Tek Need help with KX

Dabsallday710

Trying to figure out how to get these pics on correctly.Recent run of KX looked great until it kept drying up till it was crumble..I let it evap for a couple hours then put it on a water bath at 90*F. for 20 mins to evap all KX..Is this why it eventually dried to a crumble..? Still really good though,just looking for that snappy stuff.Should I have just let evap naturally to get that snap,shatter or is heat needed..?

There has to be an easier way to post pics...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dabsallday710,

phooka

I evap at room temp or lower until all eth is visibly gone, cure for a day, then heat up in a 170 oven for just long enough for the oil to become viscous then i flatten it super thin with a razor blade and cook for another 5-10 mins at 170.

then i have usually 4 clean blades ready and i just go real quick fill up each blade and set to cool. then it dries to shatter consistency i take the blade with oil facing down and slowly bend sides downwards, then quickly release and 90% of the time it snaps off in one giant piece.

Some strains like kushes will cake up super quick from slight heat and agitation. some wont ever cake. Just embrace it! i had this bubba kush one time when straight to cake after purge. tastiest shit ever

mayan

Thanks, phooka...this is the type of tek I am been drawn to - given that I am not using a vacuum purge. You put it forth in a way I can understand. A couple of newbie questions, if you don't mind...when you say "cure" - do you mean you just let it sit untouched for the day? Also, can you explain what you mean by "cake." Thanks so much...this is helpful.

mayan,
Reactions: spoutti

phooka

so if you evap at low temps you get this white crusty stuff which is the thc recrystallized. but there is some eth trapped. It looks dry but you need "cure" it by letting it sit out at room temp (with a screen or bandana covering it to keep dust out). I do this before the scrape while it's still in thin layer. I'm a skeptic of vac purging for ethanol wash but thats a different topic. And my heating process is mostly just to get it viscous enough to quickly and easily scrape.

sometimes if im in a hurry ill use heat in beginning of evap but when it starts to turn a little milky, kill the heat and finish at room temp. this is when it is reaching azeotrope. this is the point when cooler temps are crucial if you want shatter.

cake is like budder. It's soft and opaque, i guess some call it crumble. its really soft and easy to gather. It smells stronger than shatter, but typically has lower terpene content. that's because the smell is the terps fleeing the scene on some important business. some call it overpurged. also it degrades quicker in this form so SMOKE IT NOW!!!

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
There has to be an easier way to post pics...!
To post pics, you first need to download them to a hosting site like Imgur or Photobucket. Then you copy the direct forum code and paste it into the drop down box for pics in your toolbar.

If you need further instruction, feel free to pm me.

momofthegoons,

mayan

Thanks so much for the further explication, phooka. This is really helpful as I take my baby steps in learning this Art. Trying to find that razor's edge between an effective solvent purge and the mass destruction of terps and supporting-cast cannabinoids.

Also helpful to get additional confirmation that the 1/2 life of extracted concentrates may be less than in vegetative or kief state. I have wondered whether oil extracts are as "complete" an effect as vaping bud or kief and want to do what I can to preserve the Holy Entourage but that, too, may be a topic for a different conversation.

mayan,
Reactions: spoutti

phooka

I have a volcano sitting here I don't use. Dabs all day. I have been using a ss screen atop my enail setup full melt style but I don't have full melt I have kief

I dekief my weed then take the dekiefed bud and do my extract with that. Than I put my washed bud in a jar to steep over time in a dark place with all my other washes' material and this is my tincture.

So then I take my extract and heat it up and mix it with the kief. Put that on the Screen on the enail and it bubbles up like high heaven oh lord it's such a beauty with a clear carb cap.

phooka,
Reactions: mayan
Top Bottom