herb as you make medicated butter or oil.

Ltblue

I believe your magic butter machine will decarb your herb as you make medicated butter or oil.

Thanks Shredder, I don't know if that's a good thing or not for my dad. I read somewhere that someone didn't decarb and when he took the oil he said he didn't feel anything. Hopefully the oil won't have that much effect psychologically, but that's why I am going to use it first and see if I can feel anything.

Ltblue,

MinnBobber

be careful with THCV high strains. The only time i tried one, it was borderline hallucinatory.

THCV previously was thought to be psychoactive like THC and add to the high. More recent research seems to show it balances/neutralizes some of those THC high effects.

Here's a good summary article:

New research on the cannabinoid THCV shows that it may reduce the effects of THC.

While almost all marijuana users are familiar with the effects of THC, new findings show why you may want to pay attention to another compound known as tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV).

THCV is one of many cannabinoids found in cannabis and is often measured during laboratory testing. But up until now, little was known about the effects of THCV — both psychological and otherwise.

Interestingly, a new study published Nov. 17 in the Journal of Psychopharmacology seems to show that THCV works against THC to dampen the high.

While the sample size was small — the study only involved 10 participants — the results showed that combining doses of THCV with THC overwhelmingly resulted in a high that felt “less intense” compared to THC alone.

THCV also seemed to protect against other common effects of THC, including memory impairment and increased heart rate.

Interestingly, THCV seemed to have no psychoactive effect when taken alone. In fact, participants in the study were unable to distinguish doses of THCV from a placebo.

The authors — a group of scientists from King’s College London — say that this seems to contradict older research published in the 1970s, which suggested THCV might have weak psychoactive properties.

Nevertheless, the latest findings suggest that THCV may offer a similar sort of protection asCBD when it comes to reducing the psychoactive effects of cannabis.

According to testing results from the 2014 High Times Cannabis Cup in Seattle, many sativa strains have noticeable levels of THCV. In fact, this may explain the uplifting and energizing effect that sativa strains are known for.

So, for the growing number of people seeking marijuana with a less potent high, strains with significant THCV levels may be a good place to start.
....................................................................................................

THCV has a boiling point of 428 F so would be prevalent in a higher % in ABV that was not wrung out at high temps/ the THCV would still be present

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Ltblue

shredder

Thanks Shredder, I don't know if that's a good thing or not for my dad. I read somewhere that someone didn't decarb and when he took the oil he said he didn't feel anything. Hopefully the oil won't have that much effect psychologically, but that's why I am going to use it first and see if I can feel anything.

At first dosing is hard, but like other things the more you do the better you get. It is important to start light, then go up in dosage. But keeping in mind medibles can take up to two hours to work. And if you had too much you can't undo it. Buy the ticket, and take the ride.

However you start, keep records as to amounts. Then adjust as nessasary. Try to figure amounts of herb, oil or butter, and servings per patient.

In general cooking I never measure anything, but when making canna consumables I measure meticulously. And you never know how a newbie will react. So again just go slow.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I would wait 3 hours before taking more of an medible. For me it can take three hours to kick in sometimes. If you take too much there's no going back. There's nothing to neutralize it either.

Ltblue

THANKS GUYS! I've never really thought about the amount(dosages), especially for someone who has never used cannabis. Guess I have a lot more research to do and have to tread lightly step by step.

Ltblue,
Top Bottom