I quit smoking today.

MileHigh

I started getting into vapes because my tolerance got so fkn high that it was no longer economical for me to combust, health reasons were not a factor. I was not thinking about quitting smoking either bud or cigarettes. But a few days ago I started noticing that climbing a staircase made me a little winded. That realization plus information and experiences I have read on this board, that I coincidentally just found, has inspired me to give up tobacco cold turkey and combusting herb with the help of my new electronic friends. I'll try to document the coming days in this thread if I have anything interesting to say.

MileHigh,

lwien

Good luck to ya MileHigh. I quit a 3 pack a day habit cold turkey decades ago. It's said that nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the planet but if there is anything that you can do to improve your health, quitting tobacco consumption is the best thing you can do for yourself. You got my support.

lwien,

lwien

MileHigh, the following may help you. It sure as hell helped me.

When you quit, know this. The tobacco urges comes in waves. It's not a constant thing. So.......all you have to do is ride that wave..........one wave at a time. And each time that you ride that wave, the next one will be shorter and the time between those waves get longer.

That's the thing with quitting. The urge, that wave, comes on really strong, and you think you can't do it because it's gonna last too long. Just know that it's a temporary wave, and all you need to do is ride it out, and know that your reward will be that the next wave will be shorter............

Within a few weeks, the worst will be over, but also know this. All it will take will be one cigarette and you will be back to square one.

Make it a game, man. Ride them waves, MileHigh..............ride them waves.

lwien,
"Old urges may continue to arise,perhaps for years. Remember, urges dont count, actions do. Persist as a warrior" Dan Millman, The Way Of The Peaceful Warrior.Apologies if that aint verbatim. Congratulations MileHigh! Fuck tobacco! Let the healing vapors do their thing with all the extra oxygen in your system you'll be 2MilesHigh in no time! Oh yeah, the 4 D's : Delay the urge, Do something else, Drink water, Deep breathe(you'll be able to now!) A big wave of support from the great southern land should be hittin you any second now! Peace fuckers. Just thought of another D...DONT FUCKING SMOKE!

thevapedcrusader,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Congratulations on your decision and I wish you luck!! Lwein's advice is good, I found the urges are gone in 5 minutes so I'd just find something to take my mind off of it.

I'm at almost 6 months off cigs using the electronic thingy-do's.... I feel GREAT!! I hope you'll feel GREAT soon too!!!!

Holler at us if you need some support :D

Lo,

lwien

lo said:
I found the urges are gone in 5 minutes so I'd just find something to take my mind off of it.
Yup. The urges come in small spurts of time, and each time you win one, the next one takes a bit longer to get to you.

So consider getting through each spurt of time, or successfully riding each wave.........a win, a success. And your prize for that win is that the next urge or wave, if you will, won't come at you as quick. Before you know it, it will be hours between those urges which is great feedback telling you that you are winning this game.

lwien,

Purple-Days

Best of luck, but cold turkey is tough. I did it for several years that way went back and the second time came down with a Nicotine patch, Much easier.

Interesting comments on urges being waves. I think that makes a lot of sense.

While I think e-cigs are better than smoke... are you in a stopping (nicotine) mode or maintenance mode? Just curious, not accusatory. :peace:

Purple-Days,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
lwien said:

When you quit, know this. The tobacco urges comes in waves. It's not a constant thing. So.......all you have to do is ride that wave..........one wave at a time. And each time that you ride that wave, the next one will be shorter and the time between those waves get longer.

That's the thing with quitting. The urge, that wave, comes on really strong, and you think you can't do it because it's gonna last too long. Just know that it's a temporary wave, and all you need to do is ride it out, and know that your reward will be that the next wave will be shorter............

Within a few weeks, the worst will be over, but also know this. All it will take will be one cigarette and you will be back to square one.

Knowing the process and stages to does help greatly in my opinion, then you realise there is nothing to be frightened from stopping smoking. You realise you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I also imagined a little nicotine monster inside me that each time I felt a craving meant that it was calling for food, and each time i denied it meant i was killing it. (Idea taken from Alan Carr Easyway2stopsmoking http://www.easyway2stopsmoking.co.uk)

Happycamper,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien said:

That is great advice. I'm due to quit smoking also. I have a lot to say about this but now is not the time - I'm a few hours late for work. But I DID quit smoking some years ago and did not smoke for seven years. Will explain what happened that led me to start again later. What Lwien is saying is totally correct about waves. I know you can't kill it - you can only put it to sleep.
When I quit i was in college and my roommate smoked my brand, winston - and I managed to maintain my intention even with it in front of my face.
exercising and sports helped me alot - that was the key as i remember. quitting not for an abstract concept of improved health later on, but for the immediate effect of better wind and performance.
I gotta go - I'm late because of this "pink champagne" which is fantastic material - vaping til 5am with my neighbors down the hall and their friends... fun night.
at 4am we walked down the block to the grocery store for ice cream. had a frozen snickers bar or something like that. highly recommended.
really fun trip to the grocery store.... ok later....

jeffp,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Good luck , I intend on doing the same soon myself , I look forward to watching your journey

Samsquanch,

MileHigh

Thank you so much for your support. I believe that advice will help me quite a bit lwien as I am a very impatient person. The first thing I've noticed is that it is very difficult to drag my ass out of bed without the motivation of having that first cigarette, and meals aren't as satisfying without a cig afterward. I have to say though I'm not exactly climbing the walls yet so we'll wait and see what happens with the first true nic fit.

MileHigh,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Keep up the good work there Mile!! Honestly the nic part of the withdrawl is over very soon... The rest is all in our heads... If you can overcome the first couple weeks you'll gain strength from that.

In using the e-cigs I started with the higher dose nic and now I'm diluting that stuff down to a whisp of nic... I hope soon to be smoke and nic free too.

I'm sure those vapes will help!!

Lo,

lwien

MileHigh said:
Thank you so much for your support. I believe that advice will help me quite a bit lwien as I am a very impatient person. The first thing I've noticed is that it is very difficult to drag my ass out of bed without the motivation of having that first cigarette, and meals aren't as satisfying without a cig afterward. I have to say though I'm not exactly climbing the walls yet so we'll wait and see what happens with the first true nic fit.
Ride them waves, MileHigh. Ride 'em one at a time. Successfully ride one, and your reward will be that the next one will be shorter and the time between them will be longer. Don't take it too seriously. Play it as a game.

Before you know it, two weeks will have passed, and you'll be over the hump, but you can never let your guard down. You brain will mind-fuck you with a little voice sayin', "Acchhhh, one cig won't hurt. You can afford it. You haven't had one in two weeks. No problem." DO NOT FUCKING LISTEN TO IT. Just shake your head and yell at the top of your lungs, "FUCK YOU". Of course, if you do this out in public, people will think you have Tourettes or something. Either that, or 10 people will turn around and say, "You talkin' to me?" :lol:

lwien,

wthanna

I too will be cig. free soon. I am quitting with a few friends cold turkey. No cigs in 2010.. I've quit for almost 10 years before... and as mentioned above.. it was the "I'll just have one" mentality that made me a smoker again. AVOID THE "ONE". It's the one that gets you. Substitute that urge with some vapor!

wthanna,
Top Bottom