Domeless.com Ceramic E-Nail & Cap Stuck together

EpicNameGuy

Hi all. The title says it all mostly. My domeless.com ceramic e-nail and cap got stuck together from a couple of weeks of good use. The cap is actually clogged as well so the draw is very tough at the moment which is my primary concern. I really should have kept removing the cap frequently to avoid this, but that's neither here nor there at this point. I'd like to salvage the two without breaking either.

To complicate it a little bit further, I have an Auber Flat Coil rewrapped around the nail. It's REAL snug on there and will probably be stuck on for the duration. I'm fine with that, but it probably affects some of the options I have. The unwind method for the coil doesn't seem like it would work with the coild already around the nail, and I'm extremely paranoid about exerting too much pressure and breaking the ceramic.

My primary goal here is really to unclog my cap so that it can start drawing nicely again. But, just leaving the temp on and trying to stick something through it isn't helping and I think I might have to clean it another way. But, it's stuck... lol

I can provide pics if need be. Any advice that addresses fixing the issue is appreciated.

EpicNameGuy,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
↑↑ what @420time said.

I have the Auber also and turn mine to 850 and let it go for 20-30min. Any gunk on the nail is now gone. I use a Ti nail not a ceramic one. Maybe go to 900 since you have a cap on yours. Good luck, and be careful not to break any of yo gear!

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: grdwaste

EpicNameGuy

Thanks guys! It ended up not being a big deal once I took a breath and just followed some advice as well as improvised a bit.

I left it on for quite a while at 900 but that didn't seem to be enough, it was still stuck together and EXTREMELY hot. So, I let it cool down completely.

Then I set the coil to 100 and grabbed an oven mitt and let that come to temp. Obviously an oven mitt can handle higher temps than that... anyways finding a means of gripping that nail for torque is TOUGH especially when you don't want to crush it in your hand. I obviously treated this thing as if it was FRAGILE, when it is likely decently more durable than I gave it credit for during the process.

Anyways, that wasn't enough so I grabbed a butter knife, because my toolkit is LACKING, and laid another heat safe pad on the table. I started GENTLY tapping the cap off from underneath while holding it with the other hand and while the coil was on at safe-to-touch temps. Similar to a frozen car door, once I knocked around the seal a bit, it started to come off. SWEET LIFE.

Inside was DISGUSTING. All around the inlet whole on the top of the cap leading down into the cup was a charred molten ash hill that was actually the only thing sealing the two items together as far as I could tell. As I was cleaning t the dish out, I got a feel for the density of the char and I mean, I would probably just refer to the char as straight cancer. I guess better on the dish than in my lungs...

Haha, either way, that was my success story. I had contacted Darid for some advice and he reached out prior to my attempt but I was out and about. Props to him for making time to try and help me out anyways!

grdwaste

Glass Psycho
Thanks guys! It ended up not being a big deal once I took a breath and just followed some advice as well as improvised a bit.

I left it on for quite a while at 900 but that didn't seem to be enough, it was still stuck together and EXTREMELY hot. So, I let it cool down completely.

Then I set the coil to 100 and grabbed an oven mitt and let that come to temp. Obviously an oven mitt can handle higher temps than that... anyways finding a means of gripping that nail for torque is TOUGH especially when you don't want to crush it in your hand. I obviously treated this thing as if it was FRAGILE, when it is likely decently more durable than I gave it credit for during the process.

Anyways, that wasn't enough so I grabbed a butter knife, because my toolkit is LACKING, and laid another heat safe pad on the table. I started GENTLY tapping the cap off from underneath while holding it with the other hand and while the coil was on at safe-to-touch temps. Similar to a frozen car door, once I knocked around the seal a bit, it started to come off. SWEET LIFE.

Inside was DISGUSTING. All around the inlet whole on the top of the cap leading down into the cup was a charred molten ash hill that was actually the only thing sealing the two items together as far as I could tell. As I was cleaning t the dish out, I got a feel for the density of the char and I mean, I would probably just refer to the char as straight cancer. I guess better on the dish than in my lungs...

Haha, either way, that was my success story. I had contacted Darid for some advice and he reached out prior to my attempt but I was out and about. Props to him for making time to try and help me out anyways!
I had this same situation happen. Kept the cap on for a week and dabbed a ton. At one point the hole was clogged and when I finally got it off from top to bottom was black char. Felt like rock. Kinda freaked me out but I did my best to clean it. I find even heating my coil to 900 doesn't get it hot enough to turn it into ash. I use my torch to clean it still

grdwaste,

420time

its nice that some enails have to temp range up to 1300 or 1400, with that im sure itll bake it right off within 2 hours or less.

420time,

EpicNameGuy

I'm not really sure if I should start a new thread or not, but my flat coil from auber crapped out. I'm assuming it's the coil anyways because the unit appears functional still.

I've used the hell out of it, so I will presume I'm going to get a month n a half or so worth of life from coils with my usage and that I just wore it out.

Of all the nails I've used, I think the ceramic enail n cap are by far my favorites so I want to continue using it, but REALLY don't want to deal with unwinding a flat coil to fit around the mentioned nail. I'd like to find a flat coil that fits well without modification. I've seen there is a ceramic coil for the 710 whip but I have a feeling it may not be wired correctly for the auber and I jave some concerns regarding a ceramic coils durability.

Does anyone have any recommendations here?

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I'm not really sure if I should start a new thread or not, but my flat coil from auber crapped out. I'm assuming it's the coil anyways because the unit appears functional still.

I've used the hell out of it, so I will presume I'm going to get a month n a half or so worth of life from coils with my usage and that I just wore it out.

Of all the nails I've used, I think the ceramic enail n cap are by far my favorites so I want to continue using it, but REALLY don't want to deal with unwinding a flat coil to fit around the mentioned nail. I'd like to find a flat coil that fits well without modification. I've seen there is a ceramic coil for the 710 whip but I have a feeling it may not be wired correctly for the auber and I jave some concerns regarding a ceramic coils durability.

Does anyone have any recommendations here?
One of the othe "bigger" enail companies uses ceramic for their coil also.(I forget the company name, but it's the one who stole HE's design right out from under them) When I spoke to Darid at Domeless.com, he told me he can do the same 5-pin XLR connection as the Auber coil comes with. When my coil dies, that's my plan anyway.

grdwaste

Glass Psycho
One of the othe "bigger" enail companies uses ceramic for their coil also.(I forget the company name, but it's the one who stole HE's design right out from under them) When I spoke to Darid at Domeless.com, he told me he can do the same 5-pin XLR connection as the Auber coil comes with. When my coil dies, that's my plan anyway.
Hive Ceramics

grdwaste,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Hive Ceramics doesn't make coils. I don't know why you posted that, but the company I was referencing was D*bJoy.

Silver420Surfer,

EpicNameGuy

I did see mention of that elsewhere on the forum, maybe in the auber thread. I'll probably just direct the ceramic coil questions his way while I'm exploring other options. it seemed in my case I had to really crank my coil up to get the nail n cap to good temps, so as long as a ceramic coil would be durable In the 800-850 range thats really all I need.

I'm sure the lifetime of these coils will depend on temps and average times at temp, but I was curious about how much lifespan you were all getting out of your various coils. I only have my first coil as a reference and I'm not really sure if < 2 months is good or not.

Top Bottom