Mighty or Firefly

CroZure

I have been searching the Web for a volcano substitute and cannot make a decision. Last December I purchased a Haze vape. I really like the durability and the customer service is top knotch. An O ring popped out and they sent me a new model (new version 2.5 too), no questions asked. However, I cannot get over the test of this vaporizer. It wasn't getting the job done so I bought a volcano.

The volcano is amazing. The taste, durability, temp control were all what I am looking for. The only thing is that it is not discreet. So I am looking for something that is more portable.

So which one, mighty or firefly

First the Mighty. I was going to pull the trigger but then I started reading the battery reviews. However, everything else seems to make this the perfect vape. I am okay spending approx $100 to replace the battery every year if that is all I have to do. But then I hear about people needing to replace the battery after 3 months of use.

The only other option that I have found is the firefly. I like how people comment on it having the best taste. However, I am big on temperature control and the button seems a little bit sketchy. I want my vape at 375, not 385 and certainly not 400. So can you really control the temperature? I also read where the replacement batteries are hit or miss. It seems to get a little bit hot after some use.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Greetings!

Having handled both vapes, I think I can help. Although the battery on my Firefly loaner was on the fritz and I really couldn't finish a full session with the FF.

They are two very different vaporizers. One has a large battery capacity, with slow heatups. While the other provides short battery life with fast heatup times.

The Mighty is a nice vaporizer - very low draw restriction, pretty good heatup times (but not as fast as the FF), and accurate temperature control. Kinda crazy to watch the temperature fall as you draw, never had a vape that responsive to tempeerature readings. Flavor wise it's not bad, but certainly not at the top of my list.

The Firefly on the other hand is an awkward vape. Kidna like a glorified MFLB. It's heavy, heavier than you'd expect for it's size, but it does provide FAST hits with lots of flavor. The key is to learn how to play with the heat button - too much and you'll combust your herbs, too little and you won't fully vape your herbs.

The two vapes perform very differently - one you can dial in your temperature and hand it to a newbie. The FF however requires a bit of practice to get the hang of hitting it (how long to hold the button, how much to tap the button during the hit to keep it going, etc).

Which is better? Well that's tough to say, neither vape is all that discrete. However I would say maybe the Firefly is slightly more 'pocketable' than the Mighty.

What specifically are you looking for in a portable vaporizer? It sounds like taste is important to you, but what else?

If taste is your #1 factor, I'd have to say the Firefly wins, hands down

justcametomind

I'd go for the Mighty. It costs just 50$ more than the firefly and you'll have the temperature control you liked on the Volcano plus portability and huge rips.
If the firefly costed 150$ would have been another story but at that price point Mighty wins IMHO.

justcametomind,
Reactions: CroZure

CroZure

Wow, this is great stuff. Thank you for your feedback.

I would say that #1 priority for me is temperature contol. One of the reasons why I vape is because it is a healthy method to stay medicated. Temperature control and convection heating are a must. Next and not far behind temp control is taste. Meaning, if I can't find one which has green hits that taste similar to eating bud but then I will have to stick with the volcano since it gives me both. I just don't want a portable that taste like the Haze does. The Haze is great for a discreet vape but it cannot be my every day one.

The vaporizer I am looking for really doesn't need to be discreet or pocket sized. As long as it is portable then I am fine. It seems like the battery issue on the Mighty might not be as bad as it seems, or at least not a deal breaker based on my priorities. I mean, if you buy a portable with a replaceable battery, you are immediately going to buy at least one backup battery which won't last forever either.

Last edited:
CroZure,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I know this wasn't on your list.

What about the Solo or the Arizer Air? Both very well made vaporizers that have had very few problems here lately. Both have temp control. The Air is the smaller of the two and is stealth. It has user replaceable batteries. The Solo has been around since 2012 and there are many happy owners. The Solo cost is around $150 and the Air is around $170 - $200, I see them on sale.

Do some reading and check out all your options. Pretty important purchase. Sending a unit back is a bitch.

I've thought about buying the Mighty but the cost has held me back. If I didn't like it I would be out all that money.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
If convection is a must, firefly is out of your list

You mean ON the list. FF is true convection.

These are my two go-to ports. They are mirror images of each other.

Mighty: machine-like efficiency and power. Full extraction at low temps. No learning curve. Free open airflow. Good flavor, but not great. Plastic. Ugly. Amazing, face-melting highs. No swappable battery.

FF: feminine, sleek. Tricky learning curve. Pure convection. Best flavor of any port on the market (IME). Metal, glass, beautiful. Restricted airflow. Great, clean, soaring highs. Swappable battery.

These two vapes are, for me, the ultimate complimentary duo. Get em both! I wouldn't be without either of them.

mitchgo61,

MGG

Tbh I haven't used the Mighty but i've used a number of portables and vaporizers and find that the mighty is the best portable i've ever used (I got mine for free so I have absolutely no bias towards it) it's genuinely better than a lot of desktop units on the market and imo renders the Volcano obsolete unless you specifically really need vaporizer bags (maybe too weak to inhale on your own)

I've had no issue with the battery life on the mighty, my only real complaint is that it's a little bulky, I wouldn't use it in public but it's the type of thing I can quickly pack and bring to a friends and be totally satisfied for the night, there's also now a 3rd party water attachment for it so in my opinion it's about as close as you'll get to some kind of portable Vapexhale Cloud.

Mr. Me2

I have the Crafty, not Mighty and Firefly. And I would suggest you get the Mighty (or Crafty) even though there appears to be production issues with some (knock wood, I've had no problems).

I very rarely use my ff anymore. I find it too finicky. But when you get everything just right, you can't beat it. And I love its aesthetic. I don't like the need to stir it mid-session. Very easy maintenance. Very poor battery life. And the ff has (had?) production issues too. I'm on my 3rd.

Hope this helps

EDC

I own the mighty and I've been using it solidly every day for about 6 months now without any issues.

If temperature control is a priority then Mighty > firefly all day! You can control it to the exact temperature degree. It's worth noting that you can also do this on the crafty but you have to download an app and control it by your phone; in my opinion the controls on the mighty are definitely more satisfying to play with.

I run mine through a gb-187 bubbler I got from yingmin off of DHGate. The rips are so potent and thick it's like hitting a bowl from a bong and the level of high you get is definitely a 'medical' dosage.

My advice is to get the mighty or crafty depending on a couple of things:

The crafty is more discreet but has a much shorter battery capacity, so if you're into social vaping or doing long sessions then it might not have enough charge. The mighty can also be used whilst charging whereas the crafty cannot.

The mighty you don't have to use a phone app and the buttons are fun to play with. It's not as big as people make out and can comfortably into the pocket of your jeans. I think the size and weight make it feel more expensive but that's just me I guess! It's not that difficult to clean although if you don't have any then you will want to purchase some iso cleaning alcohol.

The only other vaporizse I would suggest looking at is the arizer air if you want to save a considerable amount of money. However the vapour will not be as thick and thus I imagine less satisfying? I haven't tried it personally however, so I am only guessing! It was a definite contender when I was picking what vape to get. It does use glass stems though which will need cleaning and could break (although you can purchase wooden ones). And I don't know how thick the vapor would be if it was passed through a bubbler to diffuse and cool? Perhaps an arizer air owner will chime in.

I couldn't be happier with the mighty, my only slight issue is that the vapor is so thick, potent and hot that it fucking wrecks you and it will make you cough even if you're a seasoned bong veteran. But maybe I pack the chamber too full haha! Joking aside though it doesn't need a lot to get you high (0.2g is my usual bowl size) and being able to reuse abv is really good (sometimes I venture to the dark side and use it to pad out a joint so you don't have to smoke any tobacco anymore!)

All in all I'd say go for the mighty, you won't be disappointed. I will probably pick up an arizer air at some point though as well just to check it out and gift it to my girlfriend ;)

Hope I helped! (Sorry for the rambling nature of the message, I'm pretty Vaped haha)

EDC,

EDC

The day I got my gb-187 it revolutionised my vaping experience, much less harsh so you can hit it harder for longer and therefore you can really do a 'session' on it.

My two mates and I did a packed bowl on it the other night (probably around 1g of herb) and ran it through the gb-187 and we were laughing out asses off for a couple of hours.

Here's the link to the gb-187 if you're interested:

http://m.dhgate.com/product/hot-sell-the-newest-glass-bong-glass-smoking/188885599.html#pd-019

There's a sale on DHGate right now for Halloween as well!

I purchased my mighty from vapefiend here:

https://www.vapefiend.co.uk/mighty-portable-vaporizer.html

And the water tool adapter (18mm) from them also:

https://www.vapefiend.co.uk/crafty-mighty-easy-flow-water-tool-adapter.html

The reason I've included where I got it from is because I did a lot of searching for the best deal but you also need a supplier who will honour a return if you have any problems with the item. Vapefiend tick both of these boxes and seem like genuinely nice people! You can check their videos out on YouTube reiewing various Vapes etc. Including the mighty!

To be honest if you get this setup you'll probably never NEED another vaporizer and it will be satisfying enough that you won't miss combustion. The fact you can also take it on a hike is an added bonus as it's really a great home piece!

Top Bottom