Dune (Movie) Re-Make Won't Happen - Too Bad - Good Books

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Paramount Ends 4-Year Attempt To Turn Frank Herbert's 'Dune' Into Film Franchise

I remember reading all these books several times when I was young.

Don't know if anyone else has had this experience with a book, but I listened non-stop to an album while I was reading the first Dune book, when I was sixteen no less, and after I finished the novel the music haunted me for two weeks - really heavy feeling of the book mixed with synthesizer music of Larry Fast/Synergy. I felt like one of Pavlov's Dogs with a Church Bell around it's neck.

Really hoped they'd eventually make a mini-series about Dune 5, I thought it would make a great action flick with the main character's ability to move really fast. But Dune 6 was my favorite of the books, or that's as far as i got. Very heady stuff with Duncan's reincarnation able to remember all his past clones' lifetimes, two thousand years in the future.

VWFringe,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
gosh, i loved the Dune books (and Frank Herbert) but i stopped after Dune Messiah ... i didn't know there were more volumes ... and i got distracted by Carlos Castaneda's books - i did read all of those.

Hippie Dickie,

djonkoman

when I was still reading a lot I read them too, just the first 2 as far as I remember tough
then I once saw that a movie called dune obviously based on the books would be broadcasted on mtv, didn't know a movie existed and was excited since the books were good... huge disappointment, movie was boring

the only downside woth the books I had was that it's hard to get into it, especially the 2nd book that starts with a meeting between 3 or 5 or so people, but everyone has at least 2 other names wich are not used consistently so you get the feeling there are 20-30 people
first time I read the first book was I think when I was 13 or 14, or maybe even 12, 12 or 13 most likely since I think when I was 14 my reading was already declining
I remember that in elementary I was still reading at least 5 books a week, but the first or 2nd year of highschool that started declining rapidly, couldn't go up into the story anymore, not et that concentration/fixation and forgetting everything around me like I did before, so I slowly substituted reading with other things, never really got into reading as much as I did then again, the first years I still often attempted to read aain since it was so much fun before, but everytime it eneded in never getting further then the 1st chapter before laying it away and not touching it again
maybe I should try again, maybe I could try getting the english version of dune... couldn't read english yet when I was still reading a lot
and then just get superhigh and start reading since the fixation with tasks I can get when high is a lot like the fixation that I used to have with reading
in fact, I'm going to look for a free downloadable ebook right away

once when visiting my uncle he gave me the recommendation to read dune(the dutch transation btw), and lend me the book(this seems a bit offtrack with the previous, that's because I started typing again in the middle of what I already had because ot fitted better there, but I'm kind if really high now and of I'm really high I start to ramble an and on)

djonkoman,
Reactions: macbill

Purple-Days

Read the first two or three... Thought they were good.

I also felt that Dune the movie with Sting (The Police bassist / singer) was a slow boring movie.

Read several Carlos Castaneda books. That (experience) might make an interesting movie. You would have to be a psychonaut to properly direct it. But a lot of the movie wouldn't have to be psychedelic and could be good if done right.

Purple-Days,
I only read the first Dune book, when I was like 12 and dragged along on a family vacation with nothing to do.. But I loved that book. It's obviously a very unique and awesome sci fi universe that should have its own movie trilogy, a series of RTS', a MMORPG, a series of novels by other authors based on its universe...

It's sad that the original movie with the guy from Blue Velvet, and Sting for chrissakes, had to be so shitty. It really is laughably bad at parts.

Some older fans may not know, one of the most important early real time strategy games of all time was Dune, and there were several halfway decent sequels, and I wish they'd keep on making them. Dune is one of those fictions which is too cool for how little was produced based upon it.

charliedontsurf,

djonkoman

yeah I have that game, never played it tough(got it from my uncle once when he was cleaning out his house since he was moving)

came to page 30 in that ebook yesterday, and the reading worked pretty well, probably not so in it as I used to be but on the good path

djonkoman,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i was very disappointed to find out recently that Castaneda's books were discredited, i'd only read one, but...i still wonder where my heart is in a room sometimes (oh, snap, i just realized that might have been alegorical - maybe i'll look back thru that for that one part sometime).

glad to catch up on this thread, and see you guys also read it when i did, i must've been 12-13...though spooky also.

if the first book hadn't had such a profound effect on me, what with conditioning myself to think of the book anytime i thought of the album I listened to while reading it, and vice versa (and couldn't get the music out of my head, I wonder if I'd have read all six books).

i wonder why i can't read a book anymore, there's a block or something, and yet...with everything I've learned about TV, and not being able to look thru "their" lens any longer, not like i did before, it's not as entertaining, and i don't have anything going on in Hulu anymore, or on the DVR, except lefty news programs, i really should pick up a book.

VWFringe,
Top Bottom