link to glycerin tincture

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
So, I finally had a chance to bottle my glycerin tincture. The following is the procedure I used:
- 4 oz. mixture of sunleaves, inner trim, and unsellable buds (ground in a food processor to a pretty fine grind (about that of cigarette tobacco)). I should note that all cannabis in the tincture was of extremely high quality: Mostly Super Lemon Haze, some Green Queen, and some other hybrid I can't remember the name of (all grown indoor hydro).
-32 oz. food grade glyerin

Let sit in a warm place (~85 deg.) for two months (stirring every day, or at least a few times per week)
Place in a sauce pan and bring slowly to almost a boil, the heat helps to warm the glycerin even more and makes pouring easier.

Cut a square from an an old T-shirt, wet with glycerin, and wring out (this prevents the tincture from soaking into the T-shirt, since it is already saturated with pretty much the same product). The square should be just large enough to fit into a potato ricer and cover the top of the cannabis/glycerin mixture once it is poured in.

Place the cut T-shirt square into a potato ricer and pour the cannabis/glycerin mixture onto the T-shirt. Cover the remaining mixture with the T-shirt and press into a container.

I had to do this several times to get all the tincture out. Also, halfway through I needed to re-heat the mixture so the glycerin would be easy to strain from the press.

Bottle

I would like to thank herbgirl for her recommendations on using a potato ricer (the first time, I just used latex gloves and squeezed it) and for the idea of getting the t-shirt wet with glycerin first to saturate it.

The main problem I have with this is I used 32oz. of glycerin and got 18 1oz. bottles worth. I think there is still tincture in the cannabis that I threw out, and probably should not have.

I think a better tool to use is a tincture press (herbgirl linked to one on the previous page). With a tincture press, you could just screw it down as tight as possible and let it drip for as long as it takes.

So, how strong is the tincture?
While bottling it, I took ~1/3 of a dropper full, maybe up to 1/2 (I kept eating the small drops that escaped the bottling process).

I am quite high from just that. I have a low tolerance, but still, this is strong tincture. I have yet to make alcohol tincture this strong (although I have not let it sit for 2 months before).

The first glycerin tincture I made, I let sit for one month. Granted the cannabis was not as of high of quality, because I did not use any unsellable buds, as I did this time. However, the color was noticeably darker this time. I think overall two months may be the way to go.

Although, I may try a combo method of alcohol and glycerin (like the one herbgirl mentioned) one of these days, this glycerin tincture rocks! I turned many people onto this tincture in my first batch. Now this one is even stronger, and I already have several bottles accounted for. If you can just let the tincture sit for awhile, it is well worth it.

Hopefully, this all makes some sense. I am super medicated.

Also, just in case I didn't thank herbgirl enough in this post for dropping science and shit all over us, THANKS!

Nuphile,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
thanks nuphile for the props - but i must thank you for putting in the effort and materials to actually get to the end of this process. :clap:

i know we all appreciate that! :rockon:

herbgirl,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Does anyone know what the shelf life of cannabis glycerin tincture is? The herbologist at my local herb store said it has a shelf life, but doesn't know how long it is.
Also, I was keeping it in the refrigerator, but I don't even know if that is necessary.
Anyone have any insight?

Nuphile,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
VG itself has a 1-2yr shelf life depending on which mfgr/vendor you talk to. Not sure how about shelf life of the active VG tincture though.

Lo,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Lo, thanks for the info.

I know that some dispensaries sell glycerin tincture, so I am assuming the shelf life must be at least a few months. I am in Oregon though, and this state does not have dispensaries.

Nuphile,
Top Bottom