Firewood7 vs Tinymight cooling in portable config?

purepotstill

I kind of skimmed through the responses but didn't see anybody address this... and I dont think this is actually the case at all. I'm sure more people are using it through water than J hooks but even then, I'm thinking the most common use is with the native stock stem + cooling unit for the TM or the stock stem on the FW.

Like I got my TM in October, used it through water maybe 3 times and just got my first J Hooks 3 weeks ago... and only have maybe 2 weeks of use out of them. Other than that this whole time I've been using the stock short stem and cooling units.
As I said above, I'm using my TM with the stock stem + CU and I'm really happy with it. I may enjoy the J-Hook even more, but the vapour is cool enough for me this way.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@BrianTL et al that is good to hear--I'm just going by the overwhelming number of posts I see perusing the TM thread or the photos I see in AskFC. I'm cognizant that usage has been primarily home bound for a while, and I don't pretend to have exhaustively surveyed that thread.

To me they both look about the same as far as ease of loading. The TM I'd probably just straw suck from my little grinder into the short stem. The FW I'd need to stop and pack, but I don't see that as too onerous. Ditto pocketability--I think the FW has a slight edge due to the retractable stem and its maybe a slightly thinner profile overall. Still, I think that is close to a wash--the short stem doesn't protrude from the TM near as much as I thought in pictures. If its warm and I'm wearing shorts my pockets are usually larger than what I have on jeans. If its cool enough to be in jeans there is always a chance I'll have a hoodie or jacket with larger pockets.

The main thing for me is the cooling, which also seems close (unfortunately for ease of my decision). I'll have to sleep on it. Maybe I'm mistaken and it would be easy to sell the TM for no/minimal loss and just try both.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
@BrianTL et al that is good to hear--I'm just going by the overwhelming number of posts I see perusing the TM thread or the photos I see in AskFC. I'm cognizant that usage has been primarily home bound for a while, and I don't pretend to have exhaustively surveyed that thread.

To me they both look about the same as far as ease of loading. The TM I'd probably just straw suck from my little grinder into the short stem. The FW I'd need to stop and pack, but I don't see that as too onerous. Ditto pocketability--I think the FW has a slight edge due to the retractable stem and its maybe a slightly thinner profile overall. Still, I think that is close to a wash--the short stem doesn't protrude from the TM near as much as I thought in pictures. If its warm and I'm wearing shorts my pockets are usually larger than what I have on jeans. If its cool enough to be in jeans there is always a chance I'll have a hoodie or jacket with larger pockets.

The main thing for me is the cooling, which also seems close (unfortunately for ease of my decision). I'll have to sleep on it. Maybe I'm mistaken and it would be easy to sell the TM for no/minimal loss and just try both.

in terms of cooling I think they're very close to each other... neither is noticeably better than the other, with the stock set-up IMO. Maybe a slight edge to the TM at the higher end of the temp range. However the trade off there is that the cooling unit on the TM is quicker to gunk up than the FW, which really just needs a quick ISO wipe every now and then. The TM does have a noticeable change as the CU gets gunked... I dont really notice as its happening but once I clean them, its like wow, thats how its supposed to hit!

But yes loading thats how I do it. I just find the straw-suck method much easier & convenient for me. It's quicker and less likely to spill than trying to dump or scoop flower into the FW oven.

You honestly can't go wrong with either. Or just get both - I really like switching between the two :tup:

EZ Wind

Lost Sailor
I don't think it's been mentioned so far in this thread, but the FW7 is excellent for micro dosing. I usually only load enough to cover the screen -- about .025-.03 grams and get excellent hits and even brown ABV. Temp stepping even with such a small amount yields at least one fat hit on each of the three user-customizable temp settings. Changing pre-set temps is a matter of simple button presses -- one press for temp one, two for temp two, etc. I don't own a TM, so I can't compare it for micro dosing.

Someone mentioned a possible lapse in build quality as demand has gone up. I have two FW7's -- one from late 2020 (before the hype) and one from the first week Marc started including the Hula stem (late Feb I think?) -- if anything the newer one is actually finished better than the older one. It's fine sanded and the sliders and ceramic parts all fit together flawlessly. Yes, I liked the FW7 so much I bought a spare in case I ever had to send one back for repairs. I figure I'll have no trouble selling one or both if I wanna upgrade to a future FW8.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I don't think it's been mentioned so far in this thread, but the FW7 is excellent for micro dosing. I usually only load enough to cover the screen -- about .025-.03 grams and get excellent hits and even brown ABV. Temp stepping even with such a small amount yields at least one fat hit on each of the three user-customizable temp settings. Changing pre-set temps is a matter of simple button presses -- one press for temp one, two for temp two, etc. I don't own a TM, so I can't compare it for micro dosing.

Someone mentioned a possible lapse in build quality as demand has gone up. I have two FW7's -- one from late 2020 (before the hype) and one from the first week Marc started including the Hula stem (late Feb I think?) -- if anything the newer one is actually finished better than the older one. It's fine sanded and the sliders and ceramic parts all fit together flawlessly. Yes, I liked the FW7 so much I bought a spare in case I ever had to send one back for repairs. I figure I'll have no trouble selling one or both if I wanna upgrade to a future FW8.

Yeah they are actually both excellent for microdosing, and they can hold a decent amount as well, plus everything in between of course! I have two FW7 and two TM now, but don't think I'd ever want to sell either!! :D

gordontreeman

@EZ Wind and others who own both how do you find they compare in terms of evenness of bake? Something I love about the Woodscents/Dynavap is that the AVB is incredibly even, sans stirring. A common refrain I see for the TM is that there's a dark ring/stirring is necessary. Is the FW better in this regard?

gordontreeman,
Reactions: EZ Wind

Shit Snacks

@EZ Wind and others who own both how do you find they compare in terms of evenness of bake? Something I love about the Woodscents/Dynavap is that the AVB is incredibly even, sans stirring. A common refrain I see for the TM is that there's a dark ring/stirring is necessary. Is the FW better in this regard?

You do not need to stir the FW at all, because it is mostly conduction. Pack it tight, even extraction for the most part, though on upper temp sometimes there can be some scorch bits... I think most people troubled by the dark ring, and those who stir with the TM, are loading too much, a full basket screen or so should not need stirring, and certainly not if you load less, like a log vape amount... But we've discussed this lol

Vaporware

If I push a FW7 bowl too far it can get a lot darker around the outside, but it’s usually pretty even it does seem to extract thoroughly without stirring.

You might get another whispy hit by stirring, but I don’t think it’s worth it and I’m not sure you’d even get that if you push it hard enough before stirring.

The only times I stir are when I overcook it around the edges early on or when it’s in my pocket and loosely packed so the flower comes apart a bit.

SquirrelMaster

I prefer my Tinymight but I have to acknowledge the FW7 works very effectively. I prefer convection style vapes for flavour and the fit and finish is much better on my TM. TM will hot spot at higher temps (7+) and so it should be stirred between hits. I don't stir when I start at lower temperatures (4~) and then gradually bump up to 7-8. If you're using the short stem it may heat up a bit in use, at least I find mine does which is why I prefer the longer stem of a wpa in a j-hook or bong. Or do what any sane person would do :lol: and plan to get both, they really compliment each other. It's the FW7 or Mighty for hybrid heating and I'd take the FW7 most times.

gordontreeman

But we've discussed this lol
Haha. Yeah, it’s brought up enough in the tm thread that I wanted to get some other takes on it. In my Woodscents 0.05g (half of a loosely packed dynavap tip) is still 2 solid water pipe hits, a wispy hit, and one more if I crank the temp and go for black avb. I’m just thinking on the go I won’t want to repack every hit, but if the tm gives similar 0.1g is probably a plenty large bowl for me 🙂.

Shit Snacks

Haha. Yeah, it’s brought up enough in the tm thread that I wanted to get some other takes on it. In my Woodscents 0.05g (half of a loosely packed dynavap tip) is still 2 solid water pipe hits, a wispy hit, and one more if I crank the temp and go for black avb. I’m just thinking on the go I won’t want to repack every hit, but if the tm gives similar 0.1g is probably a plenty large bowl for me 🙂.

Figured, but couldn't help myself lol Yeah I think that amount, the extraction is even enough, though it could be that you will be leaving a little bit behind as opposed to loading a little less... The stirring would only allow for a negligible amount more that it wouldn't be worth doing in any case! If you are loading like 0.2g that is where I think people may see more benefit from stirring?

purepotstill

I load my TM with I think a bit more than 0.1g, but not much more. Typical use for me is beginning on 2.5 (what a flavor hit !), then 4, then between 6 and 7 to finish. Got the dark ring, but clearer part is brown nonetheless, so think it's fully extracted.

Top Bottom