HE Nail 'fin' stuck?

lreindl

Pacific NW
Hey all,

So I've neglected cleaning my nail and the fin is stuck. I've tried torching and I've tried soaking in ISO, both haven't worked so far. What can I do to get the fin to move again?

Also, how do you guys clean your nail?

lreindl,
I'd be pretty amazed if your fins remained stuck after significant heating, I'd imagine that would be a problem other than mere claim. Are the treads crossed or something? My nail cleaning is such: The trace amounts of reclaim just get torched with regular usage, there is no cleaning really. What does require a bit of occasional elbow grease is removing the oxidation. For that I use a green scouring pad and a little weak acid (vinegar). A few minutes of buffing and it will shine again.

mrboote,

lreindl

Pacific NW
Yeah, turned out some significant torching to the center definitely discolored it, but once it cooled and I applied a little force it was free. I still think I want to go domeless though. Is that DualiTi of yours still available?

lreindl,
Hmm, I never recall wanting to sell mine. I think I posted words of encouragement in another person's classified. Yeah, that one is sold. [thread].
I really like my domeless, but I still use the domed one on the regs. Remember domeless is almost useless outdoors, it's larger so it takes longer to heat too.

If the discoloration on your ti is annoying you, barkeeper's friend is a stronger acid than vinegar, it should restore the shine.

mrboote,

lreindl

Pacific NW
Haha, oops. It was a stony morning. :p

I have some barkeeper's friend, what do I do with it? It's in the powder form; should I make a water solution just like PBW? And soak?

lreindl,
No need for a soak, make a paste with a little water and scrub it with an abrasive pad. I use ISO after something like that to get all the polish off.

mrboote,
Reactions: lreindl
Another possibility could be yanking out the nail while it is still hot. A piece of parchment paper and something to shield the heat (like a towel or glove) helps. I've done it many times.

purplek,
Top Bottom