I gotta ask any American who watches politics; super committee ??'s

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I try to follow US politics (3-4 US news channels, several websites, RSS feeds and 2 newsmagazines) and I've been aware of the super committee since the idea was first floated publicly. I knew what it was empowered to do, even if subsequent legislative measures might try to oppose it and I'm also aware of the risks should it fail (now that it is within 6 hours of effectively failing due to tabling requirements(?? heard this, not sure what it means). I never thought that it would fail. This just reminds me of the annual consular elections in Republican Rome and the eternal political conflict to the detriment of the Republic.

Can anyone explain to me why the Republicans wouldn't bend? Why the Democrats won't bend? Even ignoring another credit downgrade, the cost of short term borrowing is going to increase. I just locked in my mortgage for 5 years because I was worried about this crap.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it boils down to this;

-paying down the deficit
-cutting government spending (whether size of the federal government, programs or entitlements)
-raising taxes
-lowering taxes

And yes, I'm including raising and lowering taxes.

Anyone?

thanks

Tom

tdavie,
The last bit pretty much sums up my perspective as well. I however, am not a credible source by any means, nor do I know a lot about the super committee to begin with either. But your consensus about what would help our government is correct. I am curious as to how you feel about our candidates whom are running for the 2012 elections? As said before, I am more a peon and follow only what I can influence so this race holds a particular interest to me. I am a big Ron Paul fan and hits on a lot of issues your speaking of right now.

As YOU said, it reminds you of old Roman Courts; this reminds me of a hung Jury. Its as if they said "Congress doesn't work so lets minimize the scale of the model" and ended up with the super committee. Just like congress, at half & half everyone has different views so decisions are impossible.

biojuggernaut,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I heard it put best the other day - There is no 'bipartisan' anything in congress. No, the only thing 'bipartisan' in congress is corruption.

AGBeer,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
tdavie said:
Can anyone explain to me why the Republicans wouldn't bend? Why the Democrats won't bend? Even ignoring another credit downgrade, the cost of short term borrowing is going to increase. I just locked in my mortgage for 5 years because I was worried about this crap.

Well that's just not the case. President Obama and the Dems have been bending over backwards every step of the way, and the Republican's just maintain their obstructionism until the last moments of a critical bill's passing and then the Dem's give in to the Republicans and the Republicans get what they want. It's a nonstop filibuster. What I have said isn't bi-partisan it's just the facts but none the less facts offend.

And the super committee is the most unconstitutional load of garbage I have ever heard of. Cool, so the Republicans choose all their hardcore extremist to place on the committee, and the Dem,'s choose their most conservative Democrats. We needed to put Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders, Chuck Schumer and the like, not the same bastards that voted against their own party on big issues like the affordable health care act (Obama care for the less politically inclined.)

The worst part is people still vote for Republicans, people like you and me that share none of the same interest as them. That whole party has taken a pledge in the name of Grover Norquist, not this Country. When the fuck did Grover Norquist ever get elected, to anything? Yes politics is corrupt and filled with money, but the two sides could not be any different and it's a clear choice IMO. One party wants to move this country forward and hold wall street accountable, provide affordable health care, make the rich pay their fair share of taxes, invest in infrastructure, etc.. while the other can't allow anything good to happen to this country because the only strategy they have is making Obama fail, instead of making themselves strong. Why would anyone ever support a mentality like that?

aesthyrian,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Term limits for all politicians. (mainly talking Congress)

then things will get done.

unfortunately I don't know how the legislative branch would do this to themselves with their current fat and happy situation.

MarcellusWiley,
Top Bottom