FC car guys?

SimonC

FEAR420 said:
:raises hand: :nod:
That's great. By the looks of things, your part of the world is seeing some warm weather, as is mine. I pulled the cars out yesterday. How did your stable fare the winter?

Simon

SimonC,

FEAR420

SimonC said:
FEAR420 said:
:raises hand: :nod:
That's great. By the looks of things, your part of the world is seeing some warm weather, as is mine. I pulled the cars out yesterday. How did your stable fare the winter?

Simon
My car was totaled last week :( A group of 3 vandals decided they'd try and steal my car,then discovered they couldnt so they TRASHED IT instead.

FEAR420,

SimonC

Oh, no! I'm very sorry to hear that. What are you getting to replace it?

Simon

SimonC,

FEAR420

Well,...I wanna find a garage. If I do,I want a SVT or Cobra Mustang. Finding them is easy,keeping them YOURS isnt ;)

FEAR420,

mnmlh

*Raises both hands and waves*

A majority of my time goes towards this subject.

mnmlh,

SimonC

mnmlh said:

Ahhh...mine, as well. Car guy from early childhood, ever since I can remember. Without compromising security, what type of machinery do you prefer? I tend to go for two different animals: lightweight, relatively low-powered roadsters and ridiculous performance envelopes likes of which my personal driving skill will never fully explore. I'm actually about to take the latter for a spin.

Simon

SimonC,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
FEAR420 said:
Well,...I wanna find a garage. If I do,I want a SVT or Cobra Mustang. Finding them is easy,keeping them YOURS isnt ;)
such is life in the outer boroughs...
remember "club" steering wheel locks?
you don't seem to see them around much anymore.

jeffp,

mnmlh

SimonC said:
mnmlh said:

Ahhh...mine, as well. Car guy from early childhood, ever since I can remember. Without compromising security, what type of machinery do you prefer? I tend to go for two different animals: lightweight, relatively low-powered roadsters and ridiculous performance envelopes likes of which my personal driving skill will never fully explore. I'm actually about to take the latter for a spin.

Simon
Me too. I was born into it. One of my earliest memories is being in the passenger seat of an old boat tail Alfa spider on an autocross course. When it comes to machinery, I prefer handling, low weight and normally aspirated. If I lived near a road track, I'd be more into horsepower, but as it is, I really do think driving a slow car fast is a lot more fun than driving a fast car slow on the streets. I think I've owned 4 cars over the past 4 years. :uhoh: Had a turbo miata as one of those. I think I'd prefer owning the N/A version better, as I really don't care for turbo lag. Looking into an S2000 these days.

mnmlh,
Me too. Always loved high-revving way light rear-engine ragtops.
Went through quite a few and found my true love.

'99 Miata 10th Anniversary Edition. LSD, 6-speed close-ratio, Eilbachs, etc and the top is down unless it is actively precipitating. I bounce off the limiter just often enough to remind myself why they are called "roadsters."

Used to run Gymkhanas in an old 190SL way back and have pulled a few autocrosses with the Miata but am getting way to old to snap my neck like that. :cool:

Howie Feltersnatch,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I don't think car guys means what it used too. My dad was a biker and a 'car guy'. He built, fixed and showed cars for most of my life. Cool old school roadsters, muscle cars, etc. I had an affinity for muscle cars for many years myself, went through a few :)

My last 'muscle car' was my 1969 El Camino which I sold about 5 years ago. I loved that thing and man, I could fly, It was SO LOUD, I LOVED it! But, it just seemed silly to keep it, sat in garage a lot. ate gas and my husband is not a car guy. I sold a few years back but I still have a picture & kept one trophy for memories.

When my dad passed away a few years back I inherited a 43' or '44 Mercury Monterey I think it was called. It was my dad's 'gangster-mobile'. Black, red trim, skull stuff on it, etc. I also inherited his 'barbie-mobile' A wild orchid (lavender) corvette. They were all chrome this n that under the hood, etc. He took them to car shows A LOT! They are both in very happy homes now with owners who cherish them as he did :D

Posting that just made me miss my dad :peace:

So.... I know NOTHING about these new little speedy, sporty cars. You guys should show some pix!!!

Lo,

Frickr

mnmlh s2000's are sexy!

right now im in a lowered 2000 honda civic si. 170hp, i have a few little things on i,h,e, and i have to say this is a very fun car to drive! the transmittions low geared, so long trips you have to listen to 3500rpm at 65 4000 at 75, but it redlines at 8200. needless to say it screams. if any of you know honda's, mine has the dohc vtec (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) 1.6 b series motors. and when the vtec engages, the sound of the motor changes as it goes from the economy cam, to the performance cam at about 4500-8200 it just screams. also this thing LOVES corners. thats where this car excells. i love the twisty backroads. whereever you aim the car she goes.

also have a 85 monte carlo SS that im building up to be a drag car. still gonna be street legal just with a stripped interior and a built 350. hoping to ge the moter done this summer with around 500hp. should be a fun car to go toy with.

1977 F-100 ford stepside. now this is my ugly little duckling! this was the truck i drove through highschool. was my dads, and grandpa's and was sitting with a blown motor for 10 years, before i dropped a motor in, had a 351w right around the 300 hp mark. 3 on the tree. that truck flew! wasnt the prettiest, the original color was yellow, dad primered it gray, the gray was wearing off in spots, so it was a red, gray, yellow colored truck. i had to learn to drive quick with that truck, the back end would come around pretty quick if you werent paying attention. it ran a 9.5 second 1/8th mile drag with a smoked clutch.

and last but not least i have a 80 jeep cj7. rebuilt motor, tranny, and readend on it. lifted on 33x12.5's this things just a off road blast.

what can i say im a car guy! :lol:

Frickr,

mnmlh

Lo said:
I don't think car guys means what it used too.
Things are different now, but I think it carries a similar meaning, relatively speaking. Today's cars are not as easy, or cheap, to tune for power as the cars of yesteryear. This is mostly based on the fact that the engines, after fuel injectors, started to become controlled by pretty advanced computer parameters. After that level of control was achieved, engineers started to look at things like variable timing, and then the HP per Liter wars were on. These little 4 cylinder cars were able to achieve relatively high horsepower levels by being able to rev up to 8000 rpms while retaining a low weight. This overall level of technological advancement makes them nimble and responsive, which is a very different basis for going down the road fast than a muscle car, and it bred a whole different generation of enthusiasts. The muscle car folks have not changed much in my lifetime, but they had already been doing the same thing they are doing now for 30 years before I was born. They still prefer wrenching, restoring and driving in a straight line.

The import scene, because of the technological advances within the automotive and manufacturing industries, has a more commercial aspect to it. You buy parts that are highly engineered using computer analysis to extract a very precise tuning goal, and built, in many cases, to the highest standard of quality out there. I mean, check out a full titanium exhaust system, or a full carbon fiber body replacement for a car like an S2000. Those items alone can costs many thousands of dollars per component. You could buy a muscle car, build the engine and restore it for the cost of just a carbon fiber body.

edit: Here is a pic of the MX-5 I had
FDsIi.jpg

mnmlh,
Top Bottom