ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
'twould be a bargain at twice the price.
That's why I'm not going to bother Andy for my six dollar goof.

I asked the other day but my question was buried..... How are people best using Ed's wooden stems?

I have a hard time loading it and keeping the top layer of material from touching the E-Nano heater' screen which I thought was to be avoided. Any tips or tricks would be great.

I have found that I really like this stem with a bit of Kief or hash sandwiched between very thin layer of cotton fiber. I may just keep this stem for these non-melting concentrates to keep it clean and easy to manage.

Last edited:
ChippyMalone,
Reactions: Enchantre

exit

Is the sale over now? Don't see sale prices on the black friday page anymore, but I didn't get to order a black friday Nano :/

exit,

blamejane

I asked the other day but my question was buried..... How are people best using Ed's wooden stems?

I have a hard time loading it and keeping the top layer of material from touching the E-Nano heater' screen which I thought was to be avoided. Any tips or tricks would be great.

I found this video tutorial which shows the e-nano being used with one of Ed's wood stems...about the 10:40 second mark is when the wood stem comes into use. It doesn't show much, but rather explains it a little:

I thought it would be nice to have a cork or rubber stopper for the end of the dry stem. This way, if I have an unfinished bowl I can cork it and then lay it down. Otherwise I feel I always have to keep it standing up, so the dry herb doesn't fall out.

Last edited:

vxavjzpm

Special note:
Because of a production problem with the manufacturer of my custom heating elements I am going to be out of heaters (Nanos) sometime before Christmas until late January.

Thank you for the update. Are you saying you are still, as of now, in stock and you'll be out when what you have now sells? Or are you just out? May place an order soon.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Personally I put another screen on the top of the herb. There are other techniques but this is mine.
I do the same: Pack herb just as I would in a glass stem, cover with a domed screen, set dial .5-1.0 higher due to the difference in thermal characteristics of the metal bushing vs. glass ...and GO! Very little difference in method - no mystery.

MuushuPork

To any other ss wool users, does it matter that stuff seems to end up on the sides of the gong? Does that stuff get vaped anyway? Do i need to vape on a 10 to b sure? Any other general tips? Wondering also if i could just get a healthstone type setup? Anyone seen 18mm healthstone enano gongs? Thanks either way. Hopefully its no big cuz its way to easy to vape concentrates with ss wool.

MuushuPork,
Reactions: snamuh

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
A minor little hack: I slipped a piece of toothpick between the glass and silicone band to prevent the stem from rolling off the table.

A small bead or three of glass added to the stem would be a simple design improvement to prevent breakage. I might take my stems to a local glass blower and have that done.

Walter Bishop

So been a little over a week since receiving my Nano. Love this diminutive powerhouse!

Been using both the stem and GonG probably about 50/50.

I noticed that although I may run the temp a bit higher when using a water pipe, the temp seems to stay more steady than when using the stem alone. i.e. I can run the unit at 7.5 with my bubbler and leave it at 7.5 throughout the sesh. Big clouds all sesh long. The load toasts up nice and even.

Where as with the stem alone it seems I have to go from 6.5 to about 8.5 by the end of my stem load to toast things nice and light brown.

Does this seem typical to you experienced Nano users? Or, is the fact that I raise temp when using them stem alone weird or incorrect?

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
So been a little over a week since receiving my Nano. Love this diminutive powerhouse!

Been using both the stem and GonG probably about 50/50.

I noticed that although I may run the temp a bit higher when using a water pipe, the temp seems to stay more steady than when using the stem alone. i.e. I can run the unit at 7.5 with my bubbler and leave it at 7.5 throughout the sesh. Big clouds all sesh long. The load toasts up nice and even.

Where as with the stem alone it seems I have to go from 6.5 to about 8.5 by the end of my stem load to toast things nice and light brown.

Does this seem typical to you experienced Nano users? Or, is the fact that I raise temp when using them stem alone weird or incorrect?

Oh god no, I never need to go up to 8.5 with anything but concentrates. Maybe your stem screen is to far away from the heater - try using the EPik to measure the distance.

Walter Bishop

Oh god no, I never need to go up to 8.5 with anything but concentrates. Maybe your stem screen is to far away from the heater - try using the EPik to measure the distance.

I use the pick to set the screen with the notch. I also use the short side of the pick to measure my material's distance from the heating element screen.

I'm starting to wonder if my unit heats up as much as other people's. 6.5 does not hold enough heat to toast a whole stem load for me. By the third pull on 6.5, there is little to no vapor visible, even if I stir it up, and move the material closer to the heating element.

