High intensity interval training

Keeping in line with all of our granola-minded posts..

Background: I'm in reasonable shape, exercise with weights regularly and go on 3 or 4 walks a week of no less than 3 miles.

Well, I just tried H.I.I.T training, which focuses around 20 minute aerobic exercises with alternating periods of sprinting and relative rest. You could apply it to sprints, biking, swimming or anything. I've only been doing it for a few days now, but I am very impressed with the way I feel after so little time.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

charliedontsurf,

hereatlast

Interesting. In my (high-school) cross-country/track days we used to do 'Fartlek' runs which employ a similar principal it seems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek). That said, we used to do them in a very structured manner.

More recently I was recommended the 'couch-to-5k' running plan to ease my way back into running after a few years off (ride a bicycle frequently now but not quite the same for me). In any case, this seems to be a much softer implementation of the H.I.I.T. training. Either way, enjoying this type of regimen as well, not really what I grew up on but an interesting change.

hereatlast,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Did this over summer and made amazing fat loss achievements. I am not overweight to begin with, but I got very cut. I highly recommend interval training vs. normal 40 minute low intensity cardio sessions. This keeps you burning fat throughout the day and is the best method possible IMO. You can't go wrong!

Elluzion,
Elluzion, what method were you using? I mean like the Tabata method or something else? Did you try alot of them and arrive at your favorite? What were you applying the concept to besides sprinting? I tried it 20second/20second intervals with squats for 8 minutes two days ago and am still on fire.

charliedontsurf,

budballer

i used to do this as a cross country and track runner, it always yielded the best results over any other type of practice i would do. It's better for your body because its not the elongated constan strain of running or other cardio workouts for extended periods. But it works you harder and strengthens your cardio more. Just like weight training too much is bad. Limiting yourself to short but intense workouts, especially repeatedly, yields amazing results that help break through physical and mental plateaus. This is all from my personal experience, and what i've learned from my years of working out/reading.

budballer,

Plotinus

interesting. i'm about to head out the door to the gym myself, for my boring ass 1 hour standard workout. care to share your specific routines with me to give me some ideas?

Plotinus,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Wikipedia has an article about "high intensity training" that might stimulate further research.

i recently added the "Plank" to my daily routine. The new world record stands a bit above 33 minutes ... whoa! i think i'm doing all of 90 seconds. But the current record holder is 68 and i'm only 63, so maybe i'll get better with a little more practice (after the rapture, of course).

Hippie Dickie,

budballer

I've gone the complete opposite direction of running this year and have been doing heavy weight lifting. Tired of being a skinny kid, im 19 by the way. I can't say heavy weight training is good for you. But i know that any cardio workout should stay under 45 mins and i try to keep my weighted workouts to an hour. Otherwise it become counterproductive as metabolic hormones begin to rise such as cortisol. Although special cases like marathon runners would most deffinately disagree with me.

budballer,

greystr0ke

Before I tore my meniscus in my right knee, I was doing HIIT on the treadmill and the stairmaster 3-4 times a week. I'm trying to ind the schedule I was following while I was running but can't seem to find it now. It definitely made cardio workouts go by quicker. Now, when I run a 5k I get so bored.

*ETA*

Found it.

http://www.emilyalvers.com/running_hiit.html

greystr0ke,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
The program I used:

[*the 4/10 and 9/10 represent intensity on a 1-10 scale]

6-8 sets
30 seconds hard(9/10), 1:30 moderate(4/10)

9-11 sets
30 seconds hard(9/10), 1:00 moderate(4/10)

12-14 sets
30 seconds hard(9/10), 30 seconds moderate(4/10)

as you can see, you keep the same "hard" numbers, but lower your "resting" times. Do this every other day and work up to the 12-14. I usually do two of each set (like instead of going 6, 7, 8 every other day, i would go 6 (then skip a day), 6 (then skip a day), then 7. So I would allow my body to work up to it easier. You don't have to do this that is just what I did.

This will make you VERY tired, let me just say in advanced. If you do not have prior cardio shape you will not enjoy this at all. I suggest working out cardio 40mins/day for a week or two and then starting this (unless you are already in good cardiovascular shape). Again, you don't HAVE to, but I recommend it from experience.

ALSO the exercise can be anything that full pushes your body, most people do SPRINTS (and then jog for the moderate part), i'll do KNEE HIGHS (and then jog for the moderate part), you can do SQUAT JUMPS, just make sure you give it your all! that is what matters most. Don't slack on the 9/10 intensity stuff. Play some good music and FOCUS.

Let me know how it goes if anyone tries it! My favorite HIIT is doing knee highs in the pool (but in the deep end so your legs don't touch the ground and can have full range to pick and move) and so I move my arms and legs back and forth and then do laps for my moderate part. It is the BEST, i highly recommend it this way, + you stay cool and its more fun than sprinting.

Elluzion,

jumpoff_the_planet

Elluzion,

Would you mind going into more detail about the knee highs and swimming??

I am recovering from a back injury to my erector spinae and have been swimming 1/4 mile to a 1/2 mile 3-5 times a week, Im getting to the point where im barely tired after a half mile.

Id like to do this HIIT in the pool but ive just been getting into working out(in order to strengthen my core and alleviate pain in my back) and I dont know a lot of exercises.....I can grasp the idea of what a knee high would be through logic but im still not sure of the correct way to do it.

Would I be able to just swim for 30 seconds hard and then 1:30 moderate or would I risk injury to my back?

And I cannot run or sprint or anything that definitely hurts my back
:peace:

jumpoff_the_planet,
Top Bottom