IH for Ti nail

Hi Everyone!

Long time lurker, 1st time posting! This forum helped me quit cigarettes a few times (until I finally got the hang of it) and I couldn't be more grateful!!

I've been fascinated by all the different IH devices for the dynavap, except the only thing I do with flowers now is squish all the goodness out and dab it!!

I've been catching up with all of the different projects I can find and have come across a few vids of people using IH for their dab nails, but I cant find any write-ups for that technique so I've got a few questions I hope you can help with!!

I am planning to try with the smallest nail I can find cheaply which happens to be a 14mm Ti domed nail. Domeless would be more practical but I think it might be too much metal and cause power draw issues so I will start small and see how things go. I was also considering titanium inserts that could possibly just be dropped into a regular banger but they are surprisingly expensive and it seems like the least stoner friendly option if ever that heated dish jumps off the tweezers!

Here comes the questions part, in order of stupidity:

1) Do any of you experienced IH users think the popular Geekcreit® 5V -12V ZVS will be enough for this task or should I be looking at a higher rated model? If more power is required, any recommendations?

2) is it possible to have an extension wire (similar to enail style) between the coil and the ZVS circuit board input for it? I'm assuming not as everybody has a direct connect with the unit sitting directly next to whatever they are heating in any vids I can find. Sorry if its a ridiculous question for those who are more knowledgeable with circuitry.

3) I'm not fully sure why people have a mos trigger in their setups, but for $3 I have no objections to including one if needed... this is purely for home use. I'm sure somebody must have explained this part already, any links you can point me at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I'm asking questions that have been answered a million times already; I've been searching so much I'm starting to get lost :(

PuffDaMagicDragon,
Reactions: The Beagle

Phenix

You can „extend“ the wire or replace it with longer wire+coil it yourself.
The question is should you?

Phenix,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...wouldn't an e-nail setup be easier? seems like your looking for more work than required.. unless being tethered to an e-nail is out of the question... but i also assume if you went the ih route to heat a nail you'd probably wouldn't be using something battery powered :shrug::hmm:

just_the_flu,
...wouldn't an e-nail setup be easier? seems like your looking for more work than required.. unless being tethered to an e-nail is out of the question... but i also assume if you went the ih route to heat a nail you'd probably wouldn't be using something battery powered :shrug::hmm:

yes, the wire dangling and the handle part seem like a disaster, I know everyone loves theirs but I'm trying to get that same effect and be able to lean back occasionally. I've killed off enough fancy headphones to be suspicious of long wires. If it works as quickly as Ive seen, it would just take a few seconds to have a ready nail that could then be used a few feet from where it was "charged".

I thought I would add a volt/amp screen in the middle and see how much power it takes to make the magic happen with different nails before getting ambitious enough to consider battery powered.

PuffDaMagicDragon,

gabetrav

I used a Geekcreit® 5V -12V ZVS, a 12v 10amp power supply, and a "TI" nail to do just this, and the results were pretty underwelming. To answer your first question, yes the ZVS is powerful enough to heat a nail to dabbing temp. However the unit and coil ended up getting so hot that it melted the solder on the ZVS. What does this mean? Basically the coil has to stay pretty far way from the nail because the nail get so hot. This is a problem when the supplied coil is already too small (I re-wound mine larger so it has about 1/4 inch on all sides and it still melted)... I really want to attempt this project again so let me know if you decide to take it on! Hope this helps!

Hiya Gabetrav!

Thanks for your insights! I'm still in love with this idea but for each question I research I come back with two more questions... in addition to some financial constraints, this project sadly hasn't advanced yet for me.

I do have some questions based on your experiences though...

What size nail did you use? Domed or domeless nail? How long was it taking you to get the nail to dabbable temps?

From the working units I have observed, they all seem to have glass as an insulator between the coil and the "dab surface" ex: Switch, LOTO, various dynavap IH's, ect.. which caused me to think about wrapping the coil around a spare dome so there wouldnt be any chance of accidentally touching the two. I'am planning on using a 14mm domed nail as its smaller than the domless versions so I expect it would be less strenuous to get it to do what we want.

The other idea is to use a regular quartz enail banger and drop a switch Ti cup into it like an insert, with the coil wrapped around the banger to heat the cup; the same style as an enail only the banger isnt being directly heated and the dab would go straight into the cup so it wouldn't behave like an insert ...unless you cold loaded.

I think the size of your coil might have drawn too many angry pixies through the board, but I'm just oblivious to most the science parts of this. Once I have some parts infront of me I'll have alot of interesting fails to get through before some celebratory dabs take place, but we'll get there!

PuffDaMagicDragon,
Have managed to collect the glass parts in hand! Small 7" bubbler with male fitting for nails, two different 14mm Ti nails and a few different styled straight domes!

Have the cart in progress for the electronics, going to try the standard 12v grekit that seems popular, but also getting a 20A 1000W ZVS module that's probably more suitable for the effects I'm looking for. I've got a fair supply of powerful 6s (24v) batts so I've added some inline fuse holders and some resetable 15a fuses to help keep things from being too exciting on the mos relays if we need to go 24v to get things to target in a reasonable time.

Also added a temp gun and a 100A multifunction power meter. The plan is to try different sized coils from different guages of copper and see not only what temps they can get, but also what times and at what cost electrically. Should be fun to dial it in!!

Will update again when BG delivers!!

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@PuffDaMagicDragon Maybe you could try lower mass ti-nails for faster heatup or less power draw. Those are called twisted ti-nails
iu

@Abysmal Vapor Genius!

At 25$USD its a better option than trying one of the switch cups in a regular banger as an insert, which was my next option if this failed. I didnt even know this was a thing, lol! Thanks for sharing!

PuffDaMagicDragon,
Top Bottom