Lung burn when vaping - bad news for vaping?

organic weed

@Astedra I suggest you to go to the doctor to make sure you don't have the beginning of a bronchitis. If it gets chronic it's not fun.
In addition I suggest all of the following:
- stop use for a couple of weeks to improve health condition
- start vaping less, like twice per week for example, and increase dosage/frequency according to your health condition response
- use a water tool
- vape at lower temperatures, beginning at 140 C and don't go over 195 C, maybe just having the last 2/3 draws at this T
- do small draws
- combine vaping and edibles
- sip some water after every 3/4 draws
- do some running/aerobic exercise - it helps cleaning up

If it doesn't improve cut down consumption. Not everybody respond the same to vaping and Cannabis. I had similar symptoms and over 6 months I managed to decrease use and dosage a lot doing all of the above and my cough has almost disappeared and I'm ready to decrease usage even more if necessary, since I'm just suffering from some anxiety on and off... our health comes before anything else in my opinion.

I don' think it is the vaporizer because I think MFLG is not a good vape, very poor filtration. Crafty is way better. I think it's more about how you are vaping than anything else. Unfortunately vaping seems easy but actually it's not if you want to do it consciously. For some people It requires awareness to feel how your body responds to it. It takes some time and experiments and unfortunately we all have to learn from each other since there's no training course yet on how to vape correctly... Maybe where's legal but not where' s not

Last edited:

uweed

My apologies for bumping an older thread, but I just wanted to make one observation on the original issue reported, which I understand to be a burning sensation in the lungs taking big hits from a vape running through a water tool filled with high temperature water.

One factor I saw obliquely mentioned which I think is worth emphasizing is the temperature of the water you're running the vapor through.

Condensation of water vapor is an exothermic process (the same energy is released that it took to evaporate the water in the first place). The hotter you make the water you draw through, the more vapor the air will hold, but it is likely super-saturated at body temperature (meaning that some of it will condense out when the vapor cools)

A considerable amount of the cooling is likely to be taking place when the vapor is distributed in your bronchia and lungs - it's at this point that any excess water vapor will condense out, releasing its heat. This may be contributing to the burning sensation you feel.

I'd suggest running a simple experiment to see if this is a factor - inhale the water vapor only (heating to the same degree as when you vape your herb, of course) to see if you experience similar effects.

Hello Folks
I'm a healthy 40+ years old. I exercise cardiovascularly 5 times a week. I have been an athlete in the past so I know what it means to do cardiovascular work.

I started using cannabis again about 3 years ago after 10 years rest. I'm not a daily consumer, vaporizing 3 times maximum per week with 0.3/0.35 gr. Overall I am a light consumer, about 1 gram/week, vaping always below 200 C which is below tars and CO and benzene start forming.

I grow my organic staff. No liquid fertilizer. I use it against stress, as I have the tendency to accumulate it?

I had problems with dry throat in the beginning of vaping because I have chronic rinities for ages due to an allergy, which makes my mucosa sensible. I overcome it by attaching my vape to a water pipe and drinking some water after every 2/3 hits, which I do and things improved a lot.

Recently I also added very hot water to my vape because I read it was better than iced cold water on the throat. Things got even better on the throat.

However after a couple of times I did that, I felt a burning sensation in my lung if I take big hits. Small hits are ok, but not big hits anymore. It started about 2 weeks ago, a few days after I used hot water.

I did an Internet search on possible causes and I did not find much, except this interesting article saying that "burnt lung feeling" is given when people have been chronic smokers for years or have had a serious pulmonary illness in the past.

http://www.stonerdays.com/stoner-guide-vapes-bad-lungs/

Well, I've never had any of these two things and I have no problem at all with breathing during my intense aerobic exercise. Since I started vaping I have some small mucus production but no cough or staff like that. I did pulmonary exams 1 year ago and everything was ok.

All of this is to ask your opinion on following two aspects:

1. Can the heated water caused/causes some minor irritation on my lungs so that now I feel that burning lung sensation in big hits? I still use warm water.

2. Isn't the cannabis oil that gets to my lungs at 170-200 C, causing this burning sensation?

This second case is what worries me more because when vaporizing, we are actually breathing heated oil. These are tiny small particle that can fly only because the mechanics of vapor works in that way. If the oil wouldn't be much hotter than the surrounding, it wouldn't fly. So when it reaches the lungs, hot heated oil can irritate or even burn them if the vape is too hot... That would be bad news for vaping... After vaping repeatedly for a long time - which I never did as I am a light MJ user, but I have very sensitive mucosa because of my allergy, remember? - .... So who vapes for a long time can have damaged lungs because of the heated oil deposited on the lung?

What do you think could be the cause of my lung burning sensation when taking long hits?
Did you experienced similar issue before?

In addition, vaping can be pretty harsh on throat and after a long time, vaping can also be a cause for some serious illness to develop.

What do you thing about this also? Vaping bad on lungs and throat because of mechanical problems due to too much heat in the vapor but not for the vapor compounds that are perfectly safe...

EDIT: just to clarify even more my point... When burning during combustion, the smoke is full of contaminants in a molecular form in the smoke that is basically hot air at 500+ C. However, hot air can get warm almost instantekt when mixed with cold air. Which is what happens when smoking, where there are tons of hazardous chemicals in the smoke that get warmer. Lung problems by smokers are caused by the toxins and not by the heat

The dynamics of vaping is still pretty much unknown. The resin is an oil. When it reaches its boiling point it evaporates by the million of particles still are in the form of oil, correct? The oil is much more difficult to cool than the smoke, correct? So it would reach the lung at a higher T. Right or wrong? Can vaping also damage the lungs somehow after a long use?
I notice you mention allergies. Coughing and mucous production are signs of allergic reaction that I often exhibit when vaping flowers and oil, just because my body is used to smoke, but not as well acclimated to vapor. I also sometimes get a throat irritation that can burn or itch. And when I rub up against a fresh plant, that will often irritate my skin. I do volcano hits (hot water bong, not the vaporizer) occasionally. It is easier on the lungs, but it allows you to breathe in more vapor than cold, so it's probably not something you should do every session. A little water in the lungs isn't that big of a deal, but if you're keeping it saturated in there throughout the day, that could become problematic -- especially since your throat and lungs sound pretty stressed right now.

I like the idea mentioned above about trying the hot water bong for a dry run to see if it irritates your lungs w/o Cannaproduct.

ragnorokk,
Top Bottom