How do I make Dry ice hash into qwiso

HorrorD77

Hey guys long time. I made some dry Ice hash last month and it came out great. Nice and terpy like the strain but wasn't full melt. Used mostly my 120 bag.
I also made a few batches of qwiso a few weeks ago from some fresh popcorn and trim.
The 1st batch of qwiso I had a full quart jar in freezer of fresh frozen popcorn and the iso was in freezer as well, both for at least a week. I filled jar to top with iso put jar back in freezer for 35 seconds, then took out of freezer and shook like crazy for 35 seconds then strained. It yielded some tan almost white full melt powder like a kief..it was strange, never saw qwiso like that.

Second jar I washed was mostly dry trim and popcorn and I let soak in freezer for 40 seconds and shook for 40 and I got this amazing potent snappy shatter from it.

Now my question is what is the optimal way to make qwiso from this dry ice hash so I can dab it? I will freeze the dih and iso of course but how long do I soak for? And then just strain through a coffee filter as usual?

Had to go upload the pics to photobucket..what a pain.

Here's the dry ice hash 3.4 gr

Here's the shatter before I pressed it.

And after..pure amber goodness. So good I just bought my first mini rig for it

Last edited by a moderator:

Nok21

Honestly, I'd press it, roll it into a snake and just dab it. Yeah, it wont fully melt but it shouldn't combust either. There will be residue on the nail, however. I've found doing this with dry concentrates to be very flavorful and effective, although it dirties up the nail a little. Clean it off with steel wool or an iso swab.

If you want to I'd: Dissolve in iso (Try 40-50ml, you want more than just enough to cover it). You want it to fully dissolve. I wouldn't bother freezing if you use extra iso either. So throw it into a fair amount of iso, let it dissolve for 30 seconds to 5 minutes, and filter using 2 bleached coffee filters that you PRESOAK with iso. This pre-soaking of the filters prevents any loss of your QWISO solution- Wet the filters with iso, squeeze out excess iso, and then pop em' in place.

I haven't done this, but this is how I'd purify the concentrate. Since some non-soluble material is in the concentrate, I'm relatively certain that you wont need to do a quick-wash- you want a full dissolve for 5 minutes in a little more iso than usual to cover it. If your filters have excess material in them, scrape it off and do another wash and replace the filters.

That should get the extra crap out and make it closer to an oil. Hope this was helpful mate!

-Nok

herbivore21

The dry ice hash looks quite decent! :D

As a resident QWISO veteran - I suggest you not use iso and instead use rosin tek. You should not be using solvents here. You are not dewaxing your material in processing and as such, solvents are redundant.

Get a 1g puck of that dry ice hash, stuff it into a musclin cloth bag as tightly as possible, put the musclin hash bag into a piece of parchment and squish it in a hair straightener at 200f or so with as much weight as you can put on it. You will end up with beautiful, solventless contaminant free sap/shatter (depending on your material). Check out the rosin tek thread for more info in the concentrates section.

Try it, dab it and marvel at the flavor retained by avoiding the use of polar solvents and crude purge technique :)

herbivore21

Apologies for the double post, but here's what you can achieve squishing dry ice sift :D

gIfG0Lf.jpg

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
I'm with my brother herb regarding using the DIH to press into Rosin .

I would also consider trying to physically "clean up " the sift... Looking at the pic, it looked like a very nice color, so in theory it should have copious amounts of resin heads in there.

However, you will need some dry sift screens to do so.

Or you could copy my very simple DIY, using a **Cheap** set of bubble bags.

I got a 5 bag set on Amazon for like 20$...
I then cut out the mesh, and threw the cheap ass bags away.

Go to your local dollar store, and buy 5 of those cookies that come in the tin cans, use a regular can opener to remove the bottom, and some of those black binder clips.

The tin

Pull the mesh taut and secure the clips

Then, using a brush or the carding technique, Glands fall through the mesh the larger the micron, and if ya use a 73 bag, the glands will stay atop the mesh while contaminants are pushed through.

You can also replicate this using a 5 gallon bucket and its matching lid.

Just cut off the majority of the bottom of the bucket, maybe leave 5-6" so you can have space underneath.

Then cut out a hole in the lid following the perimeter where the lid snaps on to the bucket.

Then you could simply snap the lid on whilst pulling the mesh taut.

The tin can thing... I made this a long time ago, and I envision some pretty innovative means of mechanical separation of Glandular heads.

@herbivore21 .. Envision those tins(but obviously a more detailed configuration using water tight material) and pouring your bubble hash solution through them.

@HorrorD77 .. You did a great job on both the DIH and the Qwiso...
If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it Brotha. :tup:

The one thing I would suggest is if you do more Qwiso runs, find yourself a very fine mesh stainless steel strainer... This will catch the majority of the solid material, so it is not sitting in your final coffee filters as they are draining.

I would start with a 45-60 second first wash using a very gentle swirling motion, then put that wash in a separate dish (this will be your A grade)

Then, re-wash the material increasing contact time and agitation in increments.

But, seriously, I think you will be very very surprised if you simply use the Rosin tech as suggested by @herbivore21 ...

I would also imagine that the DIH *Should** be pretty damn awesome straight out of your favorite Vape.

Last edited:

herbivore21

I'm with my brother herb regarding using the DIH to press into Rosin .

I would also consider trying to physically "clean up " the sift... Looking at the pic, it looked like a very nice color, so in theory it should have copious amounts of resin heads in there.

However, you will need some dry sift screens to do so.

Or you could copy my very simple DIY, using a **Cheap** set of bubble bags.

I got a 5 bag set on Amazon for like 20$...
I then cut out the mesh, and threw the cheap ass bags away.

Go to your local dollar store, and buy 5 of those cookies that come in the tin cans, use a regular can opener to remove the bottom, and some of those black binder clips.

The tin

Pull the mesh taut and secure the clips

Then, using a brush or the carding technique, Glands fall through the mesh the larger the micron, and if ya use a 73 bag, the glands will stay atop the mesh while contaminants are pushed through.

You can also replicate this using a 5 gallon bucket and its matching lid.

Just cut off the majority of the bottom of the bucket, maybe leave 5-6" so you can have space underneath.

Then cut out a hole in the lid following the perimeter where the lid snaps on to the bucket.

Then you could simply snap the lid on whilst pulling the mesh taut.

The tin can thing... I made this a long time ago, and I envision some pretty innovative means of mechanical separation of Glandular heads.

@herbivore21 .. Envision those tins(but obviously a more detailed configuration using water tight material) and pouring your bubble hash solution through them.

@HorrorD77 .. You did a great job on both the DIH and the Qwiso...
If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it Brotha. :tup:

The one thing I would suggest is if you do more Qwiso runs, find yourself a very fine mesh stainless steel strainer... This will catch the majority of the solid material, so it is not sitting in your final coffee filters as they are draining.

I would start with a 45-60 second first wash using a very gentle swirling motion, then put that wash in a separate dish (this will be your A grade)

Then, re-wash the material increasing contact time and agitation in increments.

But, seriously, I think you will be very very surprised if you simply use the Rosin tech as suggested by @herbivore21 ...

I would also imagine that the DIH *Should** be pretty damn awesome straight out of your favorite Vape.
That DIY tek looks great brother, I might get some cheap bubble bags to do this with too, I'd love to be able to tidy up my sifts and water hashes without rosinating them! I really want to get some 6 star melt happening as well as rosin, as this is one kind of extract I have not yet tried :D

Also yes, that sort of thing for a bubble setup looks ideal to me, I wonder if we might use multiple bottomless buckets (a bag per bucket over the outside/bottom of the bucket) to achieve that sort of a setup? This could be great!

To the OP, I agree with @Hashtag46&2 (as I so often do lol) that if you have the means and time, try cleaning up the sift to 99%. It'll take a lot longer, but it will be wonderful material!

Squashing your material (rosin tek) will give you a very quick idea of the amazing flavor you can have sticking with no solvents to turn your DIH into full melt. However, tidying it up to 99% sift will be nicer still potentially.

Happy extracting my friends!

Top Bottom