'The Misty Log' - DIY wooden Log Vaporizer

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁πŸͺ΅πŸ’ͺπŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨
Interesting & highly practical side effect of the last change to the user replaceable heater:

You can really mechanically fine tune the Log's temps now to your personal likings, by simply turning a screw, so to say. Using the DC jack's own nut for a threading by fastening it to the Log's base cavity, you can now move the heater about 5mm up or down within the heater cover, by simply giving the DC jack a few turns to the left or the right (best done with some tweezers, like I do in the vid above). Left turn pulls the heater a few mm down and makes the Log run cooler; right turn pushes the heater a few mm further up towards the crimp and makes the log run hotter.

Build in mechanical 'dimmer', so to say :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hotter running Log: DC jack (and heater) all the way in.

6xw7cl.jpg

Cooler running Log: DC jack given a few left turns, to pull the heater further down.

10gheus.jpg

Last edited:

ubardog

N in the world of Log 5mm is a MASSIVE difference!
Clever stuff @blokenoname Would be nice if you dropped the Teflon washer. You could do this with a 1mm shallow hole and then chisle out a hex, Inlaying the nut. Then washer and clip to hold it in as you do.

ubardog

Yea! put the Kettle on drill a log. lol :D
now you just need to get rid of the kitchen sink and get a lathe
Keep it up man :D

blokenoname

Done :clap:

This is rock solid now, with the screws holding the heater cover. Clipring in the bottom cavity is a #26 now, which needs hammering in, for the final fit ;)
Dropped it from about 1,5m hight onto the carpeted floor five times now and there's not even a rattle :rockon:

51rrkx.jpg

288qv7a.jpg

brainiac

log wrangler
What a really attractive lookin log :luv:
Great to see it in the process of construction. I can see that you've screwed down the hc and then covered the screws with an ss washer held in place with a clipring, plus there's a second clipring in the base cavity.
No wonder it passed the drop tests - that is certainly a solid build :nod:
The choice of oak also lends itself to the overall sense that this is a unit that's really made to last.

Another fine piece of workmanship, Bloke :cheers:
Ofc I'll ensure that it's thoroughly tested :science: and will post the results here :tup:

blokenoname

Misty construction in not so many words :cool:
I guess, this is pretty much now resembling what I envisioned, when I first set out on this project last year :nod:

A simple, but durable Log Vape, made from wood & stainless steel, that hits like a truck while conserving tons of material and doesn't look too bad :D

2a0eywj.jpg

sqh95d.jpg

2ro3y89.jpg

2rn8rrd.jpg

blokenoname

Ok. Wooden dd stem and 14mm WonG! :clap:
The dd stem is made from a 12mm pine dowel. The WonG from a 14mm beech dowel. Tapered the end by fixing a 12mm OD washer to one end of the 14mm dowel with a small screw and filing the other end down with a coarse grit wood file to roughly 10mm OD, so that I could fasten it into the chuck of the drill press. Now, with the drill press turning at a low rpm, I press a pad with 80 grit sandpaper against the rotating dowel in a slight angle, until it reaches the edge of the 12mm washer at the bottom.
Unfasten from drill chuck; saw off the part of the dowel, that has been inserted into the chuck; drill hole through the length of your WonG; widen bore at the top to 8mm, to accommodate the tip; finish with fine grit sandpaper and steel wool.
Well, 14mm to 12mm is not much of a taper to begin with, but it fits perfectly and seals air tight :)

2dtw2v9.jpg

Another way for tapering the WPA, I came across, was this one here. Looks doable too:

27wr2o4.jpg

Last edited:

brainiac

log wrangler
Wongs are high on my to do list. But this is the bit that I find difficult:
drill hole through the length of your WonG

Misty took a tumble about a week ago. Got dropped and the heater cover came loose. The unit was still perfectly functional... but it did rattle :\ Bloke advised me on repairs so I got to work :o

Removed the retaining clipring and washer. Modified a M8 x 25mm washer by drilling it out to 10mm and filing two nudges into it (as in post #347). Placed it over the heater cover and screwed it down.

lower-washer.jpg

Bloke said I didn't need to drill holes for the screws but my long shank drill bits arrived this morning - so I drilled it :). Not the most elegant piece of work but that heater cover is now very firmly in situ.
Replaced top washer and ringclip....

Top-washer.jpg

...tested it :science: - and - it works fine :tup:.

Yesterday I decided to check that the wiring was OK so I removed the felt base cover and the cork plug.

Misty-Inside.jpg

Yep, all looks fine.
Re-seated the cork plug and - speciat treat for Misty - replaced the felt with leather.

Misty-New-Base.jpg

A very instructive exercise for me :nod: - a statement that goes for this entire thread, really :)

Thanks Bloke. That's another beer I owe you :cheers:

blokenoname

Great work there, @brainiac :clap:

Now this Misty is up to specs with my most recent units, from the tech side of things :nod:
The possibility of the heater cover coming loose has been one of the last bigger known issues with the betas, pending long term solution. Using screws in combination with mechanically fastening the tube to the washer, solved that neatly now.
And that leather bottom looks right classy there :rockon:

brainiac

log wrangler
Don't hold your breath @Megaton - it'll be a while yet.
Still gathering parts, tools and knowledge :)
Local Jewsons does 50mm 'mopstick' in pine, but..
...still dithering about a drill press :hmm:

Anyway, big news at Brainiac Towers - according to a tracking number - new oak Misty unit inbound for testing purposes :rockon:

Brilliant start to 2019 :D

blokenoname

I'd look for an old 2nd hand drill press, like mine. Got it for a whopping EUR 30,- ;)

If investing in something new, I'd go directly for a small lathe, rather than for the drill press. Will probably my next purchase anyway, as apart from minute changes, I don't think I can improve much on the tech side of things now. Only thing to upgrade, would be the bodies.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
You can really mechanically fine tune the Log's temps now to your personal likings, by simply turning a screw, so to say. Using the DC jack's own nut for a threading by fastening it to the Log's base cavity, you can now move the heater about 5mm up or down within the heater cover, by simply giving the DC jack a few turns to the left or the right (best done with some tweezers, like I do in the vid above). Left turn pulls the heater a few mm down and makes the Log run cooler; right turn pushes the heater a few mm further up towards the crimp and makes the log run hotter.

I really like this feature, very clever.
Today is my first day off after 21 days of work so I'll finally be able to spend some time with the Misty.

blokenoname

@blokenoname cant wait to see what you can do once you get your hands on a lathe!
Probably some dreadful looking clusterfuck, at first :lol:

Edit: Ok... doesn't look like rocket science! With a bit of trial&error, I should be able to manage the basics and the rest will develop from there, I guess.

On another note: Walnut, Cherry, Maple and some fresh stainless steel tubing incoming :rockon:

Last edited:

blokenoname

Evening, folks :)

Tidied up the Misty2Go and for simplicity's sake, I just decided to make it into a real miniature 510 Log Vape and won't bother with a 'home base'. More comfortable anyway, to simply use a regular Log there.
Dimensions are 30mm * 60mm; 50w cartridge heater at 2,8ohm; top bore is 15mm wide and allows for a 15mm wooden stem/bowl, 14mm Solo/Air glass stems and regular Log Vape stems/WPAs with a 8mm/5/16" ss tip and most regular glass Log Vape stems & GonGs, that fit a 9mm or 3/8" heater cover. There is a clipring further down on the heater cover, to serve as a stop. Pre-heat is about 35 secs now, fired at 35w.
For a full convection portable with a cartridge heater, that's 'on demand' enough for me personally. Who can't wait half a minute for a toke... well, there are enough faster options out there ;)

21b6fqw.jpg

2v8rghc.jpg

2lllhy9.jpg

Last edited:

brainiac

log wrangler
My faithful OG Firefly (and only portable) is more than 3.5 years old and needs gently easing off
into retirement :myday: so this M2G option for those 'away missions' is looking very attractive :clap:

* sigh*.. looks like my to-do list just got a bit longer :D.

blokenoname

Oh, this one is really quite easy to make. :nod:
The velocity base; the 12v/50w cartridge; 35mm/9mm heater cover; small M8 15/9mm washer, 15mm clipring (intern), debris screen; 9mm clipring (extern) and the wooden body.
No soldering, no nothing.

ETA: Air intake is via the heater cover here, as I just shortened an old and battered one. But you can also just drill two small intake holes into the base of the body and din't bother with drilling the cover. Probably even better, as this allows for use of o-rings or a thin silicone ring around the glass mouthpieces & GonGs, for an even tighter fit and 100% seal. Not that this would be needed, but... ;)

Last edited:

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Today is my first day off after 21 days of work so I'll finally be able to spend some time with the Misty.

After one afternoon of highliy scientific testing I can confirm this thing rocks.
Tried it with weed, kief, even some hash and it managed everything with ease.
Plugged straight into the power supply gives the perfect temperature for usage through water while the dimmer allows to reduce the harshness for direct draw. Anyway vapor is pretty smooth even at the max temperature.
As I already said it's the only vape I ever tried that rivals the Vapman in terms of efficiency with small loads.
Bonus video of a bubbler hit: https://streamable.com/xsg6z
Congratulations and thanks again @blokenoname

Top Bottom