Most efficient and reliable portable vape for these criteria? price and battery life not a concern

herbivore21

If you have a mental health condition diagnosed by a licensed psychiatrist I implore you to disregard advise entirely regarding pharmaceuticals for a diagnosed mental health condition. Sorry, but I need to be direct on this.

When it comes to mental health issues and mental health medications disregard advise from those that are not a licensed psychiatrist. Many perspectives you will be told about pharmaceuticals are fucked up especially concerning mental health medication. It is very important to understand that if you have a mental health issue do exactly what your doctor says regarding any and all medication. This is not a game where it is safe to start or quit mental health medications on a whim or on the advice from someone on FC.

If you, or anyone, have been put on some medication that happens to be causing worry and/or discomfort contact your doctor immediately but never, ever, just stop any prescribed medication. Continue taking the medicine until you speak to a doctor. Abruptly quitting certain medications is extremely dangerous and could land you in the hospital or worse. Much worse.
Got to +1 the last paragraph here. Do not start or stop a psychiatric medication abruptly/without medical advise. Do not vary how you take a medication once you have started for any reason apart from the advise of a qualified medical practitioner. If you ever start something and want to stop, let your doctor know. A good doctor will work with you and make sure you don't make bad side-effects much worse from withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome!

Also please be aware my above posts are very much suggesting continuing to work with a good psychologist/psychiatrist (not a scientifically unsupported therapist!!!) even if you do not want to take psych meds.

Even if you are utterly against medication (and many are, some for good reasons, some for tin-foil-hat reasons); if a psychiatrist recommends medication, take some time to think about it, don't just dismiss it out of hand. You can critically engage with the question of whether to try the treatment yourself to some extent.

Make sure they are clear which symptom they are recommending the drug for. Then take a look into the literature on that drug (www.scholar.google.com is your friend here - a growing number of scientific articles are available for free without subscription now) and look at the most recent articles on efficacy (for treating your specific symptom/s), side effects (especially how common they are!), discontinuation/withdrawal etc. Also see if there are any outstanding/unanswered critiques of the supporting studies for the efficacy of the drug. Speak to your doctor about what you find out about the drug and any questions you might have about it (even if you find information against the suggested drug!). This all requires finding a doctor that you trust to discuss this sort of thing with you honestly. This is the sort of doctor everyone must seek though. You need to give a full account of anything medically relevant to your doctors, this necessitates a lot of trust.

The key is to have a therapist who is looking out for your best interests and who is working with you, not dominating you. You'll find one before too long, you might even find one first try - don't worry if you don't though, plenty of us had to look around :)

herbivore21

I support everyone participating in this topic. I shed some tears and it sent chills down my spine because I suffer greatly. I am sorry but that suffering has hardened certain opinions.

I keep everything a secret but the truth is no matter how hard I fight and try I can barely do it and it always gets out.

No worries, I am as tuff as twisted steel. I love you guys. Sorry again.
Love right back at you (and all of my fellow mentally ill FC people!) brother, please do take care and if you ever wanna talk just shoot me a PM :) :peace: :leaf: You're good people!

herbivore21,
Reactions: steama

perennialflare

Well, I can say I never had any intention of abruptly stopping any medication I get prescribed, assuming they do indeed get prescribed. I also wish everyone well- those who have already gone down this path before me and those who will be in my situation in the future. It's nice to know there's lots of us going through similar things on this forum, I'm sure almost anywhere else hardly anyone would be so willing so speak openly about this sort of thing (in my opinion, one of the best ways to break the stigma is to talk about it as naturally as you would talk about other health issues)

that being said, I did make this thread more for vape advice, not that I don't appreciate the wealth of information you guys have freely given on the subject of mental health.

I've decided I want to go primarily/entirely convection because that's better suited to only having a partial bowl (I'm the type who likes to hit until I'm feeling it then go back inside, but at the same time I've noticed it can vary a fair amount how much it takes me to feel it, possibly to do with energy level, mood, how recently I've eaten, etc). Also, from what I've gathered, convection seems well suited to short hitters such as myself.

out of the initial vapes I listed, that only knocks out pax2 I believe. If I chose firefly, I would want to wait for the new one (I can't imagine it not significantly improving on firefly1), and perhaps getting a more moderately priced convection vape in the meantime (and for that, I am leaning towards the firewood 3.0, but if anyone's got more advice on that front I would appreciate it!) It also might be nice/usefull to own 2 so I could compare and use them in different situations (assuming most people on here agree with the sentiment haha)

If I went crafty, I would just keep the crafty alone, as despite me saying that price wasn't an issue, I'm not exactly made of money and it's the priciest out of the bunch (over 400 after conversion I believe). Alternatively, I've heard some interesting things about Zion- does anyone know if it would be a good fit based on my op? Of course, that's assuming there's a way to ship it to Canada as the site says US only.

little maggie

I'm curious why you want a portable. If you are going to vape inside the stealthiest and simplist is probably a log vape like the underdog: It doesn't look like a vape and the essential oil bowl gets rid of odors.
However, I like my firewood quite a bit and think it would be a good purchase. Given it's price you can always get a different vape down the road. I'm looking forward to the Zion but the main people who can answer your question are those who got to try it while it was being developed.. They are out of firewoods right now on the website but usually replace them pretty quickly.

j-bug

Well, I can say I never had any intention of abruptly stopping any medication I get prescribed, assuming they do indeed get prescribed. I also wish everyone well- those who have already gone down this path before me and those who will be in my situation in the future. It's nice to know there's lots of us going through similar things on this forum, I'm sure almost anywhere else hardly anyone would be so willing so speak openly about this sort of thing (in my opinion, one of the best ways to break the stigma is to talk about it as naturally as you would talk about other health issues)

that being said, I did make this thread more for vape advice, not that I don't appreciate the wealth of information you guys have freely given on the subject of mental health.

I've decided I want to go primarily/entirely convection because that's better suited to only having a partial bowl (I'm the type who likes to hit until I'm feeling it then go back inside, but at the same time I've noticed it can vary a fair amount how much it takes me to feel it, possibly to do with energy level, mood, how recently I've eaten, etc). Also, from what I've gathered, convection seems well suited to short hitters such as myself.

out of the initial vapes I listed, that only knocks out pax2 I believe. If I chose firefly, I would want to wait for the new one (I can't imagine it not significantly improving on firefly1), and perhaps getting a more moderately priced convection vape in the meantime (and for that, I am leaning towards the firewood 3.0, but if anyone's got more advice on that front I would appreciate it!) It also might be nice/usefull to own 2 so I could compare and use them in different situations (assuming most people on here agree with the sentiment haha)

If I went crafty, I would just keep the crafty alone, as despite me saying that price wasn't an issue, I'm not exactly made of money and it's the priciest out of the bunch (over 400 after conversion I believe). Alternatively, I've heard some interesting things about Zion- does anyone know if it would be a good fit based on my op? Of course, that's assuming there's a way to ship it to Canada as the site says US only.
I think you couldn't possibly go wrong getting the FW3 and then if you feel the need getting the Firefly 2 once it's out. I doubt you'll gain much over the FW3 by augmenting it with the FF2 but I really like mine.

The Zion would likely also suit you, but it's early on in preorders and you'll likely have to wait a bit. Another option if you're willing to get something now and wait for an awesome product would be to get one of the vapes you're considering now while you wait and pre-ordering a Grasshopper, or just waiting till they're available for retail. I personally have the FW3 and will likely order a zion or a grasshopper to supplement it depending on which of the two hits retail first.

perennialflare

I'm curious why you want a portable. If you are going to vape inside the stealthiest and simplist is probably a log vape like the underdog: It doesn't look like a vape and the essential oil bowl gets rid of odors.
However, I like my firewood quite a bit and think it would be a good purchase. Given it's price you can always get a different vape down the road. I'm looking forward to the Zion but the main people who can answer your question are those who got to try it while it was being developed.. They are out of firewoods right now on the website but usually replace them pretty quickly.

the reason why is that I'm not planning on vaping inside at all. The reason for that is a 2-parter. One, I would be eternally worried about smell. Yes, there may be preventative measures, but it will still worry and stress me to the point of ruining my experience. To feel comfortable with a non portable, I would have to personally experience it to see for sure there's no smell. I've spent my whole life with my bedroom right across from my parents, this is a reaction developed from many a night being busted for staying up too late. The other reason is simple respect. I disagree with my parents when it comes to cannabis, and they have no idea I've even tried it, but as I'm living at home for free I feel obliged to go outside. Probably means nothing, but it makes me feel a little better about the deception.

also, the other place I'd vape was at my brother's house. I want to be able to easily carry it in my purse. And I like the idea of being able to vape while walking the dog if I so choose. I live in the country so it would be very easy with any portable so long as it can be used in one hand.

Chill Dude

+1 on Pax 2.. It's very stealth and you don't have the glass stems like the Solo and Air..you can tamp down a small amount or full trench. Seems to meet all of the OP'S criteria..

Chill Dude,

j-bug

A pax 2 is only stealth as long as you clean it frequently. Like every other time you use it frequently. They start to reek otherwise and you might not notice it but anyone who gets close to the device at all will notice it. That was one thing that stopped it from being as stealthy as I wanted it to be. It's a great vape for a lot of people, but if you're concerned about stealth cleaning it frequently is necessary for it to stay stealthy.

Chill Dude

A pax 2 is only stealth as long as you clean it frequently. Like every other time you use it frequently. They start to reek otherwise and you might not notice it but anyone who gets close to the device at all will notice it. That was one thing that stopped it from being as stealthy as I wanted it to be. It's a great vape for a lot of people, but if you're concerned about stealth cleaning it frequently is necessary for it to stay stealthy.

Good point..however, as long as you store it in a smell proof bag or case, it doesn't pose much of a problem. I only clean mine about once every 15 sessions or so. When not using I always store in a smell proof bag. It's not like the OP is going to leave it in his bedroom in plain sight.. Right?

Chill Dude,
Reactions: steama

perennialflare

Thanks for all the support, guys! I'm honestly amazed how much genuine advice I've gotten. My only concern is that I won't be able to give back to others needing advice half as well as what I've received.

the pax2 totally does fit all my criteria (and I admit, mine are fairly stringent) but so did several of the other suggested vapes. In the end, it comes down to prioritizing, deciding which aspect is more valued. It's worth noting that I live in the country, so it's very easy to ensure that no one's looking when I vape. The pax2 is a beautiful device and works great from almost all accounts I've heard, but its extreme stealth is only a small benefit over any other device small enough to hide in my pocket and mostly cover with one hand. None of the suggested vapes would be difficult to store out of sight, in a nightstand drawer or behind a bookshelf. My parents may be strict but they're not the privacy invading type.

Right now, I think I'm probably going to go with Firewood 3.0. It's true it only has a 1 year warranty, but the good things i've heard about the manufacturer make up for that, and makes me trust that this isn't some cheap vape built to die the month after warranty end. Plus, based on how much most people use their vapes, my less frequent usage should help any vape I go with to last a few more years than generally predicted. That's why I decided to prioritize efficiency. I don't know which vapes are most efficient overall, but if I go by my intake patterns, convection vapes will save me the most. I was going to consider the Firefly, but it seems a waste to not wait for FF2. So instead, I will do as suggested and get a FW3, and if the FF2 comes out and I still really feel I want it, then I will get it. If not, I'll have my FW3. Alternatively, by that time I would have enough experience with the FW3 to be more confident in my preferences, while the more moderate price means that I would not feel guilty looking for a second vape to compliment it (maybe my 2nd would be a pax2 so I can have a nice portable convection AND conduction)

friedrich

Little-Known Member
FW3 is a great choice; it quickly became my favorite vape. You can load a tiny amount and finish it off quickly, or fill it more, puff away extensively and save some for later. No need to stir, and cleaning/maintenance is very simple.

I'd suggest ordering a couple extra capsules/mouthpieces too, which should come with a little wooden holder (maybe confirm that with Marc when you order). I use corks in the capsules to lock in the aroma; with them in the fw and holder, I can carry three packed capsules in my pocket pretty much odorlessly. I hope.

For a secondary/backup, you might want to take a look at Vapman or VapCap. They're torch lighter driven so you don't need electricity, come with smell-proof cases, and they're just a joy to use and admire in their elegance and simplicity.

Top Bottom