Efficiency question on Launch Box vs. Purple Days/MZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

DharmaBum

Hey I'm looking at buying either the MFLB or the PD/MZ and my only concern is just how much efficiency is gained with the PD/MZ? I'm definitely leaning toward the MFLB just for the new opportunities but I'm not sure how much herb goes into a "trench".

How much is in a decent trench for you? Is this comparable to the minute .025-.03g of a PD/MZ?

The perfect combination reported by many is to have a plug in vape like a PD/MZ or even a bag vape like the Extreme Q with the MFLB as a portable complement. Is the MFLB not strong enough alone because of the whole battery situation?

DharmaBum,

steiner666

Serial vapist
DharmaBum said:
The perfect combination reported by many is to have a plug in vape like a PD/MZ or even a bag vape like the Extreme Q with the MFLB as a portable complement. Is the MFLB not strong enough alone because of the whole battery situation?
not so much because of the battery thing, although thats a def plus to having an AC powered unit in addition, but because, in my experience, the MFLB leaves a good bit of stuff behind. No matter how much i vaped stuff in the LB, i was always able to get at least a few more hits in my desktop vapes. i'd suggest a vape with a higher temp range, preferably one thats variable rather than set-temp. Be it a bag, whip or whatever, unless you plan on making edibles.

If your concern is with efficiency and extracting as much as possible, and you're looking into bag vapes, i'd def check into the herbalaire. Supposedly can get about 2 bags worth of vapor out of ABV from other vapes. I'm sure you'd probably even be able to squeeze more than that out if this ABV is coming from a MFLB. It actually works out pretty good using the MFLB as your daytime vape, it gives you mostly that light THC clear headed high, and then revaping the ABV later on to get sedated.

just my :2c:

steiner666,

Mckdenton

Welcome to FC DharmaBum. The efficiency of the LB and PD are both great. I think that i can get high off the same ammount of herb with my log vapes as with my LB.

Before i got my log vapes i used my LB as my main vape even tho i had an E. IMO the LB can be used as a main vape (might wanna get a couple extra batts if you are a heavy user.) I was usually pretty set if i had 4 batts ready for a whole day. I get 1-2 trenches off each batt.

But yeah i was satisfied with just using the LB. super easy to learn to use well (after reading the forum). i can cook my herb more with my LB then my PDP. this is because the PD is a fix temp. LBs temp can be altered by changing the draw speed.

IMO LB + log vape + Glass bong = perfection both at home and on the go.

I would recommended you getting both, But to start out I think the LB is a great inexpensive vape to start with. Chances are you will want them ALLLLL. haha :peace:

Mckdenton,

DharmaBum

Thanks for the replies guys def picking an LB up then. I should've said that at the moment it's an either or type deal but later on i'll probably want to have both. I love learning how to do things so once it arrives it sounds like fun to have to control the temp with breathing. I still don't know how much a decent trench has of herb but I guess i'll learn that once it arrives.

And i'm glad to be a member here, i'll read alot more than post though.

DharmaBum,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
DharmaBum said:
I still don't know how much a decent trench has of herb but I guess i'll learn that once it arrives.
I have both MZ and MFLB, only like 2 weeks experience with the MZ and relatively light use on the launch box (so far the DBV has gotten the most use from me, with MZ taking over lately).

Without trying to be super accurate I'd say you can fit more in a trench than into a MZ stem, maybe even close to 0.1 if you tried to pack it in tight. But, also i seem to cook the herb more evenly with a less full trench so usually don't fill it all the way. So it's kind of a tossup. I'd tentatively give the nod to the MZ for efficiency though.

rabblerouser,

vapirtoo

My friend squeezes all, and I mean all, of the thc out of his LB because his abv is almost black and his
box looks burned like an old pipe with the acrylic lid an almost dark brown due to resin build-up. The fool also has been using the round end of a paper clip to scrape out the burned residue in the trench! OUCH!
According to how you draw on the LB, it can be one of the more efficient vapes on the market.
Blissville has a graph and great temperature info on one of the posts here.

My friend has had his LB all of two months and it looks whipped! It is good to read the instructions
that come with the LB. Eventhough his vape is thrashed it still works! I'm trying to get him to return
it for repairs, but he can't part with it.:(

vapirtoo,

max

Out to lunch
With a fixed temp vape you can't get into higher temps, so in that respect it's not as efficient as a variable temp vape. The plus with a fixed temp vape that only holds a very small amount, is that you'll get the most out of the herb at that temp. If you're like me and a lot of others, you'll find yourself using less than with a variable temp model. After vaping a few of those little bowls (depending on your herb quality and tolerence), you'll often find yourself just not loading another. With a vape that uses a large bowl, whip or bag vape, you'll find yourself loading it up and vaping the whole thing. That's a good method for getting wasted in a hurry, but you go through more of your supply too. The problem with a fixed temp model is that the remains (ABV) still have some good content, and you need to do something with that- use in another, adjustable temp vape, smoke it (yuck), use it for edibles, etc.

