Computer modem question--DSL modem

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
We are having problems with the modem AT&T gave us, and we hate it. We want to go buy a better one, but aren't sure what we should get. We already bought a Cisco Valet Plus, but that wont help with a crappy modem. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help I can get. :D

Vicki,

lwien

I've been using the AT&T DSL modem (2Wire) for years without any problems. What is it about the modem that you don't like? I'm using ethernet though, so that may be the difference.

lwien,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
lynksys & dlink r reliable wireless routers, chek reviews

She is asking about modems, not routers.

Vicki, are you just running one computer straight to the modem or are you connecting through a router or to a network of some sort?

aesthyrian,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
I've been using the AT&T DSL modem (2Wire) for years without any problems. What is it about the modem that you don't like? I'm using ethernet though, so that may be the difference.

We hate that our modem keeps dropping us, losing connection constantly. It's driving me insane. :mad:

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
aesthyrian said:
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
lynksys & dlink r reliable wireless routers, chek reviews

She is asking about modems, not routers.

Vicki, are you just running one computer straight to the modem or are you connecting through a router or to a network of some sort?

We have home networking. We have 3 computers and a Wii.

Vicki,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Vicki said:
lwien said:

We hate that our modem keeps dropping us, losing connection constantly. It's driving me insane. :mad:

That's probably more of a line problem then a modem problem. Too much noise on a line would cause similar behavior. Have you tried contacting AT&T to check signal quality from the central to your house?

Skunkypete,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Skunkypete said:
Vicki said:
lwien said:

That's probably more of a line problem then a modem problem. Too much noise on a line would cause similar behavior. Have you tried contacting AT&T to check signal quality from the central to your house?

They have already checked our lines. They even came to our home, and checked the outside lines and the pole itself. They said they found no problem. I really just wish I could get a new DSL modem to go with our Cisco.

Anyone have any recommendations for good DSL modems, without wireless routers, since that is the function of the Cisco.

Vicki,

lwien

Vicki said:
Skunkypete said:
Vicki said:

They have already checked our lines. They even came to our home, and checked the outside lines and the pole itself. They said they found no problem. I really just wish I could get a new DSL modem to go with our Cisco.

Anyone have any recommendations for good DSL modems, without wireless routers, since that is the function of the Cisco.

I had the exact same problem about a month ago. Intermittent drops. Had At@t come out to the house about 3 different times. They checked the home wiring and the outside poles as well as the junction box about 2 blocks away. They even checked the connections on their end. Didn't find any problems. I too thought it was a modem problem, so I asked for a new one being that mine was still under warranty. They then sent out a supervisor who rechecked the wiring coming into the house and he found that the connections were loose and after tightening them up, everything worked fine, and has since.

Just giving you an fyi that the problem may not be with the modem at all.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Vicki said:
Skunkypete said:

I had the exact same problem about a month ago. Intermittent drops. Had At@t come out to the house about 3 different times. They checked the home wiring and the outside poles as well as the junction box about 2 blocks away. They even checked the connections on their end. Didn't find any problems. I too thought it was a modem problem, so I asked for a new one being that mine was still under warranty. They then sent out a supervisor who rechecked the wiring coming into the house and he found that the connections were loose and after tightening them up, everything worked fine, and has since.

Just giving you an fyi that the problem may not be with the modem at all.

They have been out here 3 times as well, and checked everything they checked with you. My husband is on his way to pick up a Motorola DSL modem. AT&T actually wanted to charge us 100.00 again for a new modem.

Vicki,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Your hubby beat me to it. I was going to suggest Motorola as your modem manufacturer.
Over the years, they seem to have been consistently solid when it comes to the hardware aspect.

And for those who were wondering - Linksys IS Cisco ;)

AGBeer,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
AGBeer said:
Your hubby beat me to it. I was going to suggest Motorola as your modem manufacturer.
Over the years, they seem to have been consistently solid when it comes to the hardware aspect.

That seems to be the consensus. Hubby is on his way home with it now. I hope the combination of this new Motorola DSL modem and the Cisco Valet Plus fixes the problem. We are really over this. :rolleyes:

AGBeer said:

I actually did not know that. I heard Cisco is top of the line for wireless routers/home networking.

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Vicki said:
AGBeer said:

That seems to be the consensus. Hubby is on his way home with it now. I hope the combination of this new Motorola DSL modem and the Cisco Valet Plus fixes the problem. We are really over this. :rolleyes:

AGBeer said:

I actually did not know that. I heard Cisco is top of the line for wireless routers/home networking.

Ok, I'm very happy now. Hubby just finished installing both the modem, and wireless router. My connection has been stable and reliable, actually, better than it was. I hope this trend continues. :D

Thank you for all the help guys!! :)

Vicki,
Top Bottom