Drug test on first day of work?

The Stranger

Account Closed
Ok, so I've been clean for almost 4 months now as I've been looking for work in a new place. I've finally got a job offer and am starting on Monday. In the interview process they did ask me if I'd be willing to take a drug test and after answering yes, he said they usually don't do them though.

Now I've been clean for this long, so I can "easily" :\ wait until after work Monday to pick up but I'd really like to go to the dispensary now and pick some up and be able to vape over the weekend.

I guess my question is, has anybody ever heard or have been drug tested on their first day of work? Usually it is done before the offer and as part of the screening process. But I'm just nervous to have come this far and then ruin it, even though the chances might be slim!

The Stranger,

MinnBobber

I guess my question is, has anybody ever heard or have been drug tested on their first day of work? Usually it is done before the offer and as part of the screening process. But I'm just nervous to have come this far and then ruin it, even though the chances might be slim!
Coming this far, I'd wait to celebrate after your first week on the job.
Just in case, as it is worth it to be careful IMO

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
It's a new career. Start off on a good foot. Wait the week and be responsible. Go get hammered on some booze :lol:

Seriously, new job & source of income or getting medicated over the weekend - which is more important? Do you physically need to medicate for pain relief/sedation? If you don't medically need it, I'd say wait. If you need to medicate to get a good night's sleep in order to do your job properly, that's a different story

HD Springer

Ya I'd wait. Or say fuck it get stoned as fuck then grab a synthetic piss kit and take that with me the first week.
I think you already know what the smart thing here to do is. All we can say is if you've gone this long then what is another few days in the grand scheme of things. 2 mos. from now and it's going to be a moot point IF you chose properly.

howie105

I too would suggest waiting, at least till you had a chance to talk to your new fellow workers and see what the actual deal is on testing. Some places testing is a serious matter other places its a joke but you have to kick around to find out if you can't get a handle on it in the hiring process. Good luck and congratulations on the gig.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
When you go in on Monday just go up to a few co-workers and ask, "Dude, like how often do they piss test you around here?"

:myday: That's poppa's advice :myday: Take it or leave it

The Stranger

Account Closed
Yeah y'all are all right, I am going to wait. I was just gettin a little ahead of myself with the excitement!

When you go in on Monday just go up to a few co-workers and ask, "Dude, like how often do they piss test you around here?"

:myday: That's poppa's advice :myday: Take it or leave it
Hahaha, I like this idea. Especially since most of the people working there are quite a bit older than me. Would be very interesting.

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Every company I've worked for that bothered with testing required I do it as part of the hiring process. I'd be surprised if they hired you without testing and then hit you up on day 1. It doesn't make financial sense to go through all the hiring sequences and then waste all that time, effort and MONEY by testing you on day 1 and possibly having to go through looking for a new candidate all over again.

Having said the above .... I'd still wait since you've already waited so many months. Bottom line...if the company does random tests you'll never know when its coming. Just that it is. Sucks....

The Stranger

Account Closed
Dont ask your coworkers on the first day. You dont know them and you would be outing yourself. Bad move imo
I wasn't actually going to do that. I just got a chuckle out of thinking about how it'd go down.

Every company I've worked for that bothered with testing required I do it as part of the hiring process. I'd be surprised if they hired you without testing and then hit you up on day 1. It doesn't make financial sense to go through all the hiring sequences and then waste all that time, effort and MONEY by testing you on day 1 and possibly having to go through looking for a new candidate all over again.

Having said the above .... I'd still wait since you've already waited so many months. Bottom line...if the company does random tests you'll never know when its coming. Just that it is. Sucks....
That's my thinking. I highly doubt they're going to do random testing if they don't do one before hiring. Plus I'm getting a better deal straight from a grower rather than the dispensary so that makes waiting a little better too.

hd_rider

You might check to see if your employer provides some sort of employee handbook. My employer does and it details all company policies, including the use of drug tests, when they might be administered, etc. Maybe that would at least tell you if your employer performs random tests or not.

The Stranger

Account Closed
You might check to see if your employer provides some sort of employee handbook. My employer does and it details all company policies, including the use of drug tests, when they might be administered, etc. Maybe that would at least tell you if your employer performs random tests or not.
Ohh that is a really good idea!
i think you should cut loose now. Only live once
Hehe don't temp me! :drool:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
As a guy who lost a "good" job through failing a drug test I suggest caution before imbibing. Contracts had been signed by all parties but I came up positive for THC & we could not negotiate a solution so it was agreed I withdraw & they had to settle for 2nd best.

There is some very good advice in here around employee induction handbooks & OH&S platforms. Play it cool since you have not had any for months another week or two does not hurt. My American company tests new applicants & can randomly test employees but I don't know anyone who has been tested once they started.

Top Bottom