My Fourth of July Reading (excerpts from a sordid US history)

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I'm PO'd about the narative going around, collecting evidence, lol

here's a juicy bit...Henry Ford published anti-semetic tracts. Hitler read them, kept Ford's portrait in his office, and said he was his inspiration. Their business dealings before and during the war, how Ford tried and got away with lying about it, shirking post-war reparations to victims while they collected war profits...oh, oh, oh, and we the tax payer paid for thier bombed out factories after the war.
f' me

Ford and GM Scrutinized for Alleged Nazi Collaboration

President Dwight Eisenhower warning us about the Military Industrial complex and their gaining any political power (oops, too late)
Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex

Abraham Lincoln has been sanitized for our protection?
he didn't trust corporations, here's two quotes and a great link...
article"What Lincoln Foresaw:
Corporations Being "Enthroned" After the Civil War and Re-Writing the Laws Defining Their Existence"
"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end."
It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood. . . .
It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but
I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes
me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war,
corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places
will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong
its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth
is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.
I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety
of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war.
God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless."
The passage appears in a letter from Lincoln to (Col.) William F. Elkins, Nov. 21, 1864.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel."
speech to Illinois legislature, Jan. 1837.
See Vol. 1, p. 24 of Lincoln's Complete Works,
ed. by Nicolay and Hay, 1905)

this got me started...a Facebook post, innocuous, patriotic, but does it somehow mean that our freedom has been won by the blood of dead soldiers...I don't know if that's true, it seems more accurate to say that our poor have always had a job to turn to in the Army, and the Army has always promised it to be a fair and honorable fight, but that's just advertising as far as the facts play out.
This Independence Day, remember...The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it. American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them.

i guess i kind of wonder if we're any different from the people in Germany under Nazi rule, with the blinders on real tight, trusting Fox news and tv in general...leading us where?

VWFringe,

crawdad

floatin
VWFringe said:
i guess i kind of wonder if we're any different from the people in Germany under Nazi rule, with the blinders on real tight, trusting Fox news and tv in general...leading us where?

while (to me) its rather obvious the us is hardly germany under nazi rule, it does make one wonder about "what's next?" and then "what's next after that" and so on.

ive had discussions with others on the whole idea of patriotism and whether or not its against "natural law"...sadly, not all can discuss such topic without getting very personal and heated so i tend to just leave it alone.

fwiw, i do enjoy where i live and am grateful for those who work (be it a soldier or a store clerk) to maintain the quality of life available to me.

:peace:

crawdad,
Top Bottom