Distillate becoming brittle?

Zipford

I normally keep distillate in a small silicone container, as it tends to be like a thick sticky honey. I noticed it gets darker over time (it takes me months to get through a gram), but the potency has always seemed fine.

But my last gram suddenly became solid and brittle, like I assume shatter is. I'm sure it is still fine to vape, but is this normal? It's kept at room temp in a small closed silicone container, and I've never seen that before.

GoldenBud

but the solid distillate is still clear? and the container was sealed all the time? can you please attach a photo of this? it MAY sound like this distillate wasn't the highest quality, bubble hash tends to be more solid over time, and bubble hash has more percentage of cholorophyll vs distillate, so, it may be the issue (excessive cholorphyll) but it's only an assumption now

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Zipford

Zipford

Yes, it still seems as clear as before, and the container was kept closed. It is just in a small silicone dab container -- it has a lid but it isn't airtight.

I bought the distillate from a MA dispensary in July 2021, and probably put it in the container two months ago. So obviously these are not "ideal" conditions, but I have done the exact same thing in the past with another brand of distillate and didn't have this issue. The material seems to get darker over time, but it always stayed the same thick consistency. And I've never noticed a drop in potency.

I don't think this distillate is really degraded in terms of potency either, but I've haven't seen this in the past and the reason I buy distillate over shatter is because I think it is easier to handle when loading. So I'd prefer not to end up with a solid and brittle concentrate. And all things considered, my concentrates are going to sit around a while before they get used, so if this is normal I'd probably start with wax over distillate.

Zipford,

GoldenBud

I'd say you've got a product that contains more chlorophyll that usual, but it's unlikely that you can feel the difference of the effects.. (10% here, 10% there)

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Zipford
Top Bottom