It's not that I can't use the unit. I use it just fine. I'm just a bit weirded out by the fact that I see people talking about vaping in the 5-6 range, and there is no way I could do that. Even when pre-heated for an hour plus.

Walter Bishop,
Reactions: 421

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Awesome! So we know that's not the problem. Do you leave your nano running for extended periods, or do you turn on before your session?

How warm is the exterior of the wood to the touch? Mine has been running at 6.4 for two hours now and it feels like a very comfortable hand warmer - my IR gun is reading around 120F on the exterior - but that sounds a bit warm.

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
@Walter Bishop when you turn the dial to the off position, does the pointer actually point to zero? The dial can be pried off and adjusted, but someone who has done it should tell you how, not me.

Also, my Koa wood unit runs about 1/2 notch cooler than my Walnut using the same power cord. So there could be a little bit of variation. As long as you are able to predictably extract your vapor without too much effort or excessive roasting, nothing else matters.

If my third hit has the popcorn taste at the end, my temperature setting is perfect.

Last edited:

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
You shouldn't worry yourself with numbers on the dial. Everybody's nano is different my dial maxes out at 9.5 and use it at 6. You have to take everything into consideration room temperature wood type type of material being used? just set it at what works for you and enjoy your lovely Nano:nod::2c:

Last edited:

Walter Bishop

Awesome! So we know that's not the problem. Do you leave your nano running for extended periods, or do you turn on before your session?

How warm is the exterior of the wood to the touch? Mine has been running at 6.4 for two hours now and it feels like a very comfortable hand warmer - my IR gun is reading around 120F on the exterior - but that sounds a bit warm.

I do leave it on most of the day if I'm home. Usually in the 6.5-7 range. It is warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably so. Well for me anyway. At 10 I can hold it, but I wouldn't want to for long periods of time.

I need an IR gun.

@Walter Bishop when you turn the dial to the off position, does the pointer actually point to zero? The dial can be pried off and adjusted, but someone who has done it should tell you how, not me.

Also, my Koa wood unit runs about 1/2 notch cooler than my Walnut using the same power cord. So there could be a little bit of variation.

If my third hit has the popcorn taste at the end, my temperature setting is perfect.

It does click to zero when off. However, when turned on (the audible, "click!") is at 1.5 not 1.

What number are you normally running at for a sesh with the stem?

You shouldn't worry yourself with numbers on the dial. Everybody's nano is different my dial maxes out at nine and a halfand use it at six. you have to take everything into consideration room temperature wood type type of material being used? just set it at what works for you and enjoy your lovely Nano:nod::2c:

Yes, for the most part I get that the dial is just that. A dial with numbers, and one can not assume that level 6 to me is the same as level 6 in your unit. After all the dial could be a notch or so different from mine to yours. I get it.

I'm really just looking for feedback. While I find the Nano way easier to use than many other vapes I've tried, there is definitely some tinkering to do to get things where you want them. I'm still in my tinkering phase. Heh.

Thank you all again for the feedback and ideas. This forum (and it's members) is really excellent.

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
definitely some tinkering to do to get things where you want them. I'm still in my tinkering phase. Heh.
I have to agree im still in testing phase. Between water ,no water ,glass screen ,adj screen ,wood stem, load size. I put an extra fine s/s screen to much draw resistance. So far I'm liking the adj basket dry stem. Glass screen stem with s/s wool for consentrates. And my custom TnT stem for just kicken back .:nod:

Not big on water Ive been using my GB-187 dry with the nano.

I also find that pushing the screen up about 1/8or3/16 makes smaller loads and dont stir keeps the stem cleaner for choc milk.:tup:

Last edited:

vaplen

@Walter Bishop have you tried heat soaking on the lower temps? Hold the nano and stem together for 15-45 seconds then begin drawing. It preheats it so you don't have to turn it up all the way. It won't be as dark as you might be used to though so keep that in mind. The effects feel nicer on the lower temps during the day

vapordab

Medical+FC=Recreational
@Walter Bishop have you tried heat soaking on the lower temps? Hold the nano and stem together for 15-45 seconds then begin drawing. It preheats it so you don't have to turn it up all the way. It won't be as dark as you might be used to though so keep that in mind. The effects feel nicer on the lower temps during the day

Strongly agree. I've only used my nano at 7 for most of our relationship. I slowly noticed that it KNOCKED me out(coming from a heavy, daily hash oil user), and I would regularly pass out hours before I intended to.

I started to use it at around 6.25 and have noticed much more desirable, non drowsy effects.

Top Bottom