Manual Vape Thread

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
He's also made a 24mm Killer. Not sure I've torched that one yet, but both are excellent heated by coil:
IMG-6453.jpg

Thank you very much! Yes, I saw your post (I read through the entire thread today :D) and then searched for it on the GVB website, but only found the 18mm version. However, I think the 18mm will be sufficient for me; I prefer bowls around 0.2g.

I'm currently looking at the matching WPAs on GVB - the capsule version with an 18mm connection is my current favorite.

By the way, an unbelievably awesome setup in your photo! :mmmm:

jbm

So there seem to be a number of these glass "manual" vapes, the Elev8r, the Vaphit, the Terpsicle, the Quartz Cap, the 18mm (and apparently 24mm) Killer (I'm sure I've missed some) - what distinguishes them? All I have of these is the ur ball vape, the DC Elev8r. Which of these are good for small bowls?

coolbreeze

So there seem to be a number of these glass "manual" vapes, the Elev8r, the Vaphit, the Terpsicle, the Quartz Cap, the 18mm (and apparently 24mm) Killer (I'm sure I've missed some) - what distinguishes them? All I have of these is the ur ball vape, the DC Elev8r. Which of these are good for small bowls?
The 18mmk uses a basket for the bowl which is pretty reasonable. The others vary in size and also between conduction/convection. @RogueGuy covers every angle and those vapes rock. Dig in a bit and see what you think, but the 18mmK is a fine place to start.

Radwin Bodnic

There is basically two designs in the vapes you cite here : the double-flow design originated by the Vaponic and the glass ball-vape design which, in his manual iteration, comes from the Sand Castle. (Which is itself a hybrid of a glass symphony and a banger.)

You can add a third category represented by the biovapo, roasty, nameless conduction, etc... and a fourth category that are glass bricks and vaporgenies.

The double flow design gives a hybrid heating profile between convection, conduction and radiation. Works well with flower and hash, pretty efficient. Size, thickness of the glass, air intake design, change the balance between conduction and convection, the heat retention. At 40€ I strongly suggest you to get a Vaponic, it's a very balanced design.

Ball-vapes and bricks / VG are basically pure convection and biovapo / roasty pure conduction.

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Don't forget some of the first direct draw glass 'bricks', like the underrated Smoke Stack from TRWW, that morphed into the Submarine via the aforementioned Piro...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
the 18mm (and apparently 24mm) Killer (I'm sure I've missed some) - what distinguishes them? All I have of these is the ur ball vape, the DC Elev8r. Which of these are good for small bowls?

I actually also have a 14 mm killer, but yeah the 18 is the flagship, that's why they are still available, not sure we will see more 24 or 14 size killers since the demand hasn't been so high? People sleepin on them, worth trying!

like the underrated Smoke Stack from TRWW, that morphed into the Submarine via the aforementioned Piro...

Just so you know, the smoke stack was not the first (nor were the bricks), and it did not morph into the others either lol there are folks here who were just basically using glass tubes and adapters to do this style of vaping long before these all were available

Last edited by a moderator:

gmocooties

I think my favourite aspect of torch-driven vapes (especially so for the brick-esque designs) is the interplay between torching and inhaling. Can be a little overwhelming at first, but it quickly becomes second-nature - the musical instrument analogy is a little overused but it does ring true 😁 I think this is why I find myself favouring vapes that don't click lately.

A couple of recent acquisitions: I picked up the Convector XL during the 420 sale and that thing is a monster. Highly recommended. Bagged an SB Twist the other day too - beautiful little unit that hits a real sweet spot for me air-flow wise, especially with the 18mm stem through a J-hook. This one feels very forgiving compared to my Runt, but it might just be all the practice lol.

There's a few on the wishlist too, so I'd love to get some opinions from any past/current owners:
- Dreamwood Roasty
- Vapour Genie (probably the glass sherlock)
- Retrosteam

Happy torching!

Perfect_Speed4069

I'd love to get some opinions from any past/current owners:
- Dreamwood Roasty!
I can't speak to the others, but the Roasty is the Ur vape. Wood and glass. Butane. And arguably closest to the joint experience then any other vapes and absolute delight btw. As is the larger and glassier Nameless Conduction vape from @trww

gmocooties

I can't speak to the others, but the Roasty is the Ur vape. Wood and glass. Butane. And arguably closest to the joint experience then any other vapes and absolute delight btw. As is the larger and glassier Nameless Conduction vape from @trww
I was eyeing the one from TRWW just today, but can't really resist the gorgeous wood on the Roasty. You've really got me hankering for one now, haha!

Perfect_Speed4069

I was eyeing the one from TRWW just today, but can't really resist the gorgeous wood on the Roasty. You've really got me hankering for one now, haha!
They're both great vapes for what they are. If you're into niche manual vapes of this kind and want glass only, may I also recommend the Biovapo. And whatever the Black Leaf equivalent is called

coolbreeze

Roasty Mini:
IMG-7878.jpg

They take a bit of practice but if you've used a Dynavap you're most of the way there. Flavor can be sublime. The bigger Roasties slip into their stems for pocketability, and with a decent torch it's great for outdoors.

Top Bottom