First E-Nail

cptchronic

So I was wondering what kind of E-Nail I should look into getting. I'm aware of some of the differences in components for the various brands but what I am not sure of is actual performance comparisons.

Do the more expensive American produced brands have substantial benefits in terms of flavor and vapor quality? Or can the same be achieved with Chinese units? I don't mind paying extra if the quality and service is substantially better.

And also I'm a little confused on what nail I should use. Not so much the sizing but the materials. I ultimately just want the best quality.

Thanks FC

cptchronic

What do you like about Errlectric specifically? The only thing that turns me off is the inability to switch nails or remove the coil.

Do you or does anyone else have comparisons of an Errlectric FQB compared to something like the D-Nail SiC?

cptchronic,

jesuswillis

What do you like about Errlectric specifically? The only thing that turns me off is the inability to switch nails or remove the coil.

Do you or does anyone else have comparisons of an Errlectric FQB compared to something like the D-Nail SiC?
I cannot compare my errlectric to anything else as this was my first enail. If you are used to using a torch you will notice the difference straight away as each hit will be exactly where you want it temp wise and your material will go further, you may actually use more because of convenience and playing round with temp ranges.

The unit itself is very easy to use and can be picked up in a matter of seconds. It heats up very quickly and I have no problem leaving it on for a heavy session, it comes with a timer so if your just in for one quick dab you can set it to auto turn of between 1-420 mins. Ti it comes with is of very high quality although I find the dish to be a bit small.

I am also slightly disappointed you cannot remove the coil from the nail(you can but it voids the coil warranty) but still happy with the purchase. I have made another post asking if anyone has had success removing the coil,if anyone has tried an aftermaket coil and if the coil plug is proprietary, no answer yet its looking like I might have to be the guinea pig so I may wait until I can afford the full quartz unit before I attack the TI one. Errlectric rep said that they do not make coils separate due to safety and performance issues and said they may do in the future if they can get performance and safety down(Im not holding my breath) It does seem like they are pushing a few customers away and limiting themselves buy not having removable coil options.

TLDR unit is great, nail is great if not a bit small dabbing surface, yes I am slightly disappointed coil isn't removable but I am still very pleased with the package it works very well and is safe.

Baron23

I don't want to criticize anyone's preference in enail controllers but I just went though this.

I looked at the American made like D-nail and Errlectric and wondered why they were so much more expensive than pretty much all others. Then I got into an education on what goes into an enail controller (and it ain't much) and concluded NO...you are just paying a shit load of money for the name.

All that is in a good enail controller is a combination control module/display, hopefully an external solid state relay (SSR), and power input and coil output plugs. Pretty much it.

I don't think ANY of these companies who sell enails are having their own control module built...they aren't actually contracting for custom silicon or anything. They use commonly available industrial temperature control assemblies such as Omron and others. They may tweek the firmware, and certainly the configuration settings, but they are buying what constitutes 90% of the controller function.

If you want American, and I understand wanting to be able to reach and communicate with customer support, then look at the Auber RDK-300 or RDK-200. Assembled in Georgia and Auber Instruments makes a whole hell of a lot more than enails. They are an instrumentation company and actually document their controller with inclusive and fairly complete manuals in readable English (wow, what a shocker that is). They even document the pin assignments on their coil output (and they use the commonly used D-nail pin outs of 1 & 2 = AC power, 3 & 4 are thermocouple +/-, and 5 is ground).

Their best controller goes for $135 plus another $55 if you want a coil. So, $190 with free shipping (I think) gets you everything but your nail or banger (and personally, while not the most experienced guy on this board by a long shot, but I love my CCA 710 Liger Banger 2.0)

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=484

http://www.cca710.com/liger/

Gimido is Chinese and their Best Dabs unit uses an Omron E5CC and hopefully uses the right version that drives an external SSR. I have not heard of problems with Gimido. Warning: Their Best Dabs unit uses a mini-XLR connector for the coil which means you will be buying coils from them forever as I could not find any mini-XLRs from other sources.

http://www.e-nail.org/GIMIDO-Best-Dabs-Enail.html

The Gimido Nice Dabs unit, however, offers an option for full size, 5-pin XLR, and I believe that this is what you want as its the most common interface. Its $10 extra for 5 pin full size XLR

http://www.e-nail.org/Safe-Enail-Units/GIMIDO-Nice-Dabs-Enail.html

I also have a Greenlight Vapes G-9 which is another Chinese made unit. It sported an Omron E5CC-QX) (which is the right PID control assembly for use with an SSR). But there was no SSR in the box, its temperature stability sucked, they actually soldered wires to the Omron screw down terminals. A friend of mine basically had to pull it completely apart and rewire the box while adding an SSR. Its on its way back to me and I understand it works flawlessly now. But if you aren't into reading tech manuals and maybe doing a bit of soldering, this approach ain't for you.

NOW, I do know very experienced dabbers on this board who have G9's that were properly built and configured. They were just a bit more than I paid via Alibaba but the boxes were right as rain. I just don't trust a company that would put the same model number on two different boxes with one of them being woefully inadequate.

If you go with Greenlight...or are interested....this is the one to get. I paid $135 for the unit (without coil) via Alibaba. Another member paid around $185 or so and not sure of the source. As you can see, their best unit shown below. This looks exactly like the unit I received and exactly like the unit that others on this board received, but mine was basically completely hosed up. Note, this model does have the Omron E5CC which is a very good PID temp controller.

http://www.greenlightvapes.com/#!product-page/gba22/484f992c-b32c-cc98-1bc4-e3b5fc13fc14

Now, there is another source to mention. That is New Vape in Boyton Beach, FL. I love New Vape, I like the company, I like all of the products that I have purchased from them, I like the guy that owns it....very nice fellow. American company, a machine & tool company really who moved into vape products when the great recession hit their normal markets. Their metal stuff is superb. I know nothing about their electronics though, to include their enail offering.

I note that that don't offer much in the way of description of who makes their PID assembly or any performance figures (none of them really publish expected performance numbers). So, hard to tell. NOTE: however, New Vape only offers flat coil or 16mm coil models and they do NOT use the standard XLR connector so again you will be limited in sources for coils.

http://www.newvape.com/digital-enail-9089/

Lastly, I wanted a company I could communicate with. I sent a contact form email to Gimido with a few questions and never received an answer. I sent a contact form email to HighFive, which is an American company, and never received an answer. I will not again buy an enail from a company I cannot easily and reliably communicate with. This may not be a big factor to you but it is to me...particularly after the G9 fiasco.

If it were me, starting out from scratch and based on the sources I know about, I would buy the Auber RDK-300 again. But, different models, different features, different price points....all available as we are all different people.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

KimDracula

High Five is good.

Controllers are under $100 and are ready to use; no programming required, coils about $50, lots of options for nails there and elsewhere. I use a CCA Liger (definitely highly recommend!), many like the D-nail stuff.

There is apparently an issue with the weird pin assignment (I think we have Baron23 to thank for discovering that, too) that makes those coils different from most that follow the D-nail pattern so looks like you gotta buy their coils but at least they're not attached to nails.

I recommend SiC for sure. Much better than quartz IMO.

I was looking for a cheap option that didn't require me to order from China and this fit the bill nicely. The big names in the e-nail game right now are just charging waaay too much. It's good to see many sources offering much more affordable options.

Good luck and have fun with whatever toy you decide on.

Last edited:

Baron23

High Five is good.

Controller's are under $100 and are ready to use; no programming required, coils about $50, lots of options for nails there and elsewhere. I use a CCA Liger (definitely highly recommend!), many like the D-nail stuff.

There is apparently an issue with the weird pin assignment (I think we have Baron23 to thank for discovering that, too) that makes those coils different from most that follow the D-nail pattern so looks like you gotta buy their coils but at least they're not attached to nails.

I recommend SiC for sure. Much better than quartz IMO.

I was looking for a cheap option that didn't require me to order from China and this fit the bill nicely. The big names in the e-nail game right now are just charging waaay too much. It's good to see many sources offering much more affordable options.

Good luck and have fun with whatever toy you decide on.

Hi @KimDracula - I indeed looked at High Five and like it a lot. I like the separate power main and coil power switch and I like that their V1 and V2 LCD models have an Omron PID controller. But, in the owners manual it says:

ONLY USE HIGH5 COILS WITH HIGH5 ENAILS, many other
coils are wired differently and will not work with our units.
These are indeed 5 pin XLR connectors but HighFive doesn't tell you the pin assignments (Auber does).

I will only mention it one more time...I tried to contact them with a few questions via their website contact form. No reply. No reply. No reply to date yet. So, I went elsewhere.

I'm sure that this unit will work very well and if they will just tell us the pin assignments that would answer the question of whether you can use a commonly available XLR coil with pins: 1 & 2 = AC power, 3 & 4, thermocouple +/-, and 5 = ground. If not, then the only reason they did it was to box you in to buying their coils. If it is pinned out this way, then a lot of coils from cheaper hot runner to D-nail coils should work.

Kim....if you could get an answer to this question, I think that would be of value to FC members. Since you own one, perhaps they will respond to you.

cptchronic

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm now tempted to go the Auber route but I'm still on the fence.

Just to double check, D-Nail coils will work with the Auber?

cptchronic,

Baron23

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm now tempted to go the Auber route but I'm still on the fence.

Just to double check, D-Nail coils will work with the Auber?

Supposed to. D-nail is supposed to be Pins 1 & 2 = AC power, pins 3 & 4 = thermocouple +/-, pin 5 is ground. This is the D-nail, and now pretty much industry wide, standard pin outs on a 5 pin XLR enail connector. BUT, AFAIK D-nail doesn't publish this info.

Auber, being a real instrumentation tech company, and not a hippie dippy vape outfit, does publish their pin outs and its exactly as described above.

Why pay more for a D-nail coil if you are getting an Auber. Buy the coil from them for $55 and then if you need another just look for relatively cheap ones on ebay and the like. They are out there for $35 or so.

As far as I can tell, there ain't no magic sauce in D-nail parts....good stuff, no doubt....but no thanks at their price point. Right now, D-nail has standard coils on sale at $67.50...marked down from $90! AFAIK, same stuff as anybody else.

Good luck.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I don't want to criticize anyone's preference in enail controllers but I just went though this.

I looked at the American made like D-nail and Errlectric and wondered why they were so much more expensive than pretty much all others. Then I got into an education on what goes into an enail controller (and it ain't much) and concluded NO...you are just paying a shit load of money for the name.

All that is in a good enail controller is a combination control module/display, hopefully an external solid state relay (SSR), and power input and coil output plugs. Pretty much it.

I don't think ANY of these companies who sell enails are having their own control module built...they aren't actually contracting for custom silicon or anything. They use commonly available industrial temperature control assemblies such as Omron and others. They may tweek the firmware, and certainly the configuration settings, but they are buying what constitutes 90% of the controller function.

If you want American, and I understand wanting to be able to reach and communicate with customer support, then look at the Auber RDK-300 or RDK-200. Assembled in Georgia and Auber Instruments makes a whole hell of a lot more than enails. They are an instrumentation company and actually document their controller with inclusive and fairly complete manuals in readable English (wow, what a shocker that is). They even document the pin assignments on their coil output (and they use the commonly used D-nail pin outs of 1 & 2 = AC power, 3 & 4 are thermocouple +/-, and 5 is ground).

Their best controller goes for $135 plus another $55 if you want a coil. So, $190 with free shipping (I think) gets you everything but your nail or banger (and personally, while not the most experienced guy on this board by a long shot, but I love my CCA 710 Liger Banger 2.0)

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=484

Gimido is Chinese and their Best Dabs unit uses an Omron E5CC and hopefully uses the right version that drives an external SSR. I have not heard of problems with Gimido. Warning: Their Best Dabs unit uses a mini-XLR connector for the coil which means you will be buying coils from them forever as I could not find any mini-XLRs from other sources.

http://www.e-nail.org/GIMIDO-Best-Dabs-Enail.html

The Gimido Nice Dabs unit, however, offers an option for full size, 5-pin XLR, and I believe that this is what you want as its the most common interface. Its $10 extra for 5 pin full size XLR

http://www.e-nail.org/Safe-Enail-Units/GIMIDO-Nice-Dabs-Enail.html

I also have a Greenlight Vapes G-9 which is another Chinese made unit. It sported an Omron E5CC-QX) (which is the right PID control assembly for use with an SSR). But there was no SSR in the box, its temperature stability sucked, they actually soldered wires to the Omron screw down terminals. A friend of mine basically had to pull it completely apart and rewire the box while adding an SSR. Its on its way back to me and I understand it works flawlessly now. But if you aren't into reading tech manuals and maybe doing a bit of soldering, this approach ain't for you.

NOW, I do know very experienced dabbers on this board who have G9's that were properly built and configured. They were just a bit more than I paid via Alibaba but the boxes were right as rain. I just don't trust a company that would put the same model number on two different boxes with one of them being woefully inadequate.

If you go with Greenlight...or are interested....this is the one to get. I paid $135 for the unit (without coil) via Alibaba. Another member paid around $185 or so and not sure of the source. As you can see, their best unit shown below. This looks exactly like the unit I received and exactly like the unit that others on this board received, but mine was basically completely hosed up. Note, this model does have the Omron E5CC which is a very good PID temp controller.

http://www.greenlightvapes.com/#!product-page/gba22/484f992c-b32c-cc98-1bc4-e3b5fc13fc14

Now, there is another source to mention. That is New Vape in Boyton Beach, FL. I love New Vape, I like the company, I like all of the products that I have purchased from them, I like the guy that owns it....very nice fellow. American company, a machine & tool company really who moved into vape products when the great recession hit their normal markets. Their metal stuff is superb. I know nothing about their electronics though, to include their enail offering.

I note that that don't offer much in the way of description of who makes their PID assembly or any performance figures (none of them really publish expected performance numbers). So, hard to tell. NOTE: however, New Vape only offers flat coil or 16mm coil models and they do NOT use the standard XLR connector so again you will be limited in sources for coils.

http://www.newvape.com/digital-enail-9089/

Lastly, I wanted a company I could communicate with. I sent a contact form email to Gimido with a few questions and never received an answer. I sent a contact form email to HighFive, which is an American company, and never received an answer. I will not again buy an enail from a company I cannot easily and reliably communicate with. This may not be a big factor to you but it is to me...particularly after the G9 fiasco.

If it were me, starting out from scratch and based on the sources I know about, I would buy the Auber RDK-300 again. But, different models, different features, different price points....all available as we are all different people.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers
You are wrong sir. Errlectric is a custom board made by them. There is a voided of the "pick-and-place machine" making the boards on their web site. They do not use an external relay OR PID. In that way they are different than ANY other Enail manufacturer. They are also the ONLY UL Rated E-nail in existence. So that should also give you a vote of confidence that it will be safe and not burn your house down. (Unless you do something stupid).

Baron23

You are wrong sir. Errlectric is a custom board made by them. There is a voided of the "pick-and-place machine" making the boards on their web site. They do not use an external relay OR PID. In that way they are different than ANY other Enail manufacturer. They are also the ONLY UL Rated E-nail in existence. So that should also give you a vote of confidence that it will be safe and not burn your house down. (Unless you do something stupid).
Hi @DieHard - I get it. You like your Errlectric and find it worth the price. Most do not.

I also get that they don't buy a PID control assembly and did lay out their own board. But what extra value (aside from UL rating) does it bring to the application. I get +/- one degree F or so from my Auber and my Omron PID controller. There is no advantage that I can see for trying to achieve more temp stability than that for this application and any additional performance would therefore not be worth (to me, at least) the significant additional cost.

To me, its just overpriced and there are completely adequate alternatives for quite a bit less money.

Cheers

cptchronic

The reason I'm still on the fence is ultimately performance. If the Auber controller is equal to D-Nail or Errlectric I totally would go the Auber route. But i still would want D-Nail coils because I want to use their SiC dish. But at the same time I'm not completely swayed that direction and am intrigued by Errlectric still because of their design.

Does coil design and controller function have a major impact on the overall experience? Do barrel coils or flat coils function better? I know it depends on what nail you choose but is there any reason to choose my nail based on a certain coil?

I also just don't really get how the difference in nail composition will effect vapor quality. I've used Ti, ceramic and quartz and prefer quartz but in some aspects I prefer Ti. I know it's preference but I just wanna know if anyone has firsthand results in terms of efficiency and flavor.

cptchronic

So I decided to go with a D-Nail controller and the SiC dish. Completely worth it in my opinion. Got the controller nail, cap and coil for 352 so I couldn't pass it up lol

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So I was wondering what kind of E-Nail I should look into getting. I'm aware of some of the differences in components for the various brands but what I am not sure of is actual performance comparisons.

Do the more expensive American produced brands have substantial benefits in terms of flavor and vapor quality? Or can the same be achieved with Chinese units? I don't mind paying extra if the quality and service is substantially better.

And also I'm a little confused on what nail I should use. Not so much the sizing but the materials. I ultimately just want the best quality.

Thanks FC

You will like that D-nail you picked up, quality controller and nail. If you ever feel like a different nail for your controller check out the Liger, it's pretty nice too.

Top Bottom