Infused coconut oil does not solidify in refrigerator but it must.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hello, I used this coconut oil to infuse ABV in my sous vide with a mason jar.
I filled the mason jar to the near top with water to prevent the jar from floating.
The intent was to cut a piece of the solidified oil to release the water as i've done in the past, actually with this coconut oil, but for some reason it's not happening this time.
What can I possibly do to save and use this infusion?
Thank you!

jeffp,

Vaporware

If there’s a lot of water, maybe re-liquefying it and then carefully spooning or syringing away the oil should get most of the water out. This isn’t a problem I’ve had to deal with, but if no one else responds and you don’t have a better idea, that’s what I would try.

Vaporware,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Is the fridge plugged in?

(sorry hehe :D )

whoa i forgot to plug it in! thank you!!!
seriously maybe there's a recipe for an edible that calls for both oil and water that I could use to salvage the oil if there's no other option.

jeffp,
Reactions: kel

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I have no idea about such things. It does seem very strange to me that the coconut oil isn't solidifying.

Hope you can find a way that isn't just necking it :science:

Edit: What about boiling the water off? Maybe a bit drastic, but I can't see any of the oils going anywhere at 100°C - I may be wrong of course!

kel,
Reactions: jeffp

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I've never had this happened before, I left the oil in the fridge overnight in the "cold zone" in the back,
excited to begin turning it into edibles this morning but to no avail.
Someone here will have an answer.

jeffp,
Reactions: kel

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Try colder? Throw that sucker in the freezer and check on it every hour. If that doesn't work have you somehow managed to emulsify the oil and water?

Cheebsy,
Reactions: shredder

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
The Ghirardelli brownies we make call for both water and oil. :)
Thank you. If it's a table or teaspoon of water it's not going to work, it's more a half cup of water. I'm used to making my own organic cacao brownies but it's reasonable to assume that if I make "watery" brownies it can be eaten with a spoon if necessary. Thank you! Good idea.

jeffp,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hmmmm.... I guess it could be, I have no idea what proportions it needs of each part for that to work... They may still separate with time I suppose. Try the freezer, if that doesn't work leave it in the fridge for a week or more.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Lecithin’s an emulsifier so that could well be it.

Worse comes to worst, store the jar in a cool dark place. Water and oil have different specific gravities and will naturally separate over time. But yeah, try the freezer first.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hmmmm.... I guess it could be, I have no idea what proportions it needs of each part for that to work... They may still separate with time I suppose. Try the freezer, if that doesn't work leave it in the fridge for a week or more.

Thanks, it's in the freezer now, I'll update if there's any changes. I was really looking forward to making a new heady batch of brownies; I find I get the best infusions with the sous vide and it's high end ABV. Worse comes to worse I'll overbake a very wet batch and eat it with a spoon if necessary.

jeffp,
Reactions: Cheebsy

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Lecithin’s an emulsifier so that could well be it.

Worse comes to worst, store the jar in a cool dark place. Water and oil have different specific gravities and will naturally separate over time. But yeah, try the freezer first.

Thanks, it's in the freezer now. I'm convinced it's the lecithin.

jeffp,
Reactions: cx714

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Oooh I have an idea...

How about making a smoothie?

I often soak dried mango overnight then blend the soak water and mango with freshly squeezed orange juice - bloomin delicious!! I doubt the coconut oil will be noticeable!

If that makes too much you could then freeze the juice as mango and orange ice lollies!

Vaporware

Thank you. If it's a table or teaspoon of water it's not going to work, it's more a half cup of water. I'm used to making my own organic cacao brownies but it's reasonable to assume that if I make "watery" brownies it can be eaten with a spoon if necessary. Thank you! Good idea.

I see some of their brownies are only 1/4 cup, but the ones we get from Costco are 1/3 cup water and they even have a cake recipe on the back that uses 2/3s of a cup of water.

Vaporware,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I'll search for a brownie recipe that calls for 1/3rd cup of water, that would suffice. Thank you!

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks to everyone, I used the freezer to silicone spatula approach and I gathered the solid oil in pieces.
Just waiting for it to reliquify and I'll make a batch of brownies with it.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
amazing brownies last night - so glad I didn't dump the oil but rather inquired for guidance here.
the culprit was the lecithin; not sure if I'll use it for future infusions.
Thanks again. These are among the most potent and delicious edibles I've ever made.
Every home should have a sous vide. :)

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
You can always add the lecithin after the infusion if you like the water method 👍
The water method was my first go round with the sous vide. I was concerned about oil seeping up and out of a sous bag while pumping air out and compromising the seal. In my opinion for how little I know from experience, I find the sous top of the line for small batch infusions. I've tried the Ardent Nova with its infusing container, and a slow cooker with an external temperature control device; neither came close.

So, let me understand what you're saying. By adding lecithin after the infusion, do you mean after the plant material is removed and the water is expelled and the oil is reliquified? I can't visualize what you're telling me... thanks.

jeffp,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Sorry @jeffp . What I meant was, add the lecithin to your recipe when you use the infusion.

I assume you're adding the lecithin to aid with absorbtion and bio availability? If so, as long as you add it at a point in the recipe that means it can be evenly distributed, you get the benefits. I hope that helps 👍

Cheebsy,
Top Bottom