More older Americans are smoking marijuana

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
My now published comment in WP:

"Forget smoking it. Vaping is the new thing. 99.3% of the potentially harmful components of smoking pot are actually byproducts of combustion. No combustion, way less toxins and potential carcinogens. Less smell in the air or on the breath, as its vapor rather than smoke that's generated. And infinitely more control over one's mindscape than when using edibles. I know far more people who have had bad times on edibles than on either smoking or vaping.

I stopped smoking pot three years ago and started vaping. I feel better when I wake up and I just had my best xc ski season since retiring, directly related to increased stamina. Though I'm 70 and a daily vaper, yesterday I biked up one of our steep mountain notches for nearly two hours--taking a hit from my vaporizer now and again so I would forget how hard I was working--and never felt out of breath and felt great. Vaping devices are rapidly evolving to be more efficient, more convenient, and cooler."

Squiby

Exactly ^^^^^. I started out as a young pot smoker over 45 years ago. Now I'm an old healthy vaping stoner. The difference is that I used pot either alone at home with my husband or with our friends who also partook. We never advertised it to others.

Now, as legalization is sweeping the planet, we are coming out in the open with our affection for cannabis.

My grandparents grew it on their farm in the 1950s. They used it as a wind break for the crops and to stop soil erosion. When we were sick the leaves were used in teas to ease our aches and pains and to help us sleep.

I've used cannabis one way or another my entire life. I doubt that I'm the only one.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
"Now, as legalization is sweeping the planet, we are coming out in the open with our affection for cannabis."

I spent much of my working career as CEO of environmental organizations and as a senior government official. Though I had been getting stoned since 1968!, I had to become extremely careful as I would have lost my jobs instantly if anyone knew. So I mostly smoked alone nights and weekends, or with a couple of old and close friends. Even had a couple of periods where I stopped getting stoned for several months and as long as a year. So weirdly, most of the friends I made as an adult were non-dopers.

Its great that things are loosening up now. But given how good pot has become, how available it has become(two neighboring states are legal this year), and how great the vaporization technologies have become, I wish I were young again just so I could experience all the strains and techniques and fun. Same for microbrew beers!

Squiby

Same here. I was an executive in the corporate world with close ties to the government. No one remotely connected to my professional life ever knew that I smoked pot. Now, I still don't advertise it but I don't hide it either. I don't drink alcohol and I live a very clean lifestyle that includes lots of exercise and an organic plant based home cooked diet and targeted suppliments.

I feel like I'm healthier now than I've ever been and I'm loving the plethora of strains that are available now. I used to grow the stuff when I was in my 20s from seeds found at the bottom of purchased bags. Now that I'm retired, I buy the seeds and plant them. These are wonderful days!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I started using pot in my early 20s. That was back in the late 70s early eighties. I had tried it out previously as a teenager but it didn’t appeal to me. Now I’m 61. I never advertised that I use cannabis. I live in a legal state but have a conservative type of a job. I just use cannabis alone or with close friends and my brother.

I started using recreationally for many years and realized it was also helping my aching body. I think there were many folks that used cannabis but not in the open. Now it’s more acceptable.

Last edited:

Adobewan

I'm approaching the same ballpark, have used since college, vaping since 2000.
In all my years, this plant remains one of the few constant positives in this crazy experience we call life.
Unfortunately many of our fellow Earthicans are unknowingly walking the globe, suffering "THC Deficiency Syndrome". One day, when the stinking brume of propaganda has risen, and those that were fooled are enlightened, things will be different.
"I see trees of green, red roses too,..."

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Top Bottom