Mini Nail Flower Wand *ball vape

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I can’t find a thread for this but let me know if it’s already there. https://www.themininail.com/collections/flower-wand-vaporizer/products/flower-wand
I remember it being mentioned in the ball vape thread a while back. I have seen reviews now and then. It got pulled from their site for a while, I don't know why. Seems a bit expensive compared to others in this space, but not wildly so if it performs.

Did you get one? Do you like it?

I can't tell if the bowl is standard shovelhead size or proprietary.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RichardsBag

I remember it being mentioned in the ball vape thread a while back. I have seen reviews now and then. It got pulled from their site for a while, I don't know why. Seems a bit expensive compared to others in this space, but not wildly so if it performs.

Did you get one? Do you like it?

I can't tell if the bowl is standard shovelhead size or proprietary.
No i just stumbled on it while searching around /comparing ball vape upgrades. I always thoughtit was weird they didnt hop on the train so its nice to see. I agree on the price and would not get this wihtout hearing from someone. I havent heard a peep. i even searcched around here and couldnt find much. Id guess that price plays a big role and im not sure what its offering that others do not for the price.

RichardsBag,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
It probably depends more on if you are a fan of Mininail's PID controller, because that by itself is normally two-hundred dollars. After that, the rest of the kit doesn't seem so bad. But that coil does seem quite small (few wraps). But I don't know how big of a difference that makes.

Th3Grim

Wow, I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion on the Flower Wand! Mininail is a decently big player in the concentrate vape side of things. The ball vape market has become pretty oversaturated lately though, it's just such a great design.

I got mine about 3wks ago from VapeNorth in Canada. My consumption has unfortunately skyrocketed because of the ease of use (which isn't exclusive to the FW, it's down to the design of ball vapes) but I've been very happy with the performance. My only "complaint" is that the coil temp can drop by up to 25F depending on your desired temp (higher temp = more drop) but it recovers before *I've* recovered from the last hit. 😂 The flavour and depth of extraction are excellent but I do need to stir halfway through sometimes. Build quality is outstanding (the handle aside, but I'll get into that). I've taken the ball head apart to see how it's constructed and the threading on it is buttery smooth. No problems with fit on anything either.

However, it's not a good microdoser. At least not from what I'm finding. To get a good microdose extraction I either need to pack it fairly tight in the bottom of the Ti bowl (which is great btw), modulate my inhale speed in a way that feels unnatural due to having more airflow than plant matter, or turn the temp up by about 20-30F. I feel like the glass bowl would be a better fit for microdosers; the Ti bowl's big airflow is ideal for large amounts ime. I'm also not a huge fan of the handle. Like, at all. It feels like high quality silicone, but I really dislike the way it fits onto the stand, it's very difficult to do in the dark unless you're looking right at it.

For the curious I prefer a smaller American style dab rig with it, the low-slung kind with a 90deg joint and a leanback mouthpiece. Most are in the area of 6-10". I kinda need to use water due to asthma and I find I get the best hits from recyclers/incyclers with (relatively) uncomplicated percs. It works great with larger bongs (I have a couple Hoss Build-a-bong bases with a shorty top piece that work nicely) but using a heavy glass piece with a lightweight ball vape seems a bit incongruous. I vary my temp pretty widely, from 420F to 550F, but I usually stick to the 420-500F range. With a smaller piece like I mentioned I do cough sometimes but taking into account the volume of the hits I get it's relatively minimal.

If you're looking for a smaller ball vape that heat soaks and cools down relatively quickly to other ball vapes this is a solid contender and that's what influenced my decision to go with this one over the wide selection of others out now. I get great vapour out of it starting when the coil gets up to my desired temp (note that the quartz inside won't be at temp immediately but it does still give great hits even before it fully heat soaks). They say on their site it takes 3min to heat and 10min to cool down; those figures are both accurate in my experience.

That weird bowl caught my attention as well. I am wondering if they really developed a novel/novel-ish system of interest or just tossed together old stock. Not that those things are mutually exlcusive...

From my scant knowledge of other ball vapes this one seems to work pretty much the same, but it's definitely not an 18mm head. I haven't measured but it's 20-22mm iirc. I'm guessing they did this to cut down on overall size/weight of the ball head; I've heard this called a "diffuser" rather than an "injector" which visually makes sense to me. All I care about is that it manages to stay in pretty securely even if I wave the piece it's in around like if my arm jerks when I cough or something.

If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask!

Edit to add: I forgot to note that the price relative to other similarly competent ball vapes on the market is rather high. You get the benefit of a smaller overall footprint though; I'm assuming in good faith that the higher cost can be due to R&D to get a smaller ball head than most of what's on the market. If you're happy to go with a more conventional 18mm injector style ball vape there are great performers out there for much less and offer similar (or better) performance. Even some DIY ones for around the $100-150USD mark which is so cool to see!

Last edited:
Th3Grim,

Th3Grim

It probably depends more on if you are a fan of Mininail's PID controller, because that by itself is normally two-hundred dollars. After that, the rest of the kit doesn't seem so bad. But that coil does seem quite small (few wraps). But I don't know how big of a difference that makes.
I admit, I was a little concerned about the overall size of the heater coil too. From what I've gathered the temp drop on the Flower Wand is a good bit more than other ball vapes I've seen; ex. I have a friend with a Flowerpot B1 and he says that coil drops by 5-10F at the outside (vs Flower Wand's ~25F). However I don't find it takes longer to recover than I need to recover *myself* from a longer hit; you'd want to set the temp slightly higher than you would for a similar vape with more mass to it.

Th3Grim,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I see they chose quartz balls to fill their vape head with, interesting choice of material when the whole market has pretty much adopted ruby balls as the standard.

I bet you would be able to drop the temp and improve it's performance with a media swap!

One thing I have noticed with ball vapes over the years is that most of them seem to follow each other and the designs are extremely similar. Maybe some designs on the head but the basic design seems to be carried over from when CH first appeared.

Would be great to see some innovative designs come out that challenge the original design!
Injector heads seems to be the latest development and had taken them leaps and bounds into the future!

So many choices these days, it must be tough for a new comer to make a decision!

Top Bottom