Do you hate watching or listening to yourself?

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Grrrrg! I think this is one of the hardest parts of my 'fun job' is sitting and having to critique my own work.

Ive worked in (and out) of radio since I was 19, and nowdays I work with the local MMA scene doing commentary and emcee work. I would say STILL that the absolute hardest part of my job is looking back at the material (post production) and catching every single little mistake you made. Or looking at the fact that you are going bald much quicker than you gave yourself credit for. Or the fact that you failed to coordinate the camera angles with the videographer and now you get to look at the back of your head... And when you DO finally get the right shots you are thinking - "Damn, Im an ugly motherfucker!"

Meh, here we go with the pre-show jitters... I get em everytime.

AGBeer,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Oh I feel for you AG!! I could never do a job where I had to be in public. I cringe at every photo of myself and had to do an interview couple weeks ago...cringed at hearing my own voice. Can't imagine being in your shoes!

I'm sure you'll do fine ;) Have fun!!!

Lo,

vapirtoo

After a while you get use to it. Remember, everyone sees and hears you
like this all the time, and they still think your are OK. :rolleyes:
I hate to hear my voice and watch my body language,
but I realize it's cool... it's just not as James Bond as I thought. :lol:

vapirtoo,

hereatlast

This seems like a pretty common human reaction to me, we hear ourselves talk all the time but within ourselves almost...stepping outside of that is just weird (and maybe unnatural? I can't really think of any natural examples besides an echo, which seems very different in the final effect than a audio/video recording). It happens most often to me when on a cell-phone call and my own voice echos, I can't help but cringe as well :lol:

In any case, it may be indicative of someone's character if/when they like or love the sound of their own voice :rolleyes: That said, this doesn't seem all that uncommon a phenomenon either.

Best of luck with the job AGBeer, at the very least it sounds like MMA is enough a passion for you to trump the jitters. Enjoy the best you can. :)

hereatlast,

lwien

Very common. Some of the biggest names in the movie industry totally refuse to see any of their own movies.

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Cool deal, thanks for the support folks :D

Last nights show was awesome! Now I get to patiently await the videographer to edit and produce the DVD for this event. (So I can pick myself apart again) :p

AGBeer,

Lo

lol dude!! Don't pick yourself apart...I'm sure you did a great job :D

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Heh, thanks again Lo. Ive also learned that its almost EASIER to be your own critic because even if it does give you that funny feeling in your tummy, having to sit and listen to the critique of your program director or even worse - your wife, is more suck city. (Or my wife for that matter) :p

And while I hate to sit and critique myself, it does give me a little bit more confidence as to what I like and dont like and how I like to implement it when it comes showtime.

AGBeer,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
Having recorded music with a band before i hated listening back to it. Every time i heard myself screw up i cringed. It does help you improve though, that's what I've learned.

wowthisisrandom,

Lo

Ah...so it could be worse! You guys could be types that just adore watching/listening to yourself...thinking you look and sound perfect...like the very full of yourself type!! Way better to not be that way IMHO :D

Lo,
Top Bottom