The LB can be very efficient, but if you load a good amount and aren't careful, it can easily overcook the herb. You can also fail to get some of the herb exposed to enough heat, since it's not really a convection model. If efficiency is the #1 priority, instead of price and portability, this isn't the best choice. I think the LB works best, efficiency wise, with very small loads in the trench. You don't really get hits you can feel or see (exhaled vapor) this way, but it's much easier to avoid waste, get it all vaped, and the effects are certainly there. Unlike a fixed temp model, you can use the LB to get the full range of vaping temps.

steiner666 said:
If your concern is with efficiency and extracting as much as possible, and you're looking into bag vapes, i'd def check into the herbalaire.
As a long time herbalAire owner, I agree it does a great job of extracting everything from your bowl load, but I've also found that I tend to use considerably more herb, day in and day out, with a bag filler. The same goes for direct draw with a full sized bowl. Although you can use most any quality vape in an efficient manner, it's hard to make yourself use small amounts and take small hits with big bowls and big hitters, including bags.

These days I mostly use two fixed temp vapes (PD at home and iolite away) and two variable temp models (SSV at home and LB away).

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
vapirtoo said:
My friend squeezes all, and I mean all, of the thc out of his LB because his abv is almost black and his
box looks burned like an old pipe with the acrylic lid an almost dark brown due to resin build-up. The fool also has been using the round end of a paper clip to scrape out the burned residue in the trench! OUCH!
According to how you draw on the LB, it can be one of the more efficient vapes on the market.
Blissville has a graph and great temperature info on one of the posts here.

My friend has had his LB all of two months and it looks whipped! It is good to read the instructions
that come with the LB. Eventhough his vape is thrashed it still works! I'm trying to get him to return
it for repairs, but he can't part with it.:(
Oh yeah, the LB def CAN extract everything straight up to combustion, but its just not as easy to do or as even and tasty. Some stuff gets scorched before other stuff has been vaped well and so it ruins the taste for the rest of the bowl. I owned a LB for about 4 months and sold it (needed the $ at the time, plan on getting another in the future) and it was damn near mint condition. I always loaded small trenches of bud powder and shook really well between hits. I think i only ever messed up and left the batter in after i was done hitting it like once or twice, and fortunately neither time it got hot enough to burn still. Towards the end of my LB ownership, i was gettin MUCh better at vaping herb well in it. My trenches were coming out a really nice even brown. Still, a couple spent trenches loaded up into a variable temp vape (at that time, a DBV) would give me at least 4 decent sized hits. enough to get me vaked again at least. a more cloudy and sedate vaked, but still vaked.

max said:
steiner666 said:
If your concern is with efficiency and extracting as much as possible, and you're looking into bag vapes, i'd def check into the herbalaire.
As a long time herbalAire owner, I agree it does a great job of extracting everything from your bowl load, but I've also found that I tend to use considerably more herb, day in and day out, with a bag filler. The same goes for direct draw with a full sized bowl. Although you can use most any quality vape in an efficient manner, it's hard to make yourself use small amounts and take small hits with big bowls and big hitters, including bags.

These days I mostly use two fixed temp vapes (PD at home and iolite away) and two variable temp models (SSV at home and LB away).
yeah, my suggestion of the herbalaire was mainly just so he'd have a way to easily make sure that his ABV is well spent... as well as a nice vape for if he has group sessions. But mostly because it would be much easier for someone to use for revaping light ABV than a whip vape where he might combust or something. HA seems pretty foolproof in that regard.

But for an efficient daily driver at home, for vaping fresh herb on the weekends and stuff, a log vape or maybe SSV with a vaporbros miniwand would be a good choice. I use the SSV+mini and im very happy with it. My scale only measures to 0.1g, and my normal miniwand bowl doesnt even register as anything when i dump it out onto it. Plus you'll have the standard sized bowl that will hold more for group sessions and such, so its pretty flexible.

Basically we're telling you that you need to get at least 3 vapes! lol it may seem excessive now, but theyre addicting

steiner666,

DharmaBum

steiner666 said:
yeah, my suggestion of the herbalaire was mainly just so he'd have a way to easily make sure that his ABV is well spent... as well as a nice vape for if he has group sessions. But mostly because it would be much easier for someone to use for revaping light ABV than a whip vape where he might combust or something. HA seems pretty foolproof in that regard.

But for an efficient daily driver at home, for vaping fresh herb on the weekends and stuff, a log vape or maybe SSV with a vaporbros miniwand would be a good choice.

Basically we're telling you that you need to get at least 3 vapes! lol it may seem excessive now, but theyre addicting
Yeah lol it seems like it. I better ween off this site before I buy anything else.

DharmaBum,

Raf007

Retailer
Isn't it too late ? :D
I bought 3 diff vapes since I joined (and plan to buy two more at least)... beware. :)

Raf007,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom