Could someone from the US please post Canadian Election results here?

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
VWFringe said:
i saw a video about Alternative voting on youtube, seemed like a way of getting people elected who normally wouldn't be... without runoffs at least. what do your critics say about it?
I don't know if it would actually change all that much in the results of our elections; according to some research it would cause a rise in number of seats changing per election from 13% to 16%, which is hardly a revolution. But it does therefore still transfer a bit more power to the electorate, which I thought would be a good thing.

i see AV was voted down, but no real analysis, just finger pointing,

Yes it's a shame IMO. We need some change in rotten 2 party system that has many feeling dis empowered- a vote for a different party is seen as a wasted vote. It was widely expected, and even many agreeing we are in need of some sort of electoral reform still voted 'no' as this still wasn't perceived to be the best solution. It will be a long time before the chance comes again though. It's also been a minefield of misinformation though as well. The slogan of the No campaign was 'one person, one vote' which is pretty misleading in itself.

But at the end of the day it was a fairly robust result. 42% turnout, with 67.9% rejecting AV. Not much you can say.

my wife watches the BBC America, i was watching for a minute, pointed out their map of Israel was wrong, and so was their reporting - it sounded almost like here in the States, a global mis-information campaign.
Aye, the Beeb aren't what they used to be, but I'm surprised they got Israel wrong. I've not noticed too many inaccuracies, but I find I feel they don't give the appropriate attention to the right stories. I don't think the TV news networks are as heavily politicised in the UK as in the USA (although i don't know much about US news) and are meant to be impartial. But aside of any more strategic political agendas, like so much TV based news, especially in the 24hr News broadcasting age nowadays, it's become so picture/video driven. It could be a significant worthy story, but it won't be given the due attention by the news networks unless it's go the pics or video to accompany it. It's feels more about selling us an entertaining news show and getting the viewing figures and that associated prestige, rather than key content informing us on the important goings on :2c:

WatTyler,
Top Bottom