MFLB or Vapor Genie best for my needs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktx49

Hello FC-

I am a lurker of FC finally registered last night to make this thread and get some opinions and feelings on what portable vaporizer would be best for my situation....

Quick history:
A few weeks ago, I was sitting here grinding my job and smoking away on my glass pipe full of "mids" which is basically just code word for mexican brickweed here in atlanta that is actually decent at times and very smoke-able. The quality of course varies widely from batch to batch but one thing is always the same; on a daily basis I'm smoking copious amounts of plant matter and who knows what else since we can safely assume the cartels havent jumped aboard the organic bandwagon.... :rolleyes:

Well the first thing i'm sure most of you are thinking, "go get some quality nug or grow your own!" well those two things arent really an option; i cant afford to smoke dank the way i smoke and growing is out of the question right now. BTW, i just want to shutout to anyone from the old OVERGROW forums....i was an OG member back in early 2000s maybe some of u guys are also from there.

Anyways since lurking on FC, I've realized just how far vaporizers have come in the last decade....when i was participating on OG, those things were just getting their start and in fact overgrow was the reason i made my first vaporizer....those ghetto lightbulb vaps! Anyways its good to see the progress in the industry....health benefits for all! However the growth of this industry has also made it quite hard to weed out all the crap!

I go to local headshops and they are all trying to sell me different vapes all saying this one sucks get this etc but basically i always do my research and boy am i glad I did....almost bought a knock off VG...it was the same premise different style looked cheap though so i didnt pull the trigger.

Basically I am asking you guys to help me make the correct decision and purchase for my needs and situation. I'm wanting a portable vaporizer something that i can use as an everyday, all day piece(i smoke about once an hour) but also be portable and durable and reliable. As I mentioned before, I am smoking mostly low end plant material never get hash or oils or anything like that so I ruled out the eclipse after looking into on here. This basically leaves me with the VG or the MFLB.

Pricing is not an issue, since both are presumably under $150 which is the maximum im willing to spend to get a nice setup.

However, for someone smoking ALOT and where the quality of the herb may be an issue, which one would you guys recommend??

Now for a twist....

My dad is also a longtime smoker, hes getting older and I really worry about the health effects from decades of smoking crap product. He doesnt smoke as much as me, I think he only tokes once maybe twice a day very small amounts although he does get high grade pretty often. He is a joint guy all the way...one of those types ya know??? so i'm thinking about getting him a vaporizer for christmas present but his needs are different than mine...for him it will be very important to be easy and not complicated process otherwise he'll just say fuk it and dump it into a rolling paper.

If you recommend the vapor genie, can you PLEASE also recommend a specific model?? the VG website has so many options and they apparently affect more than just the cosmetics....

Thanks guys

ktx49,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Well, if you have a glass pipe & like it the glass VG comes to mind first. Or at least a handcarved one if you're gonna use it as a daily driver (just so you have something nice but less breakable, they all function about the same from what I gather).

There are quite a few portables out now though, and at east one to be released soon. I can't recommend all of them yet because we'll have to wait and see how well they will perform, but if you're in no rush you could look in to the VaporBlunt & the Vi-Vape. Both rechargeable units, the VapoBlunt actually just came out so there's a little more info on that one available.

Then of course there's the Arizer Solo. Rechargeable, different temp settings, it has it all. I absolutely love mine but there have been a lot of unhappy users as well so I don't feel comfortable recommending one right now. You'll just have to read the thread & see for yourself if you feel comfortable getting one right now. If you do go for one I'd definitely recommend the older model with the ceramic coating, the newer upgraded model runs cooler yet it has shorter battery life.

I guess I should also mention the Iolite & Wispr, two butane operated portables. I don't like them at all but they have many fans on here so they must be doing something right, guess you should look in to those as well.

The MFLB has a lot of fans as well but I haven't had a chance to try one myself yet. I think it has a little more of a learning curve then the others I mentioned but if you don't mind stocking up on batteries & get yourself a PA for home use it may very well be the one for you.

All models I mentioned have their own threads on here, I suggest looking in to them a bit more to get an idea if they're for you or not. There is no best vape unfortunately, you'll just have to find the one that works best for you or grab one by the balls and try it of course.

Good luck, and welcome to FC!

OhTheAgony,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
Well considering you smoke all day and your tolerance is probably very high, the MFLB might not be the best option for you. You can certainly get ripped off it, but it definitely takes more time and patience, which you may not have when your at work. On the other hand, it is very discreet which means its perfect for an office, although most of the good portables now a days are pretty easy to hide.

If your budget is 150, you may want to think of jumping up 30 dollars and getting an arizer solo for around 180. Its a new vape, but the reviews have generally all been positive and it is a heavy hitter with a long lasting battery and I believe it's smaller than a red bull can.

The vaporgenie is a durable (excluding the glass version), quality piece which can hit heavy, but you have to be good at controlling a lighter so you don't burn it. It actually could be a good option for you if you were willing to master the technique because it would allow you to go through a larger amount of weed by zapping the bowl very fast, which is usually what happens when you get proficient with a lighter vape. Also you've probably had lots of experience with lighters from your smoking and it might be a good transition with a thick heavy smoke.

The arizer solo and the MFLB are polar opposites as far as performance, with the solo having a long lasting battery and hitting very heavy, and the MFLB having batteries that last about the length of 3 bowls at best and minimal visible vapor output. A complaint about the MFLB is that users can't see the vapor sometimes so they think their not getting anything, but that is almost never the case, pure thc vapor is clear anyway I believe.

As far as your dad, the vaporgenie and the MFLB have pretty steep learning curves, so if he's like my dad who's not great with technology, it might prove difficult. He might like a log vape which you can leave on all the time and just pop a little herb in the tube and slide it in the hole on top when you want to vape. This is probably as simple as it gets and theres probably some affordable ones, these usually don't break if im correct as their very simple in operation and construction, a piece of beautiful wood with a heating element in the middle and an inert tube to hold the herb.

Also remember that if your vaping you'll have lots of ABV which you can use for cooking, if your willing to cook with mexican brick weed, maybe butter?

I know thats a lot of general information but hopefully it will help you in your search, I wouldn't necessarily rule out plug in vapes, other portables, or any vapes at all until you do a lot more research. Theres usually that perfect vape that is perfect for one and they just have to find it! :D

for now I would try reading threads on: The Vaporgenie (all models) , Magic Flight, Arizer Solo. Im trying to think of other good fits but im having trouble thinking of any off the top of my head, hopefully other members will chime in to help you.

good luck!

PhishCactus,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
When I first got my MFLB I only had some pretty low grade bush weed (twiggy and seedy) that I keep as my emergency reserve. I generally avoid the stuff, but it's better than nothing. However, in my MFLB the nasty bush became quite a tasty treat. Suddenly this stuff that tasted like burnt hair when combusted was quite palatable.
I would honestly say that you shouldn't be too bothered by the MFLB learning curve, read enough and watch a few youtube vids and you'll get it quick enough. Not sure that it's more suitable for you (definitely not for dad) , maybe the similarities of technique between the VG and combustion pipes will be more to your liking and make the transition easier.
I agree with PhishCactus about looking into a log vape for your dad, might be just the thing.

J.R.R.Tokin',
Reactions: Ansel

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
FWIW - You also have to ask who else will be enjoying your vape with you.

An MFLB is an excellent choice due to the ease of learning curve, and its super duper efficiency. This is a vape I can share with friends and not have to worry too much about combustion. The downside is people often complain of the thinness of the vapor being produced, and the fact that it takes a little longer to enjoy. (plus specialized batteries might be a turn off to some)

The VG is also an excellent choice, but the main complaint I have heard from just about every smoker is the fact that noone else knows how not to combust with the pipe. It delivers excellent hits, its way more efficient than smoking, durable, etc - but the learning curve can be quite the challenge.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the Stainless Steel VG coil would get my vote. Its less expensive than its older sisters, and the stone is set back much further from the intake hole. (Giving you more distance from the end of the flame to your herb that you are trying NOT to burn) Put simply, it tends to give you much more control and is a much easier vape for even the newbest of the newbs to use successfully.

AGBeer,

ktx49

thanks for all the excellent responses and sorry for posting in the wrong forum I thought "ask FC" was more about forum support/mods etc....now i know!

so since my unsuccessful trip(s) to the headshops, I have been reading a large amount of content on here and its actually what led me to make this thread since on FC there is just so much information....i actually became more confused and less sure of what I was looking for.

first of all, thanks for suggesting arizer solo, I'm gonna go research it right now so i dont have any comments yet.

anyways, after reading through the VG thread I just am extremely confused on which models are best suited for my needs....however I see that mr. AGBEER is also recommending the stainless steel coil VG, a familiar occurrence now.....so is this really the way to go if I get a vapor genie??

if thats the case, then I may actually be able to go down both paths and get myself a stainless coil VG and the MFLB since that would be right around my budget....best of both worlds??

If i get a MFLB, what additional accessories/batteries/etc do I also need to purchase with it???

Now to my dad....btw, I should mention that the $150 budget was for my own vape setup not the two of them combined....this will be a christmas present of sorts for him and I will also be looking to spend under $150 for his.

so about $300 max budget to get me and my father vaporizing nice and proper guys!!

as for the recommendations.....i am worried about him being turned off by a complex device or something that just isnt familiar enough to him....however, the non portable vaporizers are not really an option either, since hes just not sitting at home and smoking very often if at all. he likes to smoke while hes out and about!!

how easy would it be for someone with only some basic metal and glass pipe experience to convert over to a MFLB or a VG??
i mean I know the MFLB will require some getting used to and showing him how to do it no matter what hes used to smoking....however he does have one of those generic metal pipes so maybe the stainless coil VG wouldnt be too far from that in terms of feel and looks, but what about actually using it???

Anyways I'm off to do more research look up this Solo and i'll post back.....

+K to those who replied

ktx49,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I am an avid supporter and LOVER of the Magic Flight Launch Box, but in my honest opinion the VG sounds better for your dad. You could go either way, and in reality he could too, but I suggest the VG because it is probably easier to switch to. I could see the batteries and incredibly slow draw of the MFLB being frustrating for him. You should try the MFLB IMO, but the VG would certainly work for you both.

As far as the solo I used to LOVE it, but it stinks like shit and tastes bad and gave me headaches. This happened to both my ceramic solo and the stainless steel replacement. I am not convinced the solo is a safe vaporizer to use honestly. Some people have no problems, but I loved mine and treated it perfectly and in no time the thing was a disaster. 2 bad solos out of 2 are enough for me that I can't recommend it to anyone if I have a 0% satisfaction rate. Great at first but issues will occur and personally I don't want to be inhaling mystery substances.

darkrom,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
One of the main reasons I suggested the SS Coil VG is I have real world experience from a real world smoker.

My buddy BURNS through his stash rather quickly. I tried to convert him to vaping via the MFLB - It was a hassle with the batteries, and it used a rather small amount and gave less than visible hits. He didnt like it.

Original VG - He liked that pipe, but always found himself going back to his regular combustion pipe (especially with his ABV) his major complaint - too difficult to get a good hit off of the VG consistently (without burning it)

SS Coil VG - This is the only success (aside from my SSV) that I have got him to stick with, and actually see *more* of the light when it comes to vaporization. He now swears by this thing, but he does still combust (his ABV when he is dry) But thats the only time he combusts now :)

One of his only complaints about the SS Coil VG is the fact that it takes a little bit longer to get a hit (you cant just light quickly and let the cherry take over) but that is a small thing to have to deal with he says also.

Good luck!

AGBeer,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'd actually recommend the Solo for both you and your father. You might be able to get a deal somewhere and get 2 for $300- it wouldn't need such a big discount from one of the cheapest ebay/amazon sellers.

I can't really think of a more simple portable vape than the Solo- it's virtually fool proof. Turn it on, stick bud in the tube and stick it in the machine, then just suck. He will get stoned, for sure, no lessons needed. It's easier and quicker than making a joint, and not much slower to smoke/vape. The same can't be said for the vapor genie which is quite involved.

Don't be put off too much by the reported issues IMO. We're hearing an awful lot on FC about the same few customers dissatisfaction, but these are but a drop in the ocean of how many Solos have been sold and are probably not really representative of wider satisfaction with the product. As you'll see in the thread, Arizer are providing good customer support with any issues experienced. There's no denying there's a smell, which my replacement Solo had, but it's a residual smell common to many electronics and on mine has dissipated since I received it. This was probably just a matter of days after the first SS Solos were assembled. After a couple of weeks out of the box it had totally gone. It's not ideal, but keeping it in perspective I can live with the fact that it happened. Overall I'm happy with the product and use it a lot- the most out of all the portables I own.

Whatever health fears you might hear on FC about the Solo 'offgassing', it will still be better for your father than smoking and IMO this vape probably has the best chance of converting him to vapor out of all the portable options. :2c:

WatTyler,

Pcpvapors

You may also want to look into the NO2 for both you and your dad, it's really quite simple, great hitting device. It hits great and you can really take your bud farther because of the digital read out, it does quite the job of getting you medicated. Huge clouds are possible to. If you read through the thread here you'll see an issue with a plasticky smell / taste but i believe this issue occurred with earlier batches, either way it is definitely worth looking into

Pcpvapors,

crawdad

floatin
the glass vg has its own thread separate from the other models, check it out in case you have not yet. ive used the classic and own the glass, i highly suggest the glass. the mflb is an awesome vape and the only one im considering adding to my collection of vapes (i only have one, LOL). the issue of battery charge time for you is going to be an issue imho due to how much you want to hit it, but perhaps its not a big enough deal to care about...i would though. the power adapter is a must have so that will add to the cost as well as replacing batteries when they start to go out (rechargeables dont last forever and you'll be doing it a lot).

the glass is.....well....ya. its pretty awesome. you maintain that feel of a pipe that is all glass but all the wonders of vaporizing. the ability to hit it at whatever temp you want (once you get over that learning curve) is hard to compare to others that do not have this ability and if you keep it clean you can watch the herbs shrink down as you hit it to let you know when to back off and take that smooth potent hit. it can combust with enough heat (not too hard to do actually if you know how). clearly you have to deal with lighers, id start with a bic and then try out a torch if you want, i flip back and forth myself depending on mood.

3tiFK.jpg

the hemp colored bag is shown on the left, its nice but the harder case is likely best.

the downside to not getting the mflb is its best for keif and the vg is obviously more "breakable" but as long as you are not prone to accidents already you should be fine. also the mflb is going to be consistent with the same voltage source attached where the vg (any of them) will have variables (flame strength, draw on pipe, wind, herb dryness (more of issue imho with the vg)).

crawdad,

ktx49

how durable does the glass sherlock VG feel to you?? this would be a heavily used piece so i dont want something i'm gonna be nervous sitting out and using.

also u mentioned the NO2....i thought it was more expensive than it is since my local headshops were charging about 300usd for them with a 1year warranty i believe...looked on manufactures website and its only a tad over my budget but seems really slick easy to use and everyone seems to love the way it delivers clouds....

no2 opinions??

ktx49,

Pcpvapors

I personally enjoyed the NO2, it was a great portable although it's not quite pocket sized it's still able to move without a cord. I found it tasted good being a high temp plastic. It's really quite simple to use and definitely gets the job done. I know our member THCMuscle as well as Vitolo are NO2 advocates. Although vapors track record isn't that great, they did quite well with this product IMHO. I'd recommend the VG bats but if your looking to use them out and a bout wind conditions can really piss in your cornflakes. If good old willie nelson can work the NO2 with ease I think your dad will do just fine.

Pcpvapors,

technique

go get some quality nug or grow your own!" well those two things arent really an option; i cant afford to smoke dank the way i smoke and growing is out of the question right now

You could just smoke less and get dank lol, but to each their own.

I would advise against the MFLB as not only is it time consuming but with the mount you smoke you may need attach it to a car battery lol, plus its quite harsh on the throught.

Not a big VG fan but i have great results with a three screen setup on a VOS.

As for your dad, he sounds like he has my old smoking habit and being a smoke lover as i was it is hard to adjust to vape initially. I managed to kick the old smoke using an SSV, its not portable and it is pricey but its bang for your buck. SSv will give you very thick vapour which is something i found essential to the quitting process and is very very good at herb conservation allowing for bowls as small as 0.25 and maybe lower.

BUT..... since vaporizing gives you potent hits it will also deliver any nasties in the bud to your system very very well so i do hope you find better herb for your sake.

technique,

ktx49

i can get better herb, its just all about the market here in atlanta....i'm no longer in the "loop" per say so I'm paying straight up market prices these days....and here in Atlanta that means up to $80 for 3.5g.
fter reading through page after page of people smoking high quality nugs and bragging about their vapes i went ahead and caved in.....

picked up a half oz of AMAZING herb...$200 for a half oz is just not sustainable the way i smoke but I figured i'd treat myself to some dank nuggets also wanted to have some good nugs for when my vaporizer choice is made.

anyways im leaning more and more towards the NO2(for myself)...it just seems to be a lot like the solo which has so many features that i liked, but without the "beta" type problems...just seems to me like the arizer solo would be my first choice once they figure it out completely; i despise being a guinea pig AND still having to pay full retail prices if you know what im saying.

so this is what im thinking so far:

NO2 for myself although i do need to find a good store to purchase it from online, since all the stores around here are ripping people off and some dont even include the warranty. anyone know where to find the best deal on these NO2s??

and for my dad, I'm gonna get him the SS Coil VG to try and get him started on vaporizing....no worries guys, I'm not gonna hog the NO2 all for myself!! I'll let him use it whenever he wants and if he likes that type better than the VG, we can always get one later on down the line. i think this is also the best choice for him in case he just completely dismisses vaporizing; as I'd hate to plop $150 on a device that he uses once or twice before placing it back and the box and grabbing his trusty rolling papers.

so thanks to all who have responded, as I have not ordered yet, I am still open to any suggestions or opinions or anything else you guys think I should know about the NO2, SSCoilVG, etc.

thanks

ktx49,

ktx49

Pcpvapors said:
No2 ends up being 135 shipped through vapeworld after discount code "slacker"

ok dont see where or how i do that also it says they are authorized "resellers" wat does that mean are these refurbished units?

ktx49,
G

I have the Magic Flight Launch Box and it's the best piece I've ever bought. It doesn't produce any smell or smoke, and it requires no lighter at all. It fits in the palm of your hand too, so I always bring mine with me and hit it in places you'd never even dream of smoking a bowl at.

Guest,

Pcpvapors

ktx49 said:
Pcpvapors said:

ok dont see where or how i do that also it says they are authorized "resellers" wat does that mean are these refurbished units?

No it means they are authorized dealer. When you click add to cart you'll see a box with a huge arrow pointing to it that says discount codes here. Type in "slacker" the checkout page will reload and it will tell you the code was successful. VapeWorld, is a very reputable company and a sponsoring retailer of these forums.

Pcpvapors,

ktx49

Pcpvapors said:
ktx49 said:
Pcpvapors said:

No it means they are authorized dealer. When you click add to cart you'll see a box with a huge arrow pointing to it that says discount codes here. Type in "slacker" the checkout page will reload and it will tell you the code was successful. VapeWorld, is a very reputable company and a sponsoring retailer of these forums.

ahh ok thanks man, i'm actually about to place my order now....ill report back

i still want a MFLB but I want something more like the solo/NO2 for myself

*EDIT*

ok placed my order for the NO2 and much thanks to Pcpvapors for helping me out with that code...saved me a significant amount, i was able to add some additional screens and priority shipping without going over the $150 budget i had set for myself! thanks!

ktx49,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom