Making brownies with hash and Everclear

Trajectory.

I have some very stick, moist Lebanese hash. You can't break it up like drier hash or flower. So I thought of dissolving it in Everclear, then heating the solution in a mason jar placed in a pot of steaming water (about 200F) for about 30 minutes to decarb it. Would that work?

Trajectory.,

Trajectory.

Another thought is to use a small amount of Everclear as a solvent to liquify the wet, sticky hash. Just a few drops, really. Then when it's liquified, pour a few ounces of olive oil into the mason jar with the liquified hash, set it in a pot with heated canola oil, and heat for 30 or 40 minutes at 240F. Think that's better?

Trajectory.,

Tji89

Hi- you can skip the everclear part if you're baking. Just decarb the hash regularly like with weed. Then infuse it with the amount of butter or coconut oil that recipe needs.

I like to do decarb in a mason jar in oven, then infuse stuff in same mason jar in slow cooker after.

condition

Tj is right, why you want to liquify? Oven works fine, just put some cooking paper around it.

condition,

Old Moderate

Hi- you can skip the everclear part if you're baking. Just decarb the hash regularly like with weed. Then infuse it with the amount of butter or coconut oil that recipe needs.

I like to do decarb in a mason jar in oven, then infuse stuff in same mason jar in slow cooker after.
Probably after decarbing it, the hash will no longer be sticky.

Old Moderate,

Trajectory.

Thanks, but I cannot decarb this wet, stick chunk of hash in an oven. It will not come apart like dry hash or flower. You cannot use a grinder. If I put the wet lump in an oven, only the outer 1 or 2 percent will be exposed to the 220F heat. So would dissolving it in a mason jar with Everclear, then adding olive oil and heating the jar in a larger pot of oil at at least 220F work?

Trajectory.,

Tji89

Break the hash in small bites. The whole thing should be thoroughly warm and decarbed after 30 minutes in the oven. Never had any problem with decarbing sticky hash.

Not sure what you mean by wet hash though. Did you just make it and it hasn't dried yet?

Tji89,

Trajectory.

Thanks TJ, but I cannot break up this sticky lump of tar into small pieces. Since heat is what converts THCA to THC, you don't need to use an oven. I'm looking for an alternative method. Do I have the right idea with using EvercleaEverclear

Trajectory.,

Tji89

Either way you should decarb it first for best potency. Usually people make tinctures with everclear. In that process they also decarb first. Good luck.

Tji89,

badbee

only the outer 1 or 2 percent will be exposed to the 220F heat.
With respect, this isn't how heat works. It needs heat, not atmospheric oxygen, to decarb. 20 minutes in an oven and every bit will be at 220F and fully decarbed. Think of it like a roast of beef. Alcohol plays no useful purpose in decarbing, there is no such thing as "decarbing with liquid".

Trajectory.

Ok, you've got me convinced to try the oven with a small piece.

But since we agree that decarbing is caused by heat, check out this video of a guy decarbing his shatter in a glass beaker placed in a pot of heated cooking oil (oil will heat to a higher temp than water without boiling).

badbee

Ok, you've got me convinced to try the oven with a small piece.

But since we agree that decarbing is caused by heat, check out this video of a guy decarbing his shatter in a glass beaker placed in a pot of heated cooking oil (oil will heat to a higher temp than water without boiling).

I can see that would work, but why? A nice safe oven is so easy, and safe, and easy. I would save this for defending the castle from invading hordes. If you follow this procedure please make sure you have a good fire safety and exit plan, and for crying out loud don't leave the alcohol right next to the hot plate.

Trajectory.

Progress report. I looked at that sticky lump of hash, solid as a rock, and said no way I'm going to try to decarb it in my unreliable oven in half an hour.

So I put it in a mason jar and poured in about an inch of everclear. After an hour, the 190 proof alcohol had a slight brown tint. It took over four hours to fully dissolve, even with regular stirring.

Now I'm waiting for the alcohol to evaporate, so I can decarb it by pouring in a few ounces of olive and coconut oil and placing the mason jar in a pot of cooking oil, heated to 240F for an hour.

If it works, I'm going to have a potent batch of brownies!

Last edited:
Trajectory.,

Trajectory.

Progress report update 02.25.23.

Almost 3 days ago I put that 1g lump of sticky hash into a mason jar and poured in an inch of Everclear. Yesterday, the alcohol was finally evaporated. So I thought great, now I can decarb it.

This morning I tried to heat up the cooking oil to about 230F, so I could set the mason jar in and watch those beautiful bubbles start to rise.

HA! My stove is a piece of shit. The burners will NOT hold a consistent temp. It can get near the temp range, but it constantly cycles on and off, dropping down to 170 then swinging back up to 255.

I ordered a slow cooker. The kind that will let you digitally enter the temp. And I have an accurate oven thermometer, to keep it honest.

Last edited:
Trajectory.,
Reactions: RxPlorer

Trajectory.

Progress report update 03.03.23.

My slow cooker turned out to be a crock, heating to a maximum temp of only 180F. I just dropped it off at UPS to return to Amazon.

I may have under-decarbed my flower a couple weeks ago at 117F to 131F for only 30 minutes (I have a crappy oven that can't hold a constant temp).

So I decided this morming to decarb it a little more for 15 minutes between 130F to 140F. I was very lucky my oven held at that temp range. The bud was protected a bit by a few drops of olive oil.

Now my oven is heating for brownies. I figure any deficiencies in my decarbing efforts will be offset by the enhanced strength that digestion through the liver gives to THC. Stay tuned.

Trajectory.,

Trajectory.

Munched a small corner of my brownies yesterday. It worked! Damn, they were potent.

My first decarb worked! After 26 miles on my bike in the morning, those munchies had me really relaxed the rest of the day.

I'd attach a pic but don't see a way to do so on my phone. Looks like it will accept an internet link only, not grab a pic.

Last edited:
Trajectory.,
Top Bottom