Looking to upgrade from my Arizer Solo, would like to find an artisan portable that works with my asthma.

atomicthumbs

Howdy all. I'm pleased to find there's a resource for high-end vapes full of knowledgeable folks. I'll make it quick:

I have an original Arizer Solo. It's nice, but it's showing its age, and I'm debating whether to replace its battery, get a Solo II, or get a better vape. If I'm getting a better one, I'd love to find an artisan vape that does what I need it to, in part because I'm wondering about the opportunity for higher quality, and in part because I think that would be fun.

My critera are these:
  • Must provide vapor at least as cool/smooth as a Solo, ideally without water (I'd like to take it hiking). In the past I've found that oil vapes and smoking can cause an asthma attack, but I have very rarely if ever experienced this with the Solo.
  • No plastic in air path.
  • Portable, battery-powered (or, if butane-powered, arranged for indirect heating in such a way so I'm not inhaling lighter exhaust; I don't know what that would do to me and I'm not keen on finding out)
  • Ideally a session vape for controllability, though I've never tried a one-hitter. My tolerance is fairly low.
  • Ideally charging with USB-C, and more ideally properly with USB-C PD (without requiring an old-style adapter cable). I'm tired of the damn small-diameter 12v Solo adapter that sometimes stops charging the thing without being unplugged for a while. Even bigger bonus if it can run the heater directly off a high power USB-C charger.
  • Ideally at least as easy to clean as the Solo.
Anyone got any leads or recommendations?

atomicthumbs,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

gangababa

Howdy all. I'm pleased to find there's a resource for high-end vapes full of knowledgeable folks. I'll make it quick:

I have an original Arizer Solo. ...
I have my second original Solo (is that possible?). It is some nine years enjoying the Solo.
Usually I start at 5 and always finish on high (7).

Now I have a Tinymight 2 and suggest you should too.
And to my surprise seems easier in my throat than my Solo has been recently.

It is like a super-charged Solo. Glass stem, more flexible bowl size, easy cleaning.
There is a lot of stem/ cooling options. USB C cable charging; replaceable battery.

It is portable but eats batteries. I get five .1g dosing capsules per battery.
Using dosing capsules slows down the TM delivery making it closer to the Solo experience.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
When I got my first modern vapes I picked up a Solo 2 and Firewood 7, but after getting to know them, I almost always preferred the on demand fw7 over the solo, and I eventually replaced my solo with an Underdog for at home use.

My current favorite all rounder nowadays is the Firewood 9 (the current Firewood model), though I would also recommend the 7 if you can find one.
Pros:
- on board usb c charger and a removable 18650 battery (the main advantage of the fw9 over the 7)
- airpath is ceramic, glass and stainless steel (there is 1 small silicone o ring to hold the stem in place)
- crucible system is easier for me to clean than the 7’s non removable oven
- vapor seems less harsh than my solo 2 at 380 and 420f
- Stem is retractable so it’s easier to pocket than the solo
- quick heat up (~3-5s from pressing the button)

Cons:
- convection based and requires a little bit of technique to get good vapor or just a longer draw
- crucibles can be irritating to remove without tweezers and are HOT when freshly used
- fairly expensive
- main body is wood, so might get dinged over time while hiking without a case

Unfortunately I haven’t tried any of the other popular options that don’t have at least some plastic in the airpath, but the Tinymight 2 gets rave reviews and is basically the solo with an on demand mode.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
  • Ideally a session vape for controllability, though I've never tried a one-hitter. My tolerance is fairly low.

Welcome to FC! I do think Tinymight2 is an easy choice for what you want, though there are a lot of options, most readily available and meets all requirements, quoted the above because the distinction is not one hitter... On demand, with pure convection, means you're only vaporizing when you inhale the hot air through the herbs, furthermore it's only heating up when you press the button on demand, as opposed to a session hybrid vape that is constantly cooking making the vapor for you, so it is much more efficient and full temp range dial gives you full control along with the button, so you see much more control, ability to take just one hit without wasting more of the load, and it is also glass stem-based just like your solo (there are many great options for aftermarket cooling stems now though the stock setup is effective I haven't used it in a long time) Good luck with your search!

atomicthumbs

After carefully considering the Tinymight 2 and the Firewood 9, I ended up going with the Tinymight, in part because it seemed more readily available and I have a camping trip with friends coming up soon. Thing arrived yesterday and I'm enamored, not just at the vapor but at how generally nice it is. The machining on this thing is amazing.

Thanks y'all!

gangababa

After carefully considering the Tinymight 2 ... I ended up going with the Tinymight, ... Thing arrived yesterday and I'm enamored, not just at the vapor but at how generally nice it is. The machining on this thing is amazing.

Thanks y'all!
Well OK!
Now wander over to the Tinymight/ TM2 thread for more amazing.

Alan Watts wrote about 20th century materialist culture, wherein people don't appreciate "the material", the matter of things.
It is a delight to handle the material, the mass of the TM's wood and metal.

gangababa,
Top Bottom