help picking my first vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

petro438

Hey guys,

I've been smoking for about 2 years now and I'm currently in college. I've smoked out of a vape a few times here and I really liked it, so I was looking to invest in my first one with a couple buddies back home. When I've smoked out of a vape I got the highest I've ever been for the least amount of bud, so it seems like a no brainer.

I did a little research and came across the Vapir 5.0. It seemed like a decent jumping off point for only $150 bucks splitting it a few ways with my friends. But I've read some reviews and it doesn't seem like the best sub-$200 vape. That's probably the most I'm willing to spend. I originally liked it because it is rechargable so you can smoke it wherever and not need a plug.

What would you guys recommend for a first time buyer? As I said $200 is probably my limit, I've seen good things on this site about DaBuddha, Purple Days, and the VapirGenie (which would be nice because it's only $50). I see good and bad things about both but just want to know what you guys think between the four.

Thanks a lot, I've gotten a lot of great info from this site.

petro438,

pinoy

PACQUIAO!!!
Go with a vaporgenie. That way you could each get your own. And when you figure it out, its a very good cloudmaker.

pinoy,
Spend 20 seconds look at any Vapir related post on this forum and you'll see the uproar of disgust and dissatisfaction with their products. I personally owned a Voodoo vaporizer, a Vapir product similar to yours sold under a different name, since too many people had obviously heard "Vapir sucks." It was a total POS and was garbage even before it broke - leaked vapor, tasted like crap, low build quality, loud. I still thank Gypsy Trader in Berkeley for their honoring my purchase.

Do not buy any Vapir products - some people have had success with the NO2 but that's your call.

Consider the DBV, it is a very good product for its expense, 15 dollars buys you a adapter for vape bonging.

The Herbalaire is a steal at 170 or whatever it is on Ebay. Incredible efficiency, with the ability to direct inhale, bag, or whip.

You can find Extreme Qs for under 200 perhaps even with official warranties - bag or whip or vapebong away with that.

Consider the glass vapobowl if you have 18.8 mm glass pieces currently. 30ish bucks and you've got big, high quality vapor hits.

If stealth is a concern, and tolerance not too big an issue, the Magic Flight Launch Box is a great, discrete vaporizer for under 100.

Any of these, after being thrown out of a third story window, would probably make a better vaporizer than Vapir 5.0 out of the box.
Hope that was helpful.

charliedontsurf,

petro438

Thanks a lot for the input Charlie.

AFter looking into it a little more, I really like the Magic Flight but I've seen some concerns about the batteries and the time it takes to recharge them. If I'm smoking with 2-4 friends, will it be a problem with charging the batteries and them not lasting long?

petro438,

GreenLeaf

Get a magic flight launch box, it's portable, powerful, and works great alone and with multiple people.

IME no there's not an issue with charging batteries and vaping with multiple people with the MFLB, you can always order the power adapter and keep batteries on hand too.

GreenLeaf,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
petro, if you are going to be using the MFLB with friends, your best bet would be to get the power adaptor with it. It will give you and your friends the most consistent hits and still be under the $200 mark. I can see where the portability of this vape would appeal to you, but IMO, although a great little vape, it wouldn't be my first choice to buy to use with a group. I would think you and your friends might be happier with something like the DBV or a vapor brothers whip style vape for sharing. If variable temp is not a concern, even the Hot Box is a decent vape (although it doesn't get much love around here because it isn't varialbe temp) that can be purchased for $119 if you get one of the B stock. That would leave you with enough money left over to get a VG for portable use. Just my :2c:

momofthegoons,
I second the MFLB+adaptor route, or maybe DBV+vaporgenie.

Both vaporgenie and MFLB have considerable learning curves. One thing that is little discussed with these two (and some other vapes, including vapobowl) is that their learning curves renders the dim or disinterested incapable of properly using them. No one can use them without a 5-30 second spiel - real fun to explain to a stranger at a loud concert, for instance. PA is supposed to turn the MFLB into a cloud producing beast, and not having used it, I assume you can crank it up (or down) to compensate for people who might not have the technique down. I saw a PA and it looked very quality, hardware wise.

I would not waste money on a box style vape of any type. Look at the DBV/SSV if you want a whip vape. DBV can be had for 170 w warranty (I think) and Extreme Q for 200 w warranty (estimate again). These whip vapes hit harder and are of higher quality than box vapes, and their airpath is 100% clean - you can see the hole on the heater cover, it's right there, not drawn through the mystery box with circuitry and solder. I wasn't aware the hotbox wasn't adjustable, that's kind of a joke at its price point. My little crusade against the boxes :lol: will end with this. Box style vapes are either A: made in China jokes with numerous design and health faults, or B: overpriced American produced boxes which make the design far better and safe, but it's simply not that great a design. The DBV is a huge step up for like 20 more than a hotbox, if I remember right.

charliedontsurf,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Don't get me wrong; I'm not shilling the Hot Box. :lol: It was the first vape I owned/used and has served me well. It has a couple of good things going for it, one being that the wand goes in horizontally instead of at an angle so no herb falls into the vape. It's American made, reliable and fairly inexpensive. Replacement parts are easy and cheap to get. But that's it. There are no bells and whistles. A DBV is a definite step up with variable temp, but it will be around $60 more, which would buy that VG. It's all a matter of what's important to the person buying and what they can afford..

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
charliedontsurf said:
I second the MFLB+adaptor route, or maybe DBV+vaporgenie.

Both vaporgenie and MFLB have considerable learning curves. One thing that is little discussed with these two (and some other vapes, including vapobowl) is that their learning curves renders the dim or disinterested incapable of properly using them. No one can use them without a 5-30 second spiel - real fun to explain to a stranger at a loud concert, for instance. PA is supposed to turn the MFLB into a cloud producing beast, and not having used it, I assume you can crank it up (or down) to compensate for people who might not have the technique down. I saw a PA and it looked very quality, hardware wise.

I would not waste money on a box style vape of any type. Look at the DBV/SSV if you want a whip vape. DBV can be had for 170 w warranty (I think) and Extreme Q for 200 w warranty (estimate again). These whip vapes hit harder and are of higher quality than box vapes, and their airpath is 100% clean - you can see the hole on the heater cover, it's right there, not drawn through the mystery box with circuitry and solder. I wasn't aware the hotbox wasn't adjustable, that's kind of a joke at its price point. My little crusade against the boxes :lol: will end with this. Box style vapes are either A: made in China jokes with numerous design and health faults, or B: overpriced American produced boxes which make the design far better and safe, but it's simply not that great a design. The DBV is a huge step up for like 20 more than a hotbox, if I remember right.

I pretty much agree with all of the suggestions but disagree about the "box vape" being something to avoid. The vapor brothers is a fantastic box vaporizer with very little learning curve involved and an excellent warranty. Also given a choice between a hot box and a vapor brothers, the reason I would veer away from the hot box is due to reports i've read on some units that the heater is inconsistent. da buddha is probably your best choice overall.

jeffp,

Nycdeisel

Since everyone is saying DBV/SSV since it will be used in groups, then consider the LSV(life Saber) as well. Its made by 7th Floor with most of the same internals as their other models, but it doesnt have a whip so it can be easier passed around via the 10 foot electrical cord rather then a 3 or so foot whip). it has an all glass vapor path so it has a much better taste then any whip type vape, also making it easier to clean.

Nycdeisel,

Third Eye View

Nycdeisel said:
Since everyone is saying DBV/SSV since it will be used in groups, then consider the LSV(life Saber) as well. Its made by 7th Floor with most of the same internals as their other models, but it doesnt have a whip so it can be easier passed around via the 10 foot electrical cord rather then a 3 or so foot whip). it has an all glass vapor path so it has a much better taste then any whip type vape, also making it easier to clean.

I have owned a DBV, and currently own an LSV. Let me just say it is MUCH more convenient to use. Comes with a water pipe adapter, which eliminates the hassle of whips/tubing. It is basically a PD and a V-Rip Tech Wand in one. Such a versatile, easy to use, POTENT vaporizer. Some nights I will vape 2 PD stems worth (.05), and I will wake up in a complete DAZE from the night of vaping. So quick to heat up, very easy to use with a group. Just pass the water pipe around with the LSV, stirring between each hit. I wouldn't pick a PD/MZ if you have friends over, just takes too long to get where you want to be. The LSV/DBV/SSV are basically hit the same, but the LSV is much easier to handle and pass around, and obviously more portable, as 7th Floor intended. If you have the money to buy a SSV, just get the LSV. You won't regret it.

Third Eye View,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
Get a supreme vaporizer! you will not be disappointed youtube videos of this thing and just check out the clouds and it is portable just needs a torch flame or an oven top. I own an ExQ and a zap and have used a SSV and this thing can pump out the fattest clouds and can milk any glass you already have! i own a MFLB my dad has an iolite and vapman so I have definitely used many vapes avidly and the supreme blows them all away! the external heat sink is a con to many but once you get used to it then it poses little issue.. you can also put a sock over it at max temps and it will not burn you or the sock if you are really that worried about it but its a non issue for me. anyways you can snag one off ebay from the manufacturer for 188.50 shipped you and any friend that combusts who use it will become a convert and it is imo the closest vaping experience to smoking..

Goodlife101,